Anyone have a Fat Daddy Smoker?

RonaQue

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Dan
Hello brethren,

Background:
I am a fairly new member of the forums. I’ve enjoyed reading the threads and researching smokers. I am in the market for an offset stick burner. Not totally sure why but I’ve been sold on the idea of reverse flow so I’ve been researching options. I started looking at Lang’s, then after finding this forum I found Johnson, and finally got hooked on the Shirleys. I made the decision to get a Shirley 24x36 cabinet patio smoker and reached out to Tyler a little over a month ago to find out pricing and timing. For a few reasons, the timing made sense for me to wait a little. Unfortunately when I reached back out to Tyler this week he said they have paused taking orders on the 36 and there will also be a pretty big price increase (due to steel costs) when they start back up in a few months. The price increase on top of shipping costs has probably put them out of my price range so I’ve been doing some research for any “local” options. I stumbled across a builder about 1 hour from me which brings me to my question(s).

Anyone out there have a smoker from Fat Daddy Smokers (http://www.fatdaddysmokers.com/)? Searching the forums, I found this thread from 2014 with no responses:
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190968
And then this one from 2018 mentions them:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260194

If anyone has one, let me know how you like it and any pros and cons.

For those that don’t have one but are much more trained than me on what to look for in a quality smoker, any thoughts about their builds from the pictures and info on the website? Anything I should ask them if I contact them? As much as I want to go local, I am a little nervous spending this much without having all of the rave reviews like Shirley.

Final piece of info. If I go this route, I would probably get the Contender series (¼ inch steel) and upgrade to the 36 inch drum (from 30 inch) and add the counterweight. But I’m also considering the Titan series since that seems very similar to the Shirley 24x36 patio cooker (Fat Daddy has 3 racks at 28.5 x 20 vs Shirley having 2 racks at 26.75 x 21 and 1 rack at 26.75 x 17). I honestly don’t need that much rack space but if I am spending this much money does it hurt to spend a little more to get a ton of extra space for that once a year big BBQ party where I will want it.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance to anyone who reads and responds.

Dan

Idk anything about this brand or what to look for, but I would say upsizing to the cabinet style for only $250 more is a no brainer. Also, the website mentions renting smokers, if you get close to choosing them you might ask if the rental fee can be counted towards the cost of the smoker if you decide you want one.

I’m no expert, but there are a couple things that I see that I question on this smoker.

1. Why does it have the vents on the opposite side of the firebox?

2. Most reverse flow smokers have excess space on the far side away from the firebox, where the heated air can make a 180 turn. This pit looks like it does this directly under the cooking grates. Lang’s and Shirley’s and most others have space beyond the cooking grates. I really question this design.

They might have valid reasons for these, but they would have some “splainin to do” to make me even consider them.

Last edited:
I’m no expert, but there are a couple things that I see that I question on this smoker.

1. Why does it have the vents on the opposite side of the firebox?

2. Most reverse flow smokers have excess space on the far side away from the firebox, where the heated air can make a 180 turn. This pit looks like it does this directly under the cooking grates. Lang’s and Shirley’s and most others have space beyond the cooking grates. I really question this design.

They might have valid reasons for these, but they would have some “splainin to do” to make me even consider them.

1. Do you mean opposite side of the cook chamber? Often you'll see offset smokers with vents on the sides of the cook chamber so that the cook chamber can be used as a direct grill rather than a smoker. Just put a charcoal pan underneath the bottom grate and now you can use those vents to control your temperature while grilling.

2. It depends on the placement of the exhaust stacks and how they will pull that smoke over and across the cooking grates. On my Johnson Smokers RF cooker he had 2 exhaust stacks ; 1 on the front side of the cooking chamber and the 2nd on the back side. Both were mounted deep into the cook chamber so the front one was level with the bottom grates, and the back one was level with the upper grates. When it comes to drafting there's a lot of different factors involved, so I wouldn't necessarily dismiss a design because there's no "extra space" inside the cook chamber.

To the OP : That Titan series caught my eye as well. If they're local enough take a drive and see if you can get a tour and maybe even see if they'll let you mess around with one of their smokers. That will help you know whether or not their designs are solid. As I said it's really hard to tell how well these will draft (which is pretty much the most important part of an offset smoker) without seeing them in action.

They do have this posted on their website : "We are building up our fleet of rental smokers, so if you have a big event to cook for, we can help!! Rent a reverse flow or insulated commercial smoker today!" So if that's the case then that gives you a very good way of trying out one of their smokers without having to drop too much money.

Overall their designs look about right. Local is always great because if something isn't working properly I'd be willing to bet they'd sort it out for you.

On a side note : Since you're up there in Wisconsin you should really take a look into Ironside Smokers. They are quite local to your area and they make some amazing cookers. They are insulated cabinet smokers which are designed to be stickburners, but they can also be run as a charcoal cooker. They have recently added pellet options as well. I'd at least give them a look as their cookers are "legacy quality."

I’m currently not a log slinger, but have thought about it several times. I glanced at the site you posted and the first thing that caught my attention was 1/8” steel, it seems most higher end stick burners use 1/4” or 5/16”. I could have missed something or it just was one of their samples, but I’d definitely look closer at that detail.

1. Do you mean opposite side of the cook chamber? Often you'll see offset smokers with vents on the sides of the cook chamber so that the cook chamber can be used as a direct grill rather than a smoker. Just put a charcoal pan underneath the bottom grate and now you can use those vents to control your temperature while grilling.

