Smoked meatloaf

Tyler551

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Ty
I'm new here and planning to do a smoked meatloaf looking for recommendations on what kinda pellets. I'm cooking on a pit boss Lexington 500 onyx series

Most of my smoked meat loaf experience is with a Cookshack SM105, with which I smoked the loaf similar to small pork butts. The SM105 is an electric smoker with a bin located above the heating element into which wood chunks/charcoal are used to smolder and add smoke flavor. Alternatively, cook like ribs, but slightly longer, but guided by thermometer, to internal temp to about 160, anticipating increase in temps after removing from smoker to the safe IT of 165 for beef. YMMV. post pics, go for it, should be great, hard to mess up.

I’m a fan of the Pit Boss competition blend available at your local Wally World.

I don't really find much "smoke taste" difference between pellets (except when using lumberjack mesquite). If you need pellets, the Pit Boss ones work great. Otherwise, use whatever pellets you have handy.

Meatloaf: I assume you're not cooking it in a pan (that would reduce smoke surface) but remember not to use any glaze early in the cook as the sugar in the glaze will burn. Been there, done that :).

I like to put my meatloaf on a cookie sheet rack over a cookie sheet so all of the grease doesnt make a mess of the smoker. Line the cookie sheet in aluminum foil to make clean up easy.

Back