Hatch Green Chile Crop Report

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Just FYI if it affects your decision to buy now or wait

The Hatch Chile Store has had disheartening news this week. The extreme heat has taken a toll on the Chile fields and caused what is known as a harvest gap. Our farmers are also seeing huge quantities of chile with what is called tip rot or blossom end rot. Whole fields that are typically beautiful and brimming with beautiful green pods are now mostly ruined by the heat and tip burn.

I've already got mine. Blistered my own this year. I canned quite a few and froze the rest.

Not ambitious enough to toast/roast and rely on Hatch Valley 505 fom Amazon. Still have a couple bottles in the pantry. Going to buy another 5# before the price goes up again.

The ones that arrived at my Dillons store looked pretty sad. No buying those.

Mine are coming in but just enough for roasting them fresh from the plant for the meal of choice. Heat and bugs causing some issues.

8# ordered. we'll see what comes.

I'm not going crazy panic. I'm in the store often enough buying veggies , produce etc I'll check the bins for meaty peppers with color. If not good then so it goes. As for the canned, jarred,fresh chop frozen in freezer case they'll work fine. My crazy days of putting up 30+# of roasted are probably behind me.

Back