THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BKING!

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Brent
Some background first...
So when I first started bbqing I wanted to be “hardcore” and make my own rubs. They were ok but no better than store bought really. Also I had a lot of left over bulk seasonings that expired and it was no cheaper than just buying the rubs/ seasoning blends from the store. So I eventually got to a point to where I just buy them at the store now. The one time I bought some online I bought a 5 pound bag of sweet money rub from BPS and it was so much better than what I’ve ever made myself or bought at the store.

Ok so now that is out of the way....
I want to buy a variety of different rubs/seasonings online. I’m not one of those types that likes to use just one seasoning for everything so variety is key instead of volume. I’ve looked at some sampler packs from oak ridge, Kosmo q, and BPS and wonder which would be a good set to start with.

As far as what I like my taste buds also like variety and I don’t shy away from “non traditional “. I like chili lime wings, spicy pepper/chili ribs, aromatic rubs, etc. I also like bbq rubs too but I like to mix it up. Any suggestions? It doesn’t have to be a sampler pack necessarily but that seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to go about it.

If you have your favorite rub/seasoning Arsenal then go ahead and post it. I might steal it or at least it will give me some ideas

I’m the same with smoking piney except for secret weapon for the pork everything. Competition is good though. Killer hogs is good but limited to a few seasonings.
Good luck on choosing a good rub(s)

Don't overlook layering different rubs. This can be very effective. Along those lines I use two base seasonings which are essentially homemade garlic pepper blends, but way lower in salt, lower in price (than store-bought) and much fresher because you can use top grade spices. I use one or the other for a base rub, then build the flavor with another rub. Here are the recipes, they have many of the basic seasonings many of us like.

thirdeye's Sweet Garlic Pepper Seasoning for Pork
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Red Bell Pepper (ground)

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika

For a variety or non-traditional rub... I would look into Dizzy Pig products. I have used Dizzy Dust and Raging River since their beginning. If you buy the coarse Dizzy Dust you can use it as-is on heavier meats or zap it in the spice grinder to use on smaller cuts. BTW, they have an awesome sampler pack for $22.

From my personal experience, by the time you buy the spices, take the time to weigh and mix them, test them. You really don't save any money by doing it yourself. Add the cost of good quality spices, the time required to process them (time is money), and you have saved nothing. Also after you take time to find high end spices, can also mean that you end up with a spice rack full of things you didn't use much, and after a awhile it just goes to waste. Good spices aren't cheap, and cheap spice aren't good.

Personally, quality rubs are best when left to the higher end commercial producers. Higher quality commercial rub producers do not order run of the mill store shelf types of spices, but rather specific varieties from specific regions. That is why some of the commercial rub producers have superior products. They have years of testing and fine tuning their blends. Yes it's true that with a commercial rub that it was mixed in commercial environment, but with much higher quality control standards that insure consistency time after time.

But not all commercial rubs are created equal.... Some are extremely high in salt or sugar contents, and some are truly balanced.

Naturiffic Q-Salt is a great versatile seasoning.

But for rubs, I like to use a heavy application, so some of my personal favorite rubs are made by Oakridge BBQ Rubs. They use quality fresh ingredients and are hand-crafted when you place your order. This gives you the not only the best ingredients, but also the freshest product possible. You'll also find that Oakridge BBQ Rubs are lower in sugar and salt content than most other producers, this means more spices in the blend, which also means more vivid flavors in the end product.

If you are not sure what to try, order a sample package..... You won't be sorry. There is a wide variety of rubs and enough to do a trial cook for each one.

Santa Maria Grill Seasoning - I like it on steaks, but it is great on anything from vegetables to meat.

Gamebird and Chicken - Don't let the "gamebird" fool you, it's an awesome rub for chicken. Savory, with a bit of sweet, and a slight hint of heat.

Smokey Chile Lime All Purpose Rub - I just started using this, great on pork, chicken, grilled vegetables, and corn on the cob.

Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub - Just awesome with flavors.

Competition Beef & Pork Rub - Great on Beef and Pork.
I like to layer the last two rubs, one at starting, the other about halfway through the cook.

My wife also uses these seasonings in her household cooking.

Rubs are simply tools, when used properly they can bring a new dimension of flavor into your cook.

Wow thanks guys! I’ll definitely look into every single recommendation here. This has given me a lot to research and think about.

Another vote for SuckleBusters. 1836 is awesome on brisket and Hog Waller on butts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

After looking at everything I feel like I’m between suckle busters and oak ridge. I believe I’ll try some stuff from oak ridge first then see how that goes.
I’m thinking...
Competition pork and beef rub
Dominator sweet rib rub
Black ops brisket rub
Santa Maria grill seasoning,
Smokey chili lime,
habanero death dust,
crucible ghost chili rub

I’m a chili head btw... so I’ll probably layer the ghost chili rub or habenero rub on a few things

Bought some Hog Waller to try very shortly, the palm test tastes great and my have to grill up some shoulder steaks to give it a try before a pulled pork cook mid week soon for the wifes work.

I've tested a lot of commercial rubs, around 200+. And for me Simply Marvelous has been the most consistent pleaser that doesn't disappoint. Also BPS and Kosmo's have some good stuff. But for me I like the flavors more a bit more traditional. And then there are 3 Eyz, SGH, BPS, and some other amazing rubs.

After looking at everything I feel like I’m between suckle busters and oak ridge. I believe I’ll try some stuff from oak ridge first then see how that goes.
I’m thinking...
Competition pork and beef rub
Dominator sweet rib rub
Black ops brisket rub
Santa Maria grill seasoning,
Smokey chili lime,
habanero death dust,
crucible ghost chili rub

I’m a chili head btw... so I’ll probably layer the ghost chili rub or habenero rub on a few things
Just as an FYI, if you're not a fan of cinnamon like me, then Dominator may not be for you. A lot of people like it, but just a heads up.

So I went ahead and went with Kosmo q rub. I got 1 pound each of their SPG, dirty bird, cow cover, and killer honey bee rub. If those turn out good I’ll order more and try out their wing dust

Back