THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Howdy all!

I'd seen a post on X about brisket prep recently where the recommendation was made to use mustard to slather the meat prior to applying seasonings. There were commenters that opined about the flavor that would result from the use of mustard.

Back when I first started off on my cooking journey here, I recall being told that yes, mustard was what was used for brisket prep and that no, it would not impart flavor...it was basically seasoning adhesive.

That suggested to me that other things could be used as seasoning adhesives. Being a curious guy, I decided to give it a shot. Not a full, double blind experiment...just the pre-experiment work to see if the concept holds before going out and purchasing two briskets to smoke. 😎

I had a chuck roast available that had been dry brining in the fridge. Time to experiment!

NOTE: I have no idea if dry brining a chuckie does anything positive. I've just sort of gotten into the habit of doing it with all reasonably large format proteins. The down side of dry brining something that you want to season with rub and then smoke is that the dry bringing process makes the surface of the protein, errr...dry. And, a very dry surface makes it harder for seasoning to adhere.

Instead of mustard, I used mayo as adhesive.

Why mayo? I've previously used mayo as an adhesive for seasoning for baked chicken. Works quite well! However, for a short cook for chicken, it DOES provide a bit of mayo flavor to the chicken.

On to the experiment!

I decided that I'd cook the chuckies the way I usually do: cover with rub, then toss on the cooker until IT reach ~ 165; then pull, place in a foil pan and add seasoned beef broth and cover. Cook until IT reaches ~ 203, then remove from heat and let rest until it's cool enough to handle. Then break it apart. Strain off the fat from the broth/juice mix, then add back the beef.

Chuckies pre-seasoning but post dry brining:

Chuckies post rub down with mayo and seasoned with rub:

Chuckies after completing their cook:

Q: Is there any discernible mayo flavor after cooking?
A: Not that I could detect.

Conclusions: mayo works as a seasoning adhesive and doesn't impart mayo flavor to the chuck roast.

What does this mean?

Probably nothing.

I thought I'd use a chuckie to test because: a. I had it available; b. I was wondering how I'd get more seasoning to stick to it. I also thought, if the results suggest that mayo flavor doesn't come through on a relatively short cook for a chuckie, it likely won't happen with a brisket that cooks for much longer. But, to make sure, will need to do additional testing.

If someone wants to fund the next stage of the experiment, please let me know. 🥸

Bruce

@ Andy: after dry brining for ~ 24 hours, the chuckie was dry enough that the seasoning did't adhere well on a previous cook.

BTW: I'm sure a very light coating of water or veggie oil or beer or something else wet would work just dandy. But those experiments will wait until I get the next stage of research funding. 😎

Bruce

Greek yogurt works well, too.
I use it for a binder when I cook prime rib.
As you mentioned, Bruce, most any liquid would help.
Not sure water or beer would be as effective due to the lack of viscosity, but better than nothing.

Howdy all!

I'd seen a post on X about brisket prep recently where the recommendation was made to use mustard to slather the meat prior to applying seasonings. There were commenters that opined about the flavor that would result from the use of mustard.

Back when I first started off on my cooking journey here, I recall being told that yes, mustard was what was used for brisket prep and that no, it would not impart flavor...it was basically seasoning adhesive.

That suggested to me that other things could be used as seasoning adhesives. Being a curious guy, I decided to give it a shot. Not a full, double blind experiment...just the pre-experiment work to see if the concept holds before going out and purchasing two briskets to smoke. 😎

I had a chuck roast available that had been dry brining in the fridge. Time to experiment!

NOTE: I have no idea if dry brining a chuckie does anything positive. I've just sort of gotten into the habit of doing it with all reasonably large format proteins. The down side of dry brining something that you want to season with rub and then smoke is that the dry bringing process makes the surface of the protein, errr...dry. And, a very dry surface makes it harder for seasoning to adhere.

Instead of mustard, I used mayo as adhesive.

Why mayo? I've previously used mayo as an adhesive for seasoning for baked chicken. Works quite well! However, for a short cook for chicken, it DOES provide a bit of mayo flavor to the chicken.

On to the experiment!

I decided that I'd cook the chuckies the way I usually do: cover with rub, then toss on the cooker until IT reach ~ 165; then pull, place in a foil pan and add seasoned beef broth and cover. Cook until IT reaches ~ 203, then remove from heat and let rest until it's cool enough to handle. Then break it apart. Strain off the fat from the broth/juice mix, then add back the beef.

Chuckies pre-seasoning but post dry brining:

Chuckies post rub down with mayo and seasoned with rub:

Chuckies after completing their cook:

Q: Is there any discernible mayo flavor after cooking?
A: Not that I could detect.

Conclusions: mayo works as a seasoning adhesive and doesn't impart mayo flavor to the chuck roast.

What does this mean?

Probably nothing.

I thought I'd use a chuckie to test because: a. I had it available; b. I was wondering how I'd get more seasoning to stick to it. I also thought, if the results suggest that mayo flavor doesn't come through on a relatively short cook for a chuckie, it likely won't happen with a brisket that cooks for much longer. But, to make sure, will need to do additional testing.

If someone wants to fund the next stage of the experiment, please let me know. 🥸

Bruce
I only use mustard or mayo, both work very well, for grilled meats where they are cooked hot and fast. The oils in them help with grilling.

That said, in low and slow smoking as bbq I don’t use either. They are not particularly helpful in bark formation and they stop the rub seasoning from getting into the meat, I want that seasoning in the meat not just outside on the surface. YMMV

Experimenting is always fun :)

I'm in the no binder/slather camp myself and haven't really used them in years. I'll occasionally use worcestershire sauce on a brisket just because I like anchovies on my pizza but otherwise a drop or two of water if the meats really dry but the vast majority of the time I don't use anything.

A little oil before grilling so as not to stick but that's different.

Edited to ad: Yours look really great BTW - I didn't say it at first because I thought it was obvious :)

Last edited:
I agree with @SmokingEdge, in my experience binders prevent the seasonings from actually making contact with the meat. Thus you don't get the same salt penetration into the meat, and you're getting no marinating effect from the herbs / spices.

This being said I'm a big fan of experimentation within BBQ and this was a cool spread of photos and information. Your results are great as well, and it's nice to see people admit things like "no change in flavor." haha Thanks for the thread.

Years ago, on the BBQ contest circuit there was an inside rumor that became a joke that one of the more successful team's secret to winning the brisket categories was that the team used mayo as a binder for their brisket entries. At that time, several teams did use mustard on their ribs, pork butt and briskets, but the rumor validated the mayo instead of mustard because you could not detect the mayo taste like you do mustard. I never tried a side by side comparison to evaluate the difference. At one time I did use mustard as a binder. I found that using Pam spray worked just as well for a binder and it was a lot less messy.

Thanks for posting your experiment and taking the time to do the write up.

Beers to you,

Juggy D Beerman

I use mayo slather on chicken and toasted breads. My beef prep mixture is all black ingredient's molasses, balsamic vinegar, wash yo sister sauce, ect...

Back