Smoked meatloaf

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
Decided to take a break from posting about the Smoke Fire I don’t own and actually cook something. I’ve been wanting to try a smoked meatloaf again for a while and meant to do it this weekend but didn’t get around to it. Unfortunately, I’m going to have no idea how it tastes as I now have a cold and realized while prepping how little sense of smell I have. When you can’t smell the sautéd garlic and onions or tell if the smoke is still charcoal smelling it it’s just the cherry you added it’s not a good sign

Trying the Ain’t Mammas Meatloaf recipe from the Smoke and Spice cookbook (posted on Hasty-bake’s website.

On the kettle with the slow and sear. Trying to run about 250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even really like meatloaf but smoked it's awesome. I bet the smoke fire that you don't own is interfering with your upload...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Much better than my first effort (where I basically made a 2lb hamburger brick). Will definitely try it again. I didn't try to mop but assuming I have more time will try to go that route next time.

IMG_4291-X2.jpg

2020021919321930-IMG_4292-X2.jpg

Looks pretty god to me! But I do like Meatloaf, especially Smoked!
I like to cover mine with bacon strips, and a glaze of BBQ Sauce.

Hmm weird. Both pics were uploaded using the same setting. Apparently it swelled during the cook?

One portrait and the other landscape? Both are showing sized using SmugMugs X2. You can check the exif info on the backend to see that the base dimensions were.

One portrait and the other landscape? Both are showing sized using SmugMugs X2. You can check the exif info on the backend to see that the base dimensions were.

Interesting. X2 (extra large 2) is different for the two pics. It must be all based on a fraction of the original size -- which is different too. I thought that smugmug had fixed dimensions for each size, but I've been using the same camera for years for most of my photography so I wouldn't have noticed.

Going back to the originals being a different size, both were taken with my iPhone. Wouldn't have thought rotation would change the number of available pixels.

Regardless, I know the pixel count that seems to fit well so just need to be to pay attention a bit more.

That's a good lookin' loaf! Ever tried stuffing it with mac and cheese? I'm not sure it does anything for the flavor of the meat, but it definitely does something for the flavor of the mac and cheese...

I used that recipe last time I made 'loaf. Not sure the mopping added much to it, but the rest was sure great! We loved it.

I have been using the bundt cake trick that I've seen on here, for more smoke surface area. But, I think I need to make my loaf sized for leftover sammiches next time.

Love meatloaf... and that recipe is my fave. Pretty much the only meatloaf I have made in the last 10+ years. Nicely done :)

Oh, man... I'd love a couple of slices of that for dinner.... then maybe a thicker one the next day as a meatloaf sammich!

This is a great reminder for me of how long it's been since I joined this band wagon.... need to remedy that most rikky-tik!

Love meatloaf... and that recipe is my fave. Pretty much the only meatloaf I have made in the last 10+ years. Nicely done :)

I think it was one of your cooks that caused me to try it. My wife thought it was really good, said it's definitely better than the recipe we usually follow. Which is saying something as she's always a little annoyed when I take something she's been the one making for 30 years and try my own version.

That's a good lookin' loaf! Ever tried stuffing it with mac and cheese? I'm not sure it does anything for the flavor of the meat, but it definitely does something for the flavor of the mac and cheese...

I haven't. Do you use leftover Mac & Cheese? I would think assembly with a fresh goey batch would be challenging. Especially if you're cooking it without the loaf pan

I used that recipe last time I made 'loaf. Not sure the mopping added much to it, but the rest was sure great! We loved it.

I have been using the bundt cake trick that I've seen on here, for more smoke surface area. But, I think I need to make my loaf sized for leftover sammiches next time.

Thanks, good to know. I'm all for less work if it doesn't add much.

I see you just placed the loaf on some foil on the grill. Would a wire rack inside a baking pan work for this? Need to contain the grease while allowing smoke access to the meat.

Back