THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just saw some Hatch Chile in the store this morning and had the same idea! Just not quite on the same scale as you (I just bought 4 nice sized ones to roast on the kettle for my wife). She loves Hatch Chiles!

I like corn torts and I cannot lie....

attachment.php

MooseLikes_zps5f21f484.jpg

Tough to find good ones around here. I remember driving to a grocery store last year or the year before that was advertising them. We drove over an hour to get there and they were pretty well sold out. They had a couple of barrel roasters out front if people wanted them roasted. There was literally a line clear around the store waiting to roast their newly purchased peppers. :shocked:

Does anybody know of a reputable company that ships good (hot) raw Hatch Peppers for a reasonable rate?

Tough to find good ones around here. I remember driving to a grocery store last year or the year before that was advertising them. We drove over an hour to get there and they were pretty well sold out. They had a couple of barrel roasters out front if people wanted them roasted. There was literally a line clear around the store waiting to roast their newly purchased peppers. :shocked:

Does anybody know of a reputable company that ships good (hot) raw Hatch Peppers for a reasonable rate?

A quick search revealed these folks: http://gravesfarmandgarden.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=76

It's just the shipping cost that's a killer. I'm sure there are others.

Standard shipping rate isn't too bad. Problem is, no telling how much wilt will occur in those few days during transit. I'm sure they could answer those questions though.

A quick search revealed these folks: http://gravesfarmandgarden.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=76

It's just the shipping cost that's a killer. I'm sure there are others.

Standard shipping rate isn't too bad. Problem is, no telling how much wilt will occur in those few days during transit. I'm sure they could answer those questions though.

Thanks - yeah, I did a search. Just wondered if anybody had any first hand experience

The company you linked will ship a bushel to me for a bit over $50 2nd day Fedex, but I'm not sure how well they hold up to 2 day this time of year. Also never calls them "Hatch", only green chilies and they are based in Roswell.

Ah well. We have friends from outside of Albuquerque who are coming out at the end of the month. Maybe I'll hit them up. :mrgreen:

Thanks - yeah, I did a search. Just wondered if anybody had any first hand experience

The company you linked will ship a bushel to me for a bit over $50 2nd day Fedex, but I'm not sure how well they hold up to 2 day this time of year. Also never calls them "Hatch", only green chilies and they are based in Roswell.

Ah well. We have friends from outside of Albuquerque who are coming out at the end of the month. Maybe I'll hit them up. :mrgreen:

Many thing to consider, some sell green chile, but not from Hatch just like you said. Plus, it all depends on when they pick it and the number of days from there that it ships to you. The season is about 3-4 weeks, so your friends from Albuquerque should be able to bring some to you!

I just got a pound at Fresh Market here in Orlando, FL ... $1.99/lb .. ouch.

Wanted to try them .. so looks like salsas, quesadillas are the more popular items people make with these.

You just need to suck it up and plan to get Hatch Chile. There are many roastings in SoCal nowadays, you need to get there EARLY, and prepare to wait for roasting. It is a fun annual event, well worth the small effort. I guarantee that if you call the produce manager(at a store prior to a scheduled roasting) and explain your situation, they will set a case or two aside for you.

Here is a link to the most comprehensive list of SoCal roastings that I know of, plenty of dates still to come: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/983698

Back