Rib Membranes

I usually remove, but the last spare I did was just scored, it came out like the picture and wasn't a problem....unfortunately, the spare wasn't great, I think it was just this one as I used the same process and they always came out good before.....edible, but not great.....

I prefer to remove. If I do leave the membrane on, I like to give them a good bottom sear post smoke to crisp the membrane.

A problem is ribs that have the membrane already "mostly" removed. If it isn't done well, then removing the remaining membrane is very difficult because it rips apart, etc. My ribs usually come from Costco. They are Smithfield, and the ribs have the membrane mostly removed.

In cases of partial membrane the only alternative seems to be scoring or ignoring. I've wondered if a stainless brush might help.

Like most everyone here, I can remove a full membrane quite well.

A more serious gripe with these ribs is bits of bone left from sawing. I rinse and try and remove all bits, but some of it is embedded and I don't detect it until later. Sometimes it is minor, sometimes more major. I know they run those saws at insane speeds, and this is bone breaking rather than clean cutting. That is a big headache and risk, but a discussion for another thread.

TBH- I cook 2 racks max at a time. If I'm smoking, I will peel them off. If I'm direct heat grilling, I leave them on. Not a "scoring" fan...I can pull one just about as fast as I can score one. (ok- scoring IS faster - but not by an appreciable amount)

But if I did a BUTT load of ribs- every day? Those puppies are staying on- nodootaboodit.

Yeah, I don't think any bbq place doing any volume would bother removing the membrane,

I've had them both ways, the membrane if not removed doesn't bother me.

I pull unless they are being hung. Or I just don't feel like it. Never tried scoring, as far as I recall.

Both racks and the imaginary KBB Mac 'n Cheese look pretty darn good to me.

Back