2. It depends on the placement of the exhaust stacks and how they will pull that smoke over and across the cooking grates. On my Johnson Smokers RF cooker he had 2 exhaust stacks ; 1 on the front side of the cooking chamber and the 2nd on the back side. Both were mounted deep into the cook chamber so the front one was level with the bottom grates, and the back one was level with the upper grates. When it comes to drafting there's a lot of different factors involved, so I wouldn't necessarily dismiss a design because there's no "extra space" inside the cook chamber.

To the OP : That Titan series caught my eye as well. If they're local enough take a drive and see if you can get a tour and maybe even see if they'll let you mess around with one of their smokers. That will help you know whether or not their designs are solid. As I said it's really hard to tell how well these will draft (which is pretty much the most important part of an offset smoker) without seeing them in action.

They do have this posted on their website : "We are building up our fleet of rental smokers, so if you have a big event to cook for, we can help!! Rent a reverse flow or insulated commercial smoker today!" So if that's the case then that gives you a very good way of trying out one of their smokers without having to drop too much money.

Overall their designs look about right. Local is always great because if something isn't working properly I'd be willing to bet they'd sort it out for you.

On a side note : Since you're up there in Wisconsin you should really take a look into Ironside Smokers. They are quite local to your area and they make some amazing cookers. They are insulated cabinet smokers which are designed to be stickburners, but they can also be run as a charcoal cooker. They have recently added pellet options as well. I'd at least give them a look as their cookers are "legacy quality."

I reread the description and I do believe you are correct. The flywheel dampers on the left hand side of the cook chamber are for using as a charcoal grill.

I’d still be a little concerned about the reverse flow being right below Cooking rack. I’d rather have it like a Lang or Shirley with a solid plate that runs the whole length of the cooker, but it maybe fine. It might be designed that way to aid as a charcoal grill.

Overall, they look like they are pretty well built.

Renting one to give it a whirl might be the way to go to see if it works for you....which is the main thing.

Last edited:
I’m currently not a log slinger, but have thought about it several times. I glanced at the site you posted and the first thing that caught my attention was 1/8” steel, it seems most higher end stick burners use 1/4” or 5/16”. I could have missed something or it just was one of their samples, but I’d definitely look closer at that detail.

I think you were replying to my post about Ironside Smokers. They are fully insulated and this is what it says on the website : "Fully welded, with 11 gauge steel on the inside (roughly 1/8") and 12 gauge steel on the outside
." So while it's thinner steel than you'll see on a traditional offset there are 2 layers of it, with insulation in the middle.

I think the 1/8" is on their entry level smoker. On the Contender series they say 1/4". Definitely something I need to keep in mind is the thickness of the steel. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm thinking I will contact them and see if they have anything on hand that I can take a look at. When I do I will take a closer look at the baffle plate and see what they have to say about how the heat/smoke make the 180 turn. I will also ask them about possibly renting one for a weekend so I can give it a try and see how I like it.

I will also take a look at Ironside and see what they have but a quick glance at the website and I think they will be out of my budget.

Thanks again everyone for the input. Truly appreciate the eyes on this to help me out.

If you are willing to look at a traditional smoker, Peoria Smokers in Illinois doesn’t seem to be that far away, and they are fairly well known to have a good cooker.

Maybe worth checking out anyway.

I think the 1/8" is on their entry level smoker. On the Contender series they say 1/4". Definitely something I need to keep in mind is the thickness of the steel. Thanks.

That’s probably what it was. Good luck with your search.

I see you smoke on a wsm. Have you considered a drum? I built a reverse flow as my very first smoker. Used it once and then read about drums. I had a scrap guy take my reverse flow(it was a terrible design) and haven't looked back. I also built an offset to handle larger amounts of meat but have only used it twice. For cooking two items a drum can't be beat. All that being said I wouldn't mind having a cabinet either. Have you looked at the chud box?

If you are willing to look at a traditional smoker, Peoria Smokers in Illinois doesn’t seem to be that far away, and they are fairly well known to have a good cooker.

Maybe worth checking out anyway.

I should probably keep my options open and consider a traditional smoker. Peoria was on my original short list due to them being pretty close. Thanks.

I see you smoke on a wsm. Have you considered a drum? I built a reverse flow as my very first smoker. Used it once and then read about drums. I had a scrap guy take my reverse flow(it was a terrible design) and haven't looked back. I also built an offset to handle larger amounts of meat but have only used it twice. For cooking two items a drum can't be beat. All that being said I wouldn't mind having a cabinet either. Have you looked at the chud box?

I have not considered a drum. I've seen them referenced but haven't read much on them. I guess now I need to do some reading and research. I have not considered a chud box yet. I've been watching his videos and they look nice but I guess I'm not sure if I would like that over an offset.

I have not considered a drum. I've seen them referenced but haven't read much on them. I guess now I need to do some reading and research. I have not considered a chud box yet. I've been watching his videos and they look nice but I guess I'm not sure if I would like that over an offset.

If you are at all interested in a insulated cabinet smoker, you have a lot of options besides Chud.

Insulated cabinet smoker perform extremely well in cold climates (and in hot climates). If you go the offset routes, prepare to spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter if you want to use it then. The insulated cabinets are pretty much set and forget, especially if you add a temp controller, but even without they are pretty good. An offshoot to the cabinets are the gravity feeds like a Stumps.

Some brands to consider on insulated cabinets.

Humphreys, 270 smokers, Lonestar Grillz, Backwoods, and the already mentioned Ironside (they only have larger expensive models though).

A good size model would be something like a Pint or Extended Weekender that Humphreys has. The Weekender is a very good value, and popular for competitions as they don’t weigh a ton but still solid construction.

Not trying to steer you away from an offset, but you do live somewhere where running one a good chunk of the year will be a little chilly to say the least.

Back