Royale Fab Direct Cooker

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
What a fun afternoon - my cooker was delivered this morning - thing is a beast! Got it all seasoned up with grape seed oil inside and linseed oil on the outside - did an initial 3 hour burn, then tossed on some venison brats, venison meatloaf, Dino ribs and scalloped potatoes -

Had a blast cookin on this - removed the deflector plates and just ran a direct heat fire, with a mop, similar to Snow’s - back yard smelled great with the fat hitting those coals - mailman even stopped by to see what was cookin!

Can’t say enough about the guys at https://www.royalebbqfabrication.com - they were great to work with - cooker is a tank and built to last

Sorry no after photos - long day of cooking and enjoying some Lone Star

Very nice! How many inches is the cook grate from the coals when you have them all the way on the bottom? What choices of distances does it have to move it closer if you want?

Top grate is 24 inches above heat source

Bottom grate is 18 inches above

Heat deflectors (if you want to run low and slow ) sit 12 inches above heat source - I removed these for yesterdays direct heat cook

Can move the fire basket up to the 2nd level - so would sit 6 inches below top grate -

Guess you could also put the cooking grates on the braces that hold the heat deflector - and if you did that would be 12 inches from heat source

If I was doing steaks - could cook them at the top level 24 inches from heat - pull them around 115 - and throw a grate on top of the fire basket down on the bottom and do a reverse seat that way

So here is the fire basket at bottom of cooker

Here are the deflector plates - about 12 inches above bottom

Here is the bottom cooking grates - about 18 inches from bottom - can also move the fire basket up to this level.

And here are the top grates - 24 inches from bottom

So here is the fire basket at bottom of cooker

Here are the deflector plates - about 12 inches above bottom

Here is the bottom cooking grates - about 18 inches from bottom - can also move the fire basket up to this level.

And here are the top grates - 24 inches from bottom

Thanks. OK got it.....sweet! Another tool in the shed for play time. :heh:

7ng2ox.jpg

Runs on lump or feed splits?

Run on either - I did mostly lump, but threw a stick or two for some smoke. I have never cooked on a drum - but would assume similar if drum is direct over heat/no deflector

Really enjoyed the taste - didn’t appear as rich as when I smoke on my offset - backyard smelled great with the fat hitting the coals

Congrats Hojo! First cook looks great. How often did you replenish the coals?
Did you wrap at some point?

On my direct box, I find myself wrapping earlier because the bark forms faster.

Congrats Hojo! First cook looks great. How often did you replenish the coals?
Did you wrap at some point?

On my direct box, I find myself wrapping earlier because the bark forms faster.

Doesn’t take a lot of fuel to get going - maybe 2/3rd of a chimney of lump -

About every 2-3 hours I threw a hand full or two of lump on

Also did a stick or two of post oak for some smoke

Got some 3/4 inch fire bricks I just put on bottom of cooker - Interested to see how it runs next cook with those bricks in

Never wrapped on this cook - that meatloaf took about 75 minutes

Ribs I went bone down for about 3.5 hours - mopped a couple of times - and meat side down for about 1.5 hours - so a 5 hour cook

Back