THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jwh

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been honing my salsa-makin' & cannin' chops for a few years now, and have decided that simpler has turned out not only to be cheaper, but better. Starting out, I would have many different herbs, spices, veggies, trying to make a complex salsa (avocado, tomatillo, tomato paste, lime, cilantro). Now, I won't say those salsas weren't delicious. They were pretty good; however, as the grocery store would run out of certain ingredients, or as I would be weary of taking extra prep-time, I began to include fewer things, and I found that I liked the salsa better. Very surprising to me was that I liked my salsa more without cilantro, even though I love cilantro. Adding cilantro certainly doesn't make it taste bad, by any stretch. I've attached pictures of my prep and the final product.

Basically, it's a tomato-light, chile dominant salsa. The chiles used are mostly non-hot but high-flavor chiles. The counts truly different every time I make them. I mostly eyeball amounts. The basis is lots of Anaheims and Poblanos, a few tomatoes, 3-4 garlic cloves, salt, and -if you want heat- many many fresh serranos.

20 Anaheim peppers
15 Poblano peppers
4-5 tomatoes (I usually use the "Tomatoes on the vine," but above were some Romas)
3-4 cloves of garlic
Salt (desired amount)
Serranos or Jalapenos (desired amount - for the amounts listed, I would probably throw in about 25-30 serranos)

Instructions:

1. Broil the Anaheim and Poblano chilis until charred on each side. Set aside.
2. While the chiles are roasting/broiling, in a food processor, chop up the tomatoes and mince the garlic to desired consistency, and add the jalapenos/serranos if using them. Put that in a separate large bowl.
3. After emptying the food processor, chop up the roasted chiles to desired consistency. Add to the bowl of tomatoes and garlic.
4. Stir that til all is mixed well.
5. If you're planning on canning it, can it.
6. If it's for serving soon, put it in a sealed container, and let it sit several hours in the fridge (I usually make it at night and let it sit in the fridge all night)

If you make a smaller amount, and have a big enough food processor, you can likely chop all the ingredients up at once. I usually make large amounts, and can it.

Attachments

Making salsa is something I've only recently started doing - thanks for putting this up!
My pleasure! It's hard to beat a salsa that includes roasted chiles, in my humble opinion. Although, a bare-bones pico never hurt anybody. :)

You should try roasting/smoking the tomatoes and tomatillos. For that matter, this is a bbq website, why broil the peppers? Roast those on a wood fire! The smoke will bring it up a notch for sure. I would roast/smoke the Jalapenos and serranos as well.

Thank you for sharing the recipe! It looks/sounds tasty. I'd love to try that with hatch chilis when they're in season.

• Thanks
Reactions: jwh
You should try roasting/smoking the tomatoes and tomatillos. For that matter, this is a bbq website, why broil the peppers? Roast those on a wood fire! The smoke will bring it up a notch for sure. I would roast/smoke the Jalapenos and serranos as well.

Thank you for sharing the recipe! It looks/sounds tasty. I'd love to try that with hatch chilis when they're in season.
Thank you, Matt.

That's definitely a goal of mine, circumstances permitting.

I have only recently acquired a smoker, and brisket was my first attempt at smoking anything. Regrettably -because I live in an apartment in the middle of a cement jungle- my smoker stays out at my folks' place in the woods. So, for now, I'm stuck with an oven and a broiler. I don't really use tomatillos anymore, as -in my estimation- they've not added much to the overall flavor profile I'm goin' for.

As for the hatch chiles, they are some of my favorites, but hard to find out of season here in DFW. Anaheims are basically their milder cousins.

I appreciate the direction!

If you substitute tomatillos for the tomatoes that is very close to my salsa verde recipe!

Thanks for posting!

• Thanks
when I make salsa, ( which is not very often ) its very close to what you have, though I roast everything, tomatoes, garlic, all of it, Usually I use hatch chilies roasted on the grill

• Thanks
Back