Smoked pork loin cook tips?

cow

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
AC
Hey all .. I am doing a pork loin soon (top loin, not tenderloin) .. about 3.5lb.

Having some trouble figuring out the best way to cook it, and and for how long. I know, I know.. target the temp, not the time. Problem is, the cook times I'm seeing are all over the place, ranging from as little as 1 hour to as much as 3 hours or more for a loin this size.

And I saw some comments on this board recommending cooking it faster and a higher temp so it doesn't dry out, since it's a lean cut. But, I want to smoke it, so I'm not sure what to do.

Looking for some pointers on this one. What do you recommend?

Thank you :)

I brine or inject a lite brine, use a 275° pit temp, and cook until 140°-ish internal. Rest and slice. This takes about 90 minutes, but cook to temp.... not time.

uBzlBX7.jpg

i18CgKt.jpg

Definitely brine. Season and smoke to 140-145. Rest. Slice and serve.

Higher temps will get it done sooner (of course). But the brine will give you some insurance of moist meat in the end.

I brine or inject a lite brine, use a 275° pit temp, and cook until 140°-ish internal. Rest and slice. This takes about 90 minutes, but cook to temp.... not time.

That's pretty much what I do as well!

I think I've deleted my photos but the last couple loins I've braided. Really happy with the way braid method works on loin. Braiding kind of comes and goes like smoked queso.

Brining is a must. Bacon weave wrap looks and tastes good. I cook to about 140-145 internal temp.

Attachments

• 20230114_192410_copy_800x600.jpg
    20230114_192410_copy_800x600.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 87
New guy here..

Joining in as I will be doing this latter today.

Recteq RT-1250.

I butterflied the pork loin and spiraled jelly-roll style with minced parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, Keith Riles garlic butter seasoning, and Lawry's seasoned salt. I also seasoned the bacon with Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub then bacon weave wrapped with 1 lb of bacon.

Wrapped in plastic wrap and now festering in fridge.

I'm thinking 3-4 hours at 180F to gain max smoke then raise to 350F to crisp up bacon and reach internal of 145F. Maybe spritz with apple juice?

Thoughts?

Might glaze with bbq sauce at end as well.

Last edited:
Those all look delicious! I guess we have been minimalists, just seasoning and smoke. Is the brining much different than brining birds? Anything need to be done differently?

Last edited:
Following up on the cook.

I set the Recteq RT-1250 at 180F and let it ride for about 2.75 hours. Then bumped it up to 225F. Pulled it at 145F internal and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Did not spritz or glaze.

Served it with oven roasted potatoes and corn. Was excellent.

Last edited:
Back