THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Casho

Found some matches.
I know that there has been many threads concerning the pro’s and con’s of using water pans in a UDS (and I have read them all) with the consensus seeming to be that this is unnecessary and results in increased fuel consumption and a loss of flavour from not having the juices vaporise on the coals.

My question has a slightly different slant, as my primarily concern is the potential cancer link with smoke being created that contains benzopyrene (and other nasties) from the juices hitting the coals.

Before I get shouted down about being an alarmist, I would just note that I am pretty sensitive to the risks of bowel cancer as based on my family history I am prone to this from a young age (as are my children).

I have my heart set on buying a Gateway UDS, but I am concerned that I am really losing the benefits of this smoker by using a water pan. Would I be better to just buy a WSM or an offset smoker?

I know that a potential compromise would be to use a diffuser rather than a water pan, but my understanding is that the vaporised smoke could still contain some nasties.

Perhaps, I have blown the health risks out of all perspective, and I am definitely not prepared to turn my back on my love of BBQ, but I don’t think it is unreasonable given my family history to take some precautions. Without the family history, I probably just wanted care.

I would really appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
The only time I use a water pan is to catch drippings for certain things, even then it's still direct for the first part of the cook because I like the direct energy on the meat...creates more flavors.

If my brisket turns out half as good as that, I would be a happy man!

Is the water pan more of an issue if I intend to cook hot and fast (say around 300 to 320F)?

Is the water pan more of an issue if I intend to cook hot and fast (say around 300 to 320F)?
Yup, it will evaporate, and all those drippings will burn.
I never use a water pan in my UDS or any cooker, but that's just me.
I don't even pan under pork shoulders or other messy meats that I see here people trying to keep their cookers clean.
Probably works for daily guys, but I run my UDS 10 time a season or so.

I just refill every couple hrs. I cooks 300* ish.......

Doesn't sound like too much of an hassle. The Gateway UDS has a second lower shelf. It sounds like I should just buy a second grate to go on this shelf and to put a water pan (which is big enough) to cover the charcoal basket on that grate.

Would it make much a difference if I just cooked the meat directly over a pan on the top grate, so I could just refill without lifting the food grate?

In Australia, the WSM 22" is a fair amount cheaper than the Gateway Smoker. If I insist on using a water pan, should I not bother with the Gateway Smoker and just buy a WSM 22"?

I am not in a position to make my own UDS.

Back