Smoked Stuffed Eggplant

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
Shrimp Stuffed Eggplant is a pretty common dish in Cajun Kitchens. Shrimp is abundant and eggplant grows well here. A number of years ago I had a really good smoked Baba Ghanoush and knew I wanted to incorporate smoke into my stuffed eggplant, so this is how I do them now.

I had a number of eggplant out of the garden, 3 different varieties.
1rHFe0O.jpg

I put the 3 large ones in salted boiling water for a couple of minutes while I peeled the rest and chopped coarsly. After a couple minutes boiling I split the 3 large eggplant in half and scooped out the pulp leaving about 1/4 inch in the shell and loaded all of the eggplant into a grilling basket.
52xGg46.jpg

I smoked the eggplant at about 350 for 30 minutes.
JRUOKRB.jpg

I melted a stick of butter in a pan
and added trinity,
rpd0QDE.jpg

cooked till soft then added garlic for a minute before adding the smoked eggplant and seasoned with cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
qALMyCf.jpg

Smothered it down until the eggplant was cooked down using shrimp stock as a liquid
7R5cVCn.jpg

While the eggplant was cooking down I had chopped up and seasoned 2 lbs of peeled shrimp. I added the shrimp and a good bit of chopped oregano and thyme it to the cooked eggplant, cooked until the shrimp was just cooked through, I added breadcrumbs until it was at a consistency I liked
oDeqhbK.jpg

I stuffed the eggplant shells with the stuffing (and had plenty left over)
Zz6v6Vk.jpg
and put the eggplant in the smoker as I was pulling off some jerk chicken.
ZxzYb2v.jpg

30 minutes at about 350 and it was done
z8XkfMJ.jpg

It was great on the plate (and the chicken didn't suck either
JVsRcwH.jpg

I like it! Have you thought about topping in with a some cheese like parmesan or provolone?

Back