Rotel Velveeta Dip- Classic Football with Fritos

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
OR do this.

Make your own salsa roasted and smoked. Make a roux add whole milk or half and half. Thin it out and add flavored cheeses. Pepper jack, Oaxaca all the melty Mexican, some sharps etc. Add in your roasted smoked salsa to desired taste, texture & appearance.

Or 2#brick of Velveeta and a can of Rotel

Your call

#fritos
#roastgrillsmokesalsaveggies

Last edited:
Another Dip Hack

Follow the above for roux and melty cheeses. Cook up 6-7 extra bacon wrapped ABTs. Generic like you find premade. Stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon. Food processor the cooked cold leftover ABTs and add to the cheese mixture.

Why no meat. Personal preference I don't add meats to my "Rotel Dip".
Why?? I find it too rich. I can make a regular Rotel Dip and destroy a bag of Fritos then eat a meal. The cheese dips with meat, I'm done. Pretty quickly too. Too filling.

I'm a no meat guy with my cheese dips, unless I'm wanting to be full

From scratch better but....

From scratch is better....BUT, there are times when the crap version is a time saver and well...it often is pretty good too.

I make my "crap" version:

1 large regular velveeta
1 small jalapeño veleeta (often marketed now as Mexican velveeta).

1 can rotel (original)

Diced pickled jalapeños to taste

1 can cambells cheddar cheese soup

3 or so large spoonfuls of sour cream

Pickled jalapeno juice to taste and to thin out the mix a bit.

about 1/2 - 1 tsp ground cumin
about 1 tsp ground chili powder

about 1/2 cup or so Pace medium picante sauce

---

I throw the soup, pickled jalapeños, cumin, chili powder, rotten into the large food processor with the blades in.

Pulse a few times.

I cube up the velveeta cheese to fit through the feeding hole in the processor so as not to have to stop the blades spinning.

I feed in the velveeta with the motor running the whole time.

before it gets too thick I"ll throw in the sour cream, the picante sauce and jalapeño juice.

Once all blended in....I spatula this out and microwave it in segments, and stirring in between.

I found that doing it stovetop, dried it out too much.

Anyway, that's my crap version of "rotel Cheese dip".

Last edited:
Homemade is always best. But an even easier hack, just crack a jar of Tostitos Salsa Con Queso and warm it up. Just as good as the Rotel version but one jar and done.

Some things I've found.

I think Rotel Mexican Style with lime and cilantro is a good improvement over the regular version for cheese dip and many other uses.

Red Gold makes a nice "Rotel" that comes in 14oz cans instead of those little 10oz ones. Supposedly they make the Mexican style too but I've never seen it in the wild.

Using one can of Red Gold will thin down a standard size batch of dip to the point leftovers are still dippable after a trip thru the fridge, as will using two cans of real Rotel.

What chips?

While I LOVE Fritos...and tortilla chips....

When trying to ditch the carbs but still enjoy foods.....

I've eaten cheese dip many a time with plan pork rinds/skins/chicarrones.

Anyone else tried these?

What else do you dip in your cheese dip?

Back