Direct Heat Meatloaf

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Clean out the freezer day - made two meatloaf using a pound each of bison, lamb, turkey and pork - used various rubs and a mustard based bbq sauce

Cooked over direct heat for about 3 hours - once the meat hit an internal temp of 120 I mopped every 20 minutes or so with a mustard vinegar based mop sauce. Also tossed on a batch of cheesy jalapeño hominy

When the meatloaf hit an IT of 165 I removed from my Royale BBQ Fab direct heat cooker - let it rest for 30 minutes - and then dug in

My meatloaf would never hold its shape without a loaf pan. I use a Magic meatloaf pan and do my very best to drop it in without touching the sides but it always sags and touches at some point. This is by design though since it produces the most moist and tender meatloaf.

Ted,

The meat loaf looks tasty. But, let me be the fourth one to inquire about the hominy. I'd love to try it if you can help with the details.

Thanks,

Robert

I did a half recipe

Ingredients

4 cans of white hominy - I used Bush White Hominy - 15.5 oz cans
2 jalapeños
1 pound of EZ Melt Cheese - I used White American
1/2 Stick Butter
Favorite Rub

Drain the hominy - save some of the juices (about a cup )

Put hominy in the pan - add cup of juices - half stick of butter - favorite rub - into the smoker at 250-275 for an hour

At the same time - throw 2 jalapeños into smoker for 20-30 minutes - remove - cut off tops - dice remainder and toss into the hominy pan (can also do this ahead of time and cook the entire time with the hominy)

After an hour - add I pound of cubed or shredded easy melt cheese - back into smoker for another hour

Total time on smoker is 2 hours

Thanks for the hominy recipe. I forgot to ask about the jalapeno and onions on the side of the meatloaf. Are those pickled?

Thanks,

Robert

I do a recipe similar to the hominy but with whole kernel corn. It's been a staple for years.

Thanks for the hominy recipe. I forgot to ask about the jalapeno and onions on the side of the meatloaf. Are those pickled?

Thanks,

Robert

They were in the mop sauce I made - figured they were too good to go to waste

Back