Shipping a Shirley to New Jersey

I'd definitely look at the ship to Pennsylvania and then drive down and pick it up idea.

Seems as though we got off on the wrong foot. I just tend to be an optimist and look at the brighter side of things.:thumb:

And yes, I'm a certified Farker, Whack-A-Doodle and Woodpile Ho.:becky:

Its just part of shipping you may not have to worry about that end? So many of us do. Its part of a thought process some are faced with. If you have to give up $300 to $1300 for shipping you will see where the OP, and I stand. You have to think about issues others may not have to worry about.

Its all good. I just didn't get why you came after me.

It was just an honest post from my end that many have to deal with. It sucks when you want something but get hit in the face with reality or a huge road block to achieving it.

Looks like your from a hot bed area so you can get pretty much what you want. I live in no mans land.

Its just part of shipping you may not have to worry about that end? So many of us do. Its part of a thought process some are faced with. If you have to give up $300 to $1300 for shipping you will see where the OP, and I stand. You have to think about issues others may not have to worry about.

Its all good. I just didn't get why you came after me.

It was just an honest post from my end that many have to deal with. It sucks when you want something but get hit in the face with reality or a huge road block to achieving it.

Looks like your from a hot bed area so you can get pretty much what you want. I live in no mans land.

Nothing personal. It's just the Farker in me.:loco:

I will be making the drive to see the Shirley's in late March to pick up my new Shirley I won!:becky:

Nothing personal. It's just the Farker in me.:loco:

I will be making the drive to see the Shirley's in late March to pick up my new Shirley I won!:becky:

I would make the trip from Iowa as well if I won one :thumb: I just talked to Tyler, and they will be making verticals in 16 so I have to see what that is about.

I may have a Shirley as well just depends on the build they put out. Not the quality the actual footprint. They aren't sure if they will do insulated or not. Sounds like a reverse flow.

Sorry to the OP for the Hijack.

Buddy had a 528" HEMI shipped from PA to AZ....crated weight was right at 750 pounds.....under $300 using FedEx freight

Dan, why don't you look at a Meadowcreek. They are located in the Lancaster PA area.
This is about as close as you can get.

People get smokers shipped all day without issues among other things. Mine was shipped from LSG to my door flawless and I've seen a Shirley come out to Cali flawlessly also. It's all in packing/crating. No need to overthink or worry as you can't really ruin a big hunk of steel and if somehow something happens there is always insurance. Now if you screw things up at your end after delivery then it's your a$$. :becky:

In this case it's shipping to NY/NJ that is or has been the issue.

I found a company that will ship mine when done for a fair price but I might haft to wait a few weeks to get it because they try and fill their enclosed trailer up and the other thing they said if there is bad weather going on through the states they travel they will not do it . so one way or another it will be shipped or I will be driving and picking it up like I did before which was a fun trip and got to meet the Shirley family in person .

Everyone knows they can be shipped. Everyone knows they are insured to your door.

The OP already stated no trip will happen. Also that he is paying more to ship then to buy the smoker. Not everyone is willing to do that.

I think his best option is to find another smoker that he can get with a fair shipping price.

This is what sucks for many of us that live in places that it cost more to get to us then to initially buy.

In my case I will have to add at least $300- $500 for a vertical smoker. $300 - $500 could buy some nice things to go along with that new smoker. Just think how much $1300 could buy.

I paid double the price to ship a pool table, but it cost me less to go U-Ship then what I could have rented a U-Haul to do it myself. it saved me at least $200.00 I also didn't have to drive or worry about a thing. The difference was I paid less to do it that way then to buy local.

You get what you pay for and you get twice the cooker that you could buy from anyone else at half the price. Question to the OP is what is it worth to you ?

You get what you pay for and you get twice the cooker that you could buy from anyone else at half the price. Question to the OP is what is it worth to you ?

I think that may be subjective.. I notice if you have it its the best there is? No doubt Shirley Fab is top notch, but many others are as well. Tyler told me they may be doing vert cabinets in 16 so I will see what they have. I don't know if it will even be an option or I will even like the footprint once its built. Saying that I like to keep my options open. I could name 15 to 20 builders of Verticals, and they are all built like tanks, and the best of the best. I think its what you want or think is the best in the end of it all.

DanB,

Just my .02, but the brethren relay might be a good idea. Or some variant of one, as has been suggested. (i.e. shipping to a brother and having it relayed between brothers to get to you.) Been awhile since I looked at the brethren map, but I think there are plenty of folks along that route. Just a thought...

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how much help you could get from brothers along the route. At any rate, it's worth asking ..... right?

Regards,

Kevin

shipping

Hi All Many thanks for your replies and idea's on the smoker. There is "NOWAY" I'm paying $1,000 to ship a smoker.:crazy: Just got 2 more quotes from U-Ship, both were over 1000.
I got shipping quotes from Lang and Yoder for their Patio smokers, shipping was 500 and less.Just might be the way to go, even if I had my mind set on Shirley.
Thanks Again DanB

PS I did look into Meadow Creek,after adding up the options,they were in same ballpark as Yoder/Lang.

Back