So when is the sauce contest going to end?

Do some of us cooks a favor on this forum,keep your opinion to yourself and give out 6's with a comment card telling the cook that it was over sauced, if that's your opinion...........

You obviously missed the point, it is not just my opinion. And don't be so pretentious; many of us judges are damned fine cooks ourselves, who don't compete for various reasons. People that keep an open mind might pick up a point or two, just as I have filed away many pointers from the Brethren over the years.

The last contests I judged were all about the sauce, because you could barely taste the meat. Thick, gooey sauce smothering the chicken and ribs. Pork not so much. Even some brisket entries had sweet sauce.

Who is driving this 'sweet to win' mantra? It sure isn't the judges that I judge with, because they were all grinching about the heavy handed sauce. A little sweet and heat kick on chicken and ribs is nice, but somewhere along the line 'if a little is good then a lot is better' took over.

I'm hoping this trend will die away, the sooner the better. :rant2: :popcorn:

I think we are taking offense to the entire premise of this question as well as the tone. It comes off as a huge generalization with a healthy dose of "my sh!t don't stink" tossed in.

The cooks I know take extreme pride in the BBQ we turn in. So forgive us if we are a tiny bit insulted when you come on this forum and belittle our collective work.

As for what is driving the trend? We spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours each year trying to do one thing. Get a nine. We cook every weekend, we take classes, we compare experiences. Trust me when I say, the judges are the only thing driving trends in BBQ because your opinion is all that matters.

Scores have never been higher. 180 and 700 pins are flying out so fast I'm surprised KCBS can keep them in stock. You may dislike the current flavor profiles being served up but the numbers don't lie. You are in a very tiny minority.

I think we are taking offense to the entire premise of this question as well as the tone. It comes off as a huge generalization with a healthy dose of "my sh!t don't stink" tossed in.

That is how YOU interpret it, not the original intent. Chip on your shoulder?

You are in a very tiny minority.

Not based on judges talking at the last three events I've been at this spring/summer. BALANCE.

:tape:

Just saw a box on a turn in critique page on Facebook for chicken that scored a 175 and had tons of sauce. Looked like from the MO area of the US. It all depends on what judges you get I guess.

Just saw a box on a turn in critique page on Facebook for chicken that scored a 175 and had tons of sauce. Looked like from the MO area of the US. It all depends on what judges you get I guess.

Explain to me please, how do you get a 175 based on a critique my box on Facebook, or am I misunderstanding?

Lol.... Now only cooks are allowed to give any opinions here?

Nah, hell let them all step up and make fools of their selves.:razz:

Most young cooks will ask for help or an opinion if they are in need of one, but I'm guessing most would rather have that opinion come from a top chicken cook....I could be wrong,because I have been before or at least that is what some judge told me on a score card!:mrgreen:

Do some of us cooks a favor on this forum,keep your opinion to yourself and give out 6's with a comment card telling the cook that it was over sauced, if that's your opinion...........

He already said he won't give out 6s, because then he has to fill out a comment card and that takes too long. He will keep giving 7s, it's easier.

He already said he won't give out 6s, because then he has to fill out a comment card and that takes too long. He will keep giving 7s, it's easier.

Nope, anyone can learn something if they keep an open mind. I'm amending my scoring to give out a quick reply comment card, simply stating 'over sauced' if I can't taste the meat. BALANCE.

Taste
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Taste is very subjective and therefore very hard to teach. The class will provide some guidelines and helpful hints. Does it have flavor or is it lacking flavor? You need to consider if the sample has a balance of flavors by incorporating the five (5) tastes-sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Mod Note:

That's enough with the name calling! This Happy Anniversary! Been a rational discussion until the last few posts. Everyone is welcome to voice their opinion. If you disagree, present yours in a respectful manner or move on.

You're getting pretty defensive over your opinion.

No, just weary of all of the chest thumpers who make denigrating remarks, instead off discussing the issue.

In this whole thread, I have not seen one comment explaining to me how a cook thinks an entry with heavy sauce is BALANCED. No discussion, just chest thumping by the usual suspects.

Back