Alabama White sauce

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Judged an Iowa BBQ Society event today. It is a yearly fund raiser for someone in the community with a health issue, usually cancer.
All meats are provided by the organizer and this year included ground turkey.
Did you know turkey has no particular flavor and if you don't add it, it sucks?
15 minute turn around between turkey and chicken, nobody told the TC about it and was I surprised!!
The first chicken entry I presented was (hold on to your hats) in the middle of corn rasing Iowa, was a 6 piece of untrimmed monster chicken thigh, with Alabama White Sauce all over the top. Damn hell, I nearly giggled out loud!
After presentation and handing out entries, I sat down and was just going to let that sweet, smooth white sauce slide all over my senses.
WAIT, the whole bottom side of the thigh was burnt blacker than Toby's you know what! The skin was missing and the delicious Alabama White Sauce my tongue was searching for, was fuking mayonnaise!!!!!
I was gonna pitch a fit but held back as not to upset the other judges that were thinking, Yum mayonnaise.
This guy sent in black crunchy ribs, dry overcooked pork, and a healthy thick black, way dry brisket slice and square end.
Bless his little heart for helping out....the bastage!
Ed

Ed,
From what I read, you pre-judged an event yesterday. The only acceptable chicken entry as far as I can tell is a super sweet chicken thigh that has been so over trimmed that it is hardly recognizable from an actual chicken thigh. It should be small enough that you can get either 6 or 9 "thighs" in a box and it should be somewhat red in color.

The fact that being served a white sauced chicken almost made you laugh shows that you weren't really going to give the entry a fair chance. It didn't fit your predetermined idea of what a good entry was. It's one of the reasons I don't competition cook any longer. Why waste time and money giving someone the exact same entry as every other cook? Where's the fun in that? I guarantee there are people out there who cook chicken on a kettle grill that can produce chicken that would make you see stars and they've never trimmed a piece of chicken in their life.

You then went on to mock the cook for tasting the mayo in the white sauce. It's the primary ingredient in white sauce. I'm not sure what you were expecting. I guess if it was just straight mayo maybe you would have a gripe.

Maybe you're trying to be funny. If you were, it didn't come across as funny. It felt like you were coming from a position of superiority over the cook. Almost like "hey, look at this dumb guy for giving us a white sauce entry here in good 'ole Iowa". This person put their time and effort into it and it wasn't good, but hey.......they came out and gave it their best. Maybe they were just doing it to help out the organizer. They certainly didn't deserve to have their work blasted here.

Finally, the comment about how black the bottom of the chicken was and using a derogatory slur to compare it too, is outside the bounds of the this board as far as I'm concerned. I'll be forwarding this to the mod for their opinion.

I think you should re-read Ed's post again. To me it sounds like he was excited he was going to get real chicken with Alabama white sauce. Instead he got burnt chicken with no skin, slathered in mayonnaise. :noidea:

And he did thank the entrant for supporting the cause.

Oh, sorry Matt, are you cooking again!!!

Matt, I think we've met years ago, and even without having some sense of me personally, or just reading my posts here over the last 16 years, you certainly must be able to see the levity in my story.
There is no judge more willing to judge any off the wall process, flavor, or look than myself.
Prejudice, not really my thing....
Ed

Ed,
From what I read, you pre-judged an event yesterday. The only acceptable chicken entry as far as I can tell is a super sweet chicken thigh that has been so over trimmed that it is hardly recognizable from an actual chicken thigh. It should be small enough that you can get either 6 or 9 "thighs" in a box and it should be somewhat red in color.

The fact that being served a white sauced chicken almost made you laugh shows that you weren't really going to give the entry a fair chance. It didn't fit your predetermined idea of what a good entry was. It's one of the reasons I don't competition cook any longer. Why waste time and money giving someone the exact same entry as every other cook? Where's the fun in that? I guarantee there are people out there who cook chicken on a kettle grill that can produce chicken that would make you see stars and they've never trimmed a piece of chicken in their life.

You then went on to mock the cook for tasting the mayo in the white sauce. It's the primary ingredient in white sauce. I'm not sure what you were expecting. I guess if it was just straight mayo maybe you would have a gripe.

Maybe you're trying to be funny. If you were, it didn't come across as funny. It felt like you were coming from a position of superiority over the cook. Almost like "hey, look at this dumb guy for giving us a white sauce entry here in good 'ole Iowa". This person put their time and effort into it and it wasn't good, but hey.......they came out and gave it their best. Maybe they were just doing it to help out the organizer. They certainly didn't deserve to have their work blasted here.

Finally, the comment about how black the bottom of the chicken was and using a derogatory slur to compare it too, is outside the bounds of the this board as far as I'm concerned. I'll be forwarding this to the mod for their opinion.

What the heck is your issue?

I didn’t get any of that out of Ed’s post. You should go crawl back in bed and try getting out the other side.

Last edited:
Back