New member looking for a little advice on a new smoker

Atterbud

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Dave
I am in the process of trying to decide on a new smoker. I have been grilling and smoking on a GrillDome XL kamado ceramic cooker for several years and had decided that I wanted to move on to a stick burner. Having done a bunch or research I am pretty close to putting in an order for a Shirley 36 Patio, but I have also exchanged emails with Zach at T&K regarding a 36" version of their horizontal reverse flow model. With shipping to me in southern Connecticut they both come out right around the same price.

1. Does anyone have a T&K horizontal reverse flow? I cannot find any reviews.
2. The T&K has an insulated firebox and cook chamber door, will this make any difference for cold weather cooks?
3. Any thoughts on quality between the two manufacturers? Both look very good.
4. Is a stick burner going to work for me in the winter months? I can always revert to the GrillDome if I had to.
5. I think I understand the additional commitment required for a stick burner, but can anyone who has made the move from a set-and-forget setup to the 45 minute vent/fire tending schedule, offer any comments or advice.

We cook all the regular brisket, butt, ribs, turkey, etc only for our family of 4, but would like to branch out and experiment a little with other foods.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance for help and advice that you can offer.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on getting a new smoker. I have read nothing but great things about the Shirley. Haven't seen much on the TK. I hope you have a good source for wood and if you do I'll bet you will enjoy feeding logs.

This is the same change I made, from Kamado style to stick burner. I think you'll like the craft element of the offsets. And it will take some time to learn, for sure. Like previous comment, make sure you have a good wood source. I can't comment on the individual models you mentioned, but I've heard they're exceptional. And I'm currently thinking winter will have me back on the egg for the time being. My offset requires attention every 10-15 minutes or so, and sitting right by it is the best way to go. I don't think I want to do that in 30, 20, or 10 degrees!

I just made the switch from Kamado to offset as well. Made my first brisket this past weekend and it was the best I've ever cooked by far, so I don't think you will be disappointed with either option. The insulated firebox will definitely help in those winter months you guys have.

I would echo Jlems above in that I was out there every 10-15 minutes messing with the fire. This is probably something that can be dialed in to 30-45 minutes once I get the hang of how the smoker cooks and the optimal coal bed/split size, but early on expect to be out there a lot. Good luck!

That T&K has almost no information on the website, so it's really hard to give it a fair critique against the 24x36 Shirley Patio. I'll say from what I can see on the website it looks like a good enough cooker. Personally I'd go with the Shirley because there's a million reviews out there on it, and if it wasn't performing well people would be screaming from the rooftops about it.

Insulated will definitely help in the winter, but it's not mandatory. I sold a Johnson Smokers offset to my buddy who lives in eastern WI. He had a few issues with keeping temps during the super cold and windy days, but he just put a welding blanket on top of the cook chamber and that helped out a lot. All things equal in the kind of temps you're going to be looking at the insulated firebox and cook chamber would certainly be a plus.

In terms of commitment an offset is going to require your attention every so often. Once you get the hang of your pit you'll need to be checking on it every 20-30 minutes to make sure your fire is burning clean, and add some wood. As with all things in life it's a trade-off, as offsets produce the best flavors (in my opinion), but they also require the most work. I worked my way from a Weber to an Akorn Kamado, and I LOVED that Akorn. I moved to an offset and it was really a fun experience as I was more involved with the cook. Suddenly my decisions and actions (and inactions) would have a significant impact on how the cook was going, and how well the fire was burning. All of that translated into good, great, and / or amazing BBQ. I run a BBQ food truck so I ended up moving to an insulated cabinet smoker, and I'm happy with it. I still have a large offset cooker as well, but I rarely use it because I get some great smoke flavor from my cabinet cooker. It's not quite as good as what I get on my offset, but I'm doing a ton of things all night long while cooking, so being able to walk away from the cooker for a few hours is pretty nice.

Not to make your decision any more difficult, but have you heard of Ironside Smokers? They make insulated cabinet smokers which are designed to work as stickburners or as charcoal cookers. This might give you the option depending on how you're feeling on any particular day in terms of attention you want to give to your smoker. Just something to consider before you jump head first into an offset.

www.ironsidesmokers.com

Thanks very much for all the help and advice. I think I am going to go with Shirley as advised.

I love the look of the Ironside, but they are a little outside of my price range.

Back