THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
Shrimp Stuffed Eggplant is a pretty common dish in Cajun Kitchens. Shrimp is abundant and eggplant grows well here. A number of years ago I had a really good smoked Baba Ghanoush and knew I wanted to incorporate smoke into my stuffed eggplant, so this is how I do them now.

I had a number of eggplant out of the garden, 3 different varieties.
1rHFe0O.jpg

I put the 3 large ones in salted boiling water for a couple of minutes while I peeled the rest and chopped coarsly. After a couple minutes boiling I split the 3 large eggplant in half and scooped out the pulp leaving about 1/4 inch in the shell and loaded all of the eggplant into a grilling basket.
52xGg46.jpg

I smoked the eggplant at about 350 for 30 minutes.
JRUOKRB.jpg

I melted a stick of butter in a pan
and added trinity,
rpd0QDE.jpg

cooked till soft then added garlic for a minute before adding the smoked eggplant and seasoned with cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
qALMyCf.jpg

Smothered it down until the eggplant was cooked down using shrimp stock as a liquid
7R5cVCn.jpg

While the eggplant was cooking down I had chopped up and seasoned 2 lbs of peeled shrimp. I added the shrimp and a good bit of chopped oregano and thyme it to the cooked eggplant, cooked until the shrimp was just cooked through, I added breadcrumbs until it was at a consistency I liked
oDeqhbK.jpg

I stuffed the eggplant shells with the stuffing (and had plenty left over)
Zz6v6Vk.jpg
and put the eggplant in the smoker as I was pulling off some jerk chicken.
ZxzYb2v.jpg

30 minutes at about 350 and it was done
z8XkfMJ.jpg

It was great on the plate (and the chicken didn't suck either
JVsRcwH.jpg

I like it! Have you thought about topping in with a some cheese like parmesan or provolone?

Back