Some thoughts on experience and BBQ myths...

I think that you need to q, q, q, q, experiment and q some more. The only real way is to cook a sh$t load and try different things, take notes for yourself, read the brethren and q some more. Listening to everyone's way or style of cooking and trying to gleen tips from them, and some of these may be very subtle, but make a huge difference in the way your q will turn out and taste. Q Q Q Q Q and Q some more.!!!

Being a beginner smoker I think that the biggest myth was that I could take a recipe straight out of a book or off the internet, follow it to the letter, and like it. Peoples tastes are very different. It took me six tries to get my ribs the way I really like them but well worth the effort. This was very frustrating at first. When I do a smoke now I always fix something that I know I will like but on a second rack put on something new to try. The tips on this site have been a big help for my ribs. But it wasn't a single plug and play recipe that I used. It was bits and pieces of of recipes that others have tried.

Words of Wisdom right there!

I have seen folks stress out for days over something as simple as "membrane OFF or ON", when it is just so simple to cook two slabs and see for themselves. And both will be "Good Eats".

TIM

I'd like to see some supporting info for this statement as well. This is the first I ever heard of this and I've lived in both NC and VA.
Many a book out there on the history of North Carolina 'que that support this.
To name one......North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored by time by Bob Garner. Read a few passages from the 'look inside this book' under the cover photo:
Amazon.com: North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored by Time (9780895871527): Bob Garner: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ymdjV0YAL.@@AMEPARAM@@51ymdjV0YAL
There a few others I'll have to dig up that state something similar, that the regions bbq was formed around Jamestown, Va. in the Tidewater section which makes since if you think how the settlers settled in that region first, then spread outwards.
Virginia isn't known for being the 'pig capital' for nothing :wink:

you my friend have my attitude it is done when it is done. I do not need a slide rule and ten thermometers and a sun dial I truly beleive that you either have it or you don't. Sure the more you practice hopefully the better you will get my mother could never give you a recipe on paper her reply was I do it by feel

Many a book out there on the history of North Carolina 'que that support this.
To name one......North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored by time by Bob Garner. Read a few passages from the 'look inside this book' under the cover photo:
Amazon.com: North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored by Time (9780895871527): Bob Garner: Books
There a few others I'll have to dig up that state something similar, that the regions bbq was formed around Jamestown, Va. in the Tidewater section which makes since if you think how the settlers settled in that region first, then spread outwards.
Virginia isn't known for being the 'pig capital' for nothing :wink:

I have that book. I'll have to re-read that section. But I'm not sure I ever emember being told growing up that the style of cooking like that ever originated in NC any how. However, I do have a strong opinion that it has been perfected in NC. But, as we all know...every one has an opinion!!!

Briskets are easy, it's the overthinking that is the problem...

Briskets are easy! Early on in my BBQ journey I always read that briskets were almost impossible unless ya had yrs experience.. My first try turned out great! Haven't looked back since!
And another thought... RED THERMAPENS ARE FASTER THAN OTHER COLORS!!!:twisted:

Exactly. I do my briskets and pork butts at 300. Enough of this crap getting up in the middle of the night to throw a briskie on. I put it on and 9 and eat at 3-4.

You just described me...
I accidentally smoked at a higher temp one time... I wasn't using a gauge.
I pulled when it looked right. The time was much shorter than I had expected, but the meat was done.
It was tender too.

It took several more smokes before I realized the temps. I wanted to shoot for.
Now days my Briskets are more than likely smoked between 275° and 300°.
Chicken around 325° to 350°.

Some of you smoke at a lower temp. and some smoke at a higher temp.
I don't smoke in competition, so I've only got to please myself and those I cook for on occasion.

Just My Opinion:
I may have got lazy as I've aged, but I'm getting a good product with less time smoking, than I did when I was doing low and slow. :idea:

I still on occasion smoke low and slow... but those occasions are getting further apart. (Definitely lazy)

Last edited:
Back