Revolutionary Pizza Steel

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Here is a video from the Misen Oven Steel.Kick Starter site

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/misenkitchen/the-misen-oven-steel.

More details:
With more than 10,000 backers, the Misen Oven Steel promises more accurate temperatures and therefore better food.

Home cooks take note: there’s a new kind of pizza stone in town. Founded by former FreshDirect vice president Omar Rada in Greenpoint, Brooklyn circa 2015, Misen takes pride in its thoroughly tested, yet affordable, kitchenware including knives, pans, prep tools, and more.

However, its latest project goes a step further, making the ambitious claim that “your oven is lying to you” and it has the fix. The Misen Oven Steel is a sensational new tool specifically designed to improve the precision of your oven’s temperature targets, bringing them from a 30- to 50-degree margin of error all the way down to 5 to 10 degrees.

While it doesn’t claim to have reinvented the oven stone, it doesn’t really have to. Misen makes the comparison right off the bat, asserting that stone, versus steel, is prone to cracking and leaves something to be desired when it comes to the transfer and distribution of heat.

Of course, despite its intended purpose being indistinguishable from that of a pizza stone, Misen’s Oven Steel isn’t just for pizza. You can also use it to cook meat, vegetables, and bread as well as desserts. Its 13.5- x 10-inch perimeter gives you plenty of room to experiment, and its heavy duty A36 carbon steel material makes it virtually indestructible, according to the Kickstarter listing. You can even combine multiple Oven Steel units to secure more real estate for browning larger dishes.

The Oven Steel appears to be incredibly versatile (and recyclable!), which may explain its overwhelming surge in popularity since the campaign launched on May 20. As of this writing, it has already surpassed its funding goal more than 45 times over as the number of backers steadily escalates. Starting at $55, you can bring home your own Oven Steel at Kickstarter. Misen anticipates its initial batch will ship in November of this year, so you won’t have to wait too long to start cooking with fire — this time at more exact temps.

I’ve always struggled to decide how much was real vs marketing hype with their products. In this case though, there isn’t s lot of complexity/technology involved. I’m sure it works.

I don't see the point of this since billions of people use ovens and turn out great food even with the temp variance. Can you use the plate as a pizza stone? :-D

I have an oven steel, not this brand but it's the same thing - a rectangular sheet of 1/4" steel. Use it both in the oven and on the pellet grill. It works great.

I leave my pizza steel (1/4", 16X18) in my oven permanently. This one is too small for makin pizza comfortably. I don't see anything new here.

Here's the deal:

The Misen Oven steel is nothing new. The Baking Steel, a nearly similar product, was launched nearly a decade earlier with glowing reviews by many top food media outlets. I learned about it on Serious Eats/Slice.

https://bakingsteel.com/

I almost bought one, but then the Blackstone Pizza oven entered my life, and that changed everything, so I forgot about it.

Nonetheless, what IS new is how the Misen steel is marketed. The Misen steel is represented by well thought out selling points supported by professional imagery and video/animation that push the right impulse buttons that will get people to want to buy it.

The Baking Steel folks didn't do that, so here we are today with the Misen steel, with a nearly identical product that does the exact same thing with nearly $1.4 million in backers, vs the less than $40k that Baking Steel was able to raise.

Since this product is non-patentatble, anyone can produce and sell it, BUT, whoever most successfully markets it will become the leading brand, until perhaps a bunch of Chinese knock offs start appearing for sale on Amazon and eBay. In the meantime, I predict a short form direct response TV/Youtube infomercial for this product in the near future.

You would get the same effect if you just filled your oven with rocks. I just happen to have a whole bunch of rocks and will gladly ship them out to all youse guys for $25 each (plus shipping of course), less than half the cost of these steel plates. Of course, rocks are much more environmentally friendly as that steel takes a lot of energy to produce (think of the carbon fingerprint). Also, when not in use, rocks make a nice pet that you don't have to feed.

thing-a-day-2013-16-googly-eyed-rock.jpg

(Googly eyes are an extra $10)

You would get the same effect if you just filled your oven with rocks. I just happen to have a whole bunch of rocks and will gladly ship them out to all youse guys for $25 each (plus shipping of course), less than half the cost of these steel plates. Of course, rocks are much more environmentally friendly as that steel takes a lot of energy to produce (think of the carbon fingerprint). Also, when not in use, rocks make a nice pet that you don't have to feed.

For some odd reason, and I can't put my finger on it exactly, it doesn't seem like you will be buying the Misen Steel...

The googly eyes certainly make it revolutionary! You are definitely on to something!

The googly eyes certainly make it revolutionary! You are definitely on to something!

I can't help but notice you seem quite taken with the word "revolutionary", Bob. I did scour the Misen Steel page and the word "revolutionary" was nowhere to be found. :confused:

And now, you have declared Gore's rocks "revolutionary", albeit only the ones with the googly eyes, as well.

I think you are up to something of some kind or another...:twitch:

:caked:

For some odd reason, and I can't put my finger on it exactly, it doesn't seem like you will be buying the Misen Steel...

Why would I purchase from the competition when I am offering a superior, environmentally friendly option? :noidea: Heck, the OP, even describes it as revolutionary!

I can't get past the claim of "fixing" my swinging oven temps. I smell something, and it smells like you know what! But in today's pricey market, $55 isn't too bad for that size steel. I agree that it is too narrow to be a serious contender as a pizza steel. Whoever thought a 10" wide steel should be their first offering has questionable judgement IMO.

Why would I purchase from the competition when I am offering a superior, environmentally friendly option? :noidea: Heck, the OP, even describes it as revolutionary!

May we see pictures of pizzas cooking on your product, please? I'm a bit concerned about the outcomes of cooking on highly uneven surfaces.

Might be marketing genius.

10" might be wide enough for some people, it has to be easier to manage- and you can keep the price down.

If you want or need bigger you can just buy another- then you have (2) affordable, revolutionary cooking inventions.

I'm not in the market for any "new" gizmos - but plenty of people are.

Back