Pork Ribeye Roast? What is it? How to cook it

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Jeff
Picked up a small pork ribeye roast at Walmart while shopping for something else. It's 2 or 3#, already in the smoker so not sure. One end had marbling like that of a money muscle so I am cooking like a pork butt. Research says it is more loin. I am not sure what temp to cook it too. Totally winging it. Any suggestions. Already passed the 145 mark so I may be doomed

If it's what it is marked as, then it is probably pretty lean. I'd take it up to 135-140*, let it rest and eat. You could be doomed with a dried piece of meat. I am curious how it comes out though.

Its the loin with rib meat and possibly rib bone attached. I think it might also be what they call center cut when sliced as chops. Its just a scam to charge more for the suckers who read "ribeye".

Its the loin with rib meat and possibly rib bone attached. I think it might also be what they call center cut when sliced as chops. Its just a scam to charge more for the suckers who read "ribeye".

Actually it's not a scam. Some years back the pork lobby moved to rename the cuts of pork to be more uniform and in line with the standards of beef. It didn't neccesarily take wholesale but it is an easier way of describing pork cuts. I've cooked this cut before and calling it a pork rib roast is an accurate description and btw it wasn't marked to charge more to suckers it was instead a very affordable hunk of meat

Actually it's not a scam. Some years back the pork lobby moved to rename the cuts of pork to be more uniform and in line with the standards of beef. It didn't neccesarily take wholesale but it is an easier way of describing pork cuts. I've cooked this cut before and calling it a pork rib roast is an accurate description and btw it wasn't marked to charge more to suckers it was instead a very affordable hunk of meat

Not in my neck of the woods. Its $4/lb or more just to call it "ribeye roast" Center cut chops are usually $2.49/lb ( on sale which is often). Here is CSR's price in my area, just a week ago.

unnamed.jpg

Bob, I agree that it is probably a bone-in center cut loin roast. I also confer with her sentiments about mislabeling cuts or incorrectly naming cuts to charge more money for what in this case what used to be a common cut of loin, a bone in pork loin.

Twenty-five years ago, a bone in loin was a fairly priced cut of pork. You rarely saw a boneless loin as it was a specialty cut. When the butcher boned the loin, the boneless loin was the more expensive cut and the rib cage that it was separated from was the cheaper cut. One of the more expensive pork cuts at that time was the boneless pork loin. You read that right, the back ribs were a lot less expensive than the boneless loin. My how times have changed. When back ribs became the rage, they became the more expensive cut and the boneless loin was the less expensive. Now the boneless loin can be the least expensive cut of the hog, cheaper than ribs and shoulder cuts at times. And now bacon is the most of expensive cut.

Funny how the market changes. Remember when chicken wings were sometimes thrown away or charged as much as a whopping 29 cents per pound? Since the chicken wing craze started twenty years ago, wings became the most expensive cut of the chicken. Same goes for brisket. It too used to be one of the least costly cut of the cow.

That is the way the market goes, when a product becomes popular or the new rage, the price goes up. But it still chaps my hide that the retailers change the name of the product or alter its description to get more money for the product. Don't get me started on boneless ribs or boneless chicken wings.........

Last edited:
Bob, I agree that it is probably a bone-in center cut loin roast. I also confer with her sentiments about mislabeling cuts or incorrectly naming cuts to charge more money for what in this case what used to be a common cut of loin - a bone in pork loin.

Twenty-five years ago, a bone in loin was a fairly priced cut of pork. When the butcher boned the loin, the boneless loin was the more expensive cut and the rib cage that it was separated from was the cheaper cut. One of the more expensive cuts at that time was the boneless pork loin. You read that right, the back ribs were a lot less expensive than the boneless loin. My how times have changed. When back ribs became the rage, they became the more expensive cut and the boneless loin was the less expensive. Now the boneless loin can be the least expensive cut of the hog, cheaper than ribs and shoulder cuts. And now bacon is the most of expensive cut.

Funny how the market changes. Remember when chicken wings were sometimes thrown away or charged as much as a whopping 29 cents per pound? Since the chicken wing craze started twenty years ago, wings became the most expensive cut of the chicken. Same goes for brisket. It too used to be one of the least costly cut of the cow.

That is the way the market goes, but it still chaps my hide that the retailer changes the name of the product or alter its description to get more money for the product.

Dont remind me, lol. Call me frugal, but i do not like change, especially when cost of living goes up, but wages stay the same.

On the wings, If you have an RD account, they have "party" wings for $1.60/lb if you buy a 40# case. They also run a sale on "miscut" wings for 0.54 cents/lb if you buy a 40# case. In my experience theres usually only a handful of miscut, and the rest is just ad good as the "party" wings which are just already turned into drumette and sectional for you.

Yep, it's a pork loin. Good stuff, have bought it several times from Wally World. As Smoke Ninja said, several years ago the pork industry renamed a bunch of stuff. Some stores followed along with the new names, some didn't. Initially, it annoyed me because I didn't know what the new cuts were.

I usually cut it into thick chops. Worst case, you can chop it up and add sauce.

Wish I had taken a picture before I opened and started cooking. It was cheap is why I went for it. Like $6 ($2 something per pound) It is starting to probe tender everywhere but the thickest part at 194f right now, I was already long past the 145 pork loin temp so I am going for it. The part that is most tender is where it resembled a money muscle.

Smoked till 206 internal with an average smoker temp of probably 275. It was tender and tasty, a little bit dry but not bad. I did not wrap since the bark was forming late. Cooked over a pan on a warming rack with a little liquid in the pan to help with moisture. A little sauce and it would be great, but I just ate it as is and it was pretty good fresh. Reheat would be dry I suspect. I would wrap next time I think. It seems to be an intersection of different muscles. I would do it again for the price. My only seasoning was a little mustard slather and a light dusting of kosher salt. Will try to post what pics I have in AM.

Smoked till 206 internal with an average smoker temp of probably 275. It was tender and tasty, a little bit dry but not bad.

I'm guessing you had the forward end (shoulder end, aka rib end) of a bone-in pork loin roast. When sliced, the chops are called rib chops because they don't have the tenderloin muscle.

The rib end is distinguished by a second muscle, darker in color, that has more myoglobin and is higher in fat. The rib end is a little flatter in shape too. When I cure pork loins, the rib end is my favorite for these reasons.

MmEHb4n.jpg

rNSueQw.jpg

Years ago one of our MIA brother Bigabyte's many experiments was a pork loin taken to brisket/pork butt temps when cooked. He was happy with the results and as I remember the pics he showed looked good. Don't know what any left overs were like.

A parting thought for all of you.

If labeling a pork loin as a Pork Ribeye Roast is relabeling to a higher cost item why does no one seem to complain with beef labeled as Prime Rib Roast? They're the same cut from different beasts. Think about it real hard.:wink:

A parting thought for all of you.

If labeling a pork loin as a Pork Ribeye Roast is relabeling to a higher cost item why does no one seem to complain with beef labeled as Prime Rib Roast? They're the same cut from different beasts. Think about it real hard.:wink:

I only buy "Prime Rib Roast" then they are on sale, so don't really care that they call a "Choice Rib Roast" "Prime".

I'll stay out the debate on nomenclature. Glad it turned out OK for you. My thoughts were "get it off now". You probs got away with it this time. Try again for 145. Rest it. Should be a whole different experience.

Back