Secret to super smooth queso dip

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
I’m probably late to the party, but just in case any of y’all are even later, I’m going to share something with the brethren that transformed my queso dip, mac & cheese, Alfredo, basically any cheese sauce you hope will be super smooth and not separate.

Forget flour, forget cornstarch.

Squirt some lemon or lime juice into the bottom of your double boiler. Add a half teaspoon (to a teaspoon) of baking soda and stir until the foaming stops. Add your milk or half-and-half, or whatever and stir. Turn up the heat, stir in your cheese, and a miracle happens.

I have never done this(very late to the party), well I have made cheese sauces but not question dip, but I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the tip!

I will give this a try. I also like to add a can of cream of mushroom soup- makes it really easy to reheat.

I have seen a ton of smoked queso recipes and 0 have had milk or cream in it.. You all use what you wanna use but don't act like every recipe has it and it's normal. I made this recipe for about the last 3 years now works for me. I included the link to traegers queso recipe to this seems to be about average once again no cream... Just saying

1 can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese.
8 ounces cream cheese (cubed)
16 ounces Velveeta
Pico de gallo
1 pound pork sausage
1/3 cup Honey chipotle killer bee rub from kosmos
1 red bell pepper (seeded and diced)
1 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
½ cup yellow onion (diced)

https://www.thefoodhussy.com/traeger-smoked-queso/

Last edited:
^^^^^^

I’ve never seen so many ingredients in a queso sauce or recipe. Nevertheless, you have Velveeta. First ingredient in Velveeta is milk. It also uses sodium citrate. So you are doing it the same as the op but cheating a bit by using processed cheese instead of real cheese, milk, and citrate.

I have seen a ton of smoked queso recipes and 0 have had milk or cream in it.. You all use what you wanna use but don't act like every recipe has it and it's normal. I made this recipe for about the last 3 years now works for me. I included the link to traegers queso recipe to this seems to be about average once again no cream... Just saying

1 can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese.
8 ounces cream cheese (cubed)
16 ounces Velveeta
Pico de gallo
1 pound pork sausage
1/3 cup Honey chipotle killer bee rub from kosmos
1 red bell pepper (seeded and diced)
1 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
½ cup yellow onion (diced)

https://www.thefoodhussy.com/traeger-smoked-queso/

Nice bean dip recipe. LOL

Here’s a simple recipe similar to what’s used in many restaurants, at least down in Tex-Mex country where I grew up.

Ingredients:

• About 200 grams of semi-firm cheese (Monterey Jack works well)

About 80 mL (1/3 cup) evaporated milk (cream is a good substitute; regular milk works but is less good)

40-50 mL fresh squeezed lime juice

1/2 teaspoon (2-3g) baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

About a tablespoon (15g) of butter (optional)

A couple tablespoons canned or pickled green chiles (or just their juice)

Some fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

Salt, and whatever Latin-American spices you might like

Method:

Put the lime juice in a pan and stir in the baking soda. Keep stirring until the foaming completely stops, and let it sit for a few minutes. Turn the heat on medium-high, stir and boil the juice until it's reduced by about half. Stir in the milk.

Tear the cheese into chunks (or grate it) and throw into the pan with the optional butter. Stir until melted smooth and thick. Add all the other ingredients to taste. If the dip is too thick, add more milk; if it's too thin, add more cheese. Eat it with tortilla chips.

Last edited:
It’s easy to talk past one another when we’re using the same words but attach different meanings to them. Some people hear “queso dip” and think this:

I hear “queso dip” and think this:

Meanwhile, let’s all be civil. This isn’t Twitter.

It’s easy to talk past one another when we’re using the same words but attach different meanings to them. Some people hear “queso dip” and think this:

I hear “queso dip” and think this:

Meanwhile, let’s all be civil. This isn’t Twitter.

I right there with you on the queso and the civil part. While I've never made either recipe in the pictures, I have made Rotel countless times. I'd like to try either recipe from the two above pictures and the one Negolien posted too. Some many recipes, so little time.

One bad thing(among many) with social media is the folks who must spread hate and discontent and their miserableness.

Thanks,

Robert

It’s easy to talk past one another when we’re using the same words but attach different meanings to them.

Yep, I'm with ya, no idea what to call that top pic, but it's not a queso I'd ever seen. I'd call it a cheese dip of some sorts. The bottom pic is Queso and almost every recipe for one I've seen or tried has had milk/dairy in it.

Me, I now use real cheese, 4% sodium citrate & usually around 85% liquid. Type of liquid depends on the sauce, milk, cream, beer, etc. And the nice thing about sodium citrate is you can make a cheese sauce out of just about any cheese you want.

My spainglish isn’t the best, but doesn’t queso just mean cheese?

Yes, and that’s why I’ve used the term “queso dip” the entire thread. Saying “queso“ signals you’re talking something Tex-Mex or just Mex. “Dip“ signals that it isn’t grated or just a block or slice.

My spainglish isn’t the best, but doesn’t queso just mean cheese?

So is a quesoburger with American cheese no longer a quesoburger?

Signed,

Confused in Tulsa ��

Hello, confused in Tulsa. I would like to introduce myself, confused in Johnsonville.

What is the difference between a queso dip and cheese dip. I have made both the top and bottom pictures and have considered them both queso. I also add milk to mine when using velveeta because it helps thin out the cheese to some degree. Be careful to not add too much because it will mellow out the taste if you do.

As I look at these pictures I want some queso, or maybe cheese dip because I'm not sure which is which anymore.

Back