Making Au Jus with prime rib bones.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
So my local grocery stores have been putting prime rib on sale at about $7/lb for choice grade. So, as is my tradition, I've picked up a couple. I've cut one of them down into steaks and another will be sliced for cheesesteak sandwiches, leaving the final one for a nice prime rib dinner. All 3 of the roasts came with the ribs cut off then retied to the roast. I've now got 7 ribs and the meat between them that I'd like to use to make Au Jus. I've spent some time searching Google for Au Jus recipes and none of the ones I've found have used the prime rib bones for making the Au Jus. These recipes use Ox tails and other bones with marrow as the "roasted" meat base. So my question is, can you make a good Au Jus with using just the rib bones and meat around them from the prime rib roast or am I better off smoking the rib bones and surrounding meat and using Ox tail for the Au Jus?

prime rib bones make some of the best beef back ribs. I would not waste them making an au jus.

Minor's makes a pretty good beef au jus base.

I Just finished making beef stock from scratch over the weekend, with the intent to use it in a homemade Au Jus for prime rib Christmas.

My stock consisted of a couple lbs of "beef marrow bones", beef necks, and some bone-in ny strip bones I saved over the last month..all grilled for ~60 minutes along with mirepoix. I can't think of a reason your prime rib bones wouldn't be awesome for a stock/au jus. As Bob mentioned, you can make some tasty stuff with those bones also.

Eating the ribs is my favorite part of making prime rib. To use the bones - I would totally use a pressure cooker. That will get everything out of the bones and meat and into the broth. A mirepoix as mentioned above in the pressure cooker as well. Maybe a roux with broth poured over it to bring that broth to a thicker dipping Au Jus consistency.

If you just cut away the meat from the bones after roasting them you can have the best of both worlds. Eat the meat, cook the bones after you picked them clean. Not using your teeth....

Back