Smoked Bologna???

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey everyone,

Looking for suggestions, recipes and techniques please.

I'm interested in trying smoking some bologna. I've seen Myron cut out a plug and stuff it w/ paper jack. I've see others just smoke, slice and make sandwiches, what looks best to me is burnt ends, as it allow more smoke, bark and caramelized sauce.

Have any of you done this? If so, how did it turn out? What are your recipes, techniques and suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
JD

If you want any rub to stick take a fork and score the bologna about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep all around. Then you can use mustard and whatever your rub of choice is and it will sort of stick. I usually add some red pepper to give the bark a little bite (see what I did there :grin:).

If I have the smaller mini chubs they go on whole. The full sized ones I typically split down the middle. Sad to say but most cooks the bologna is the priciest thing on the smoker per pound.

I always thought the idea of smoked balogna was nauseating. Then I found myself at Scout and Scholar Brewery in Bardstown KY. My friend's wife ordered it and I thought, "OK, good luck with that". Then she got it and oohed and ah-ed. So when she offered to slice off a chunk I reluctantly accepted. I ended up ordering one for myself and again the next day. Would love to know how they do their's.

It’s all but technique less… score, slather, rub and few hours of smoke. My fam loves it. Me - I like it.

My son absolutely loves smoked bologna, and last time I smoked he bought a chunk of the high dollar all beef bologna from publix for me to smoke. It was good, but not noticeably better than the "5 fo $20" mini chubs at the local foodland. Maybe I just don't have a refined bologna palate.

I like double smoking "Ring Bologna" It must be a regional item. Ive never seen anyone on this forum smoke it. It does come smoked, but double smoked, or even buying a double smoked ring at a local farmers market or butcher and triple smoking it is huge around here.

That said, Ring bologna is coarse/meaty. Im not sure i could get past the paste texture of Deli style bologna. But i assume it might be similar to eating cut up hot dogs without natural casing.

Surprised OP being from West Chester, PA ( not too far from PA dutch/ Amish country hasn't mentioned Ring bologna!

Last edited:
I like to slice it thick throw mustard and a rub on it, set the pellet smoker as low as it will roll and give it 60-120 minutes, beats scoring and then smoking, sometimes you have to cook whole if you dont have enough racks free

I like double smoking "Ring Bologna" It must be a regional item. Ive never seen anyone on this forum smoke it. It does come smoked, but double smoked, or even buying a double smoked ring at a local farmers market or butcher and triple smoking it is huge around here.

That said, Ring bologna is coarse/meaty. Im not sure i could get past the paste texture of Deli style bologna. But i assume it might be similar to eating cut up hot dogs without natural casing.

Surprised OP being from West Chester, PA ( not too far from PA dutch/ Amish country hasn't mentioned Ring bologna!

Thank man,
We do have an amish market pretty close to me.
I may give that a shot.
JD

I like to slice it thick throw mustard and a rub on it, set the pellet smoker as low as it will roll and give it 60-120 minutes, beats scoring and then smoking, sometimes you have to cook whole if you dont have enough racks free

Sound good,
Thanks!
JD

Thank man,
While that does sound good, I’m looking for more of a traditional BBQ burnt end profile.
I wonder about the difference between “Dutch (German -Amish) style ring bologna “, and a deli style chub of bologna like Oscar Meyer or Boars Head?
Someone mentioned it has a more course meaty texture. Is the flavor profile different?
JD

Hey thanks again.
I’ll be heading to our local Amish market for sure.

I’ll ask you the same question. Other than texture, what are the differences between Amish ring bologna and deli style, e.g., Oscar Meyer or Boars Head?
Are the flavor profiles similar? How about fat content?
JD

Hey thanks again.
I’ll be heading to our local Amish market for sure.

I’ll ask you the same question. Other than texture, what are the differences between Amish ring bologna and deli style, e.g., Oscar Meyer or Boars Head?
Are the flavor profiles similar? How about fat content?
JD

Ring bologna has a similar taste to smoked sausage, keilbasa, summer sausage.

As far as fat content, it depends on brand. I personally like to buy locally made vs commercially made. You will find good ring bologna at farmer's markets, but you can buy it at pretty much every grocery chain in PA at least.

Ring bologna has a similar taste to smoked sausage, keilbasa, summer sausage.

As far as fat content, it depends on brand. I personally like to buy locally made vs commercially made. You will find good ring bologna at farmer's markets, but you can buy it at pretty much every grocery chain in PA at least.

That sounds about right!
Thanks!!!
JD

Back