Random thoughts about Using Lump vs Briquettes

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
All summer long I've been using lump charcoal.

My buddy goes to Restaurant Depot and brings back big bags of Royal Oak for $10 a bag. It's been great and all but there seems to be a lot of small pieces that fall right through the grates. I had it in my head that I was getting better flavor from the lump and the price was right . But for my last couple of smokes using the kettle instead of the smoker and setting up for the snake method I really can't tell the difference in flavor from using lump vs briquettes and it seems a whole lot more consistent burning with the briquettes. There aren't big chunks of lump that take a while to light up and there aren't small pieces that fall right through the grates.

I think the strategy I'm going to employ going forward is to simply load up on both when great deals present themselves and use the lump predominantly in the smoker and the briquettes in the kettle.

What are your thoughts?

I used to have a Primo XL. For several years I used nothing but lump as per the manufacturers instructions. I would dump the charcoal into a big aluminum pan and sort it. Then I would put the big pieces in the bottom of my cooker. Medium on top of the big ones and the little pieces on the very top. This prevented the little pieces from falling through the grate. Then I would throw the dust away. Lump is the best charcoal to use for any type of charcoal cooker IMO. The problem is that on average it is two to four times the price of briquettes. Another issue with lump is finding foreign matter like plywood, insulation and rocks in the bag. I no longer have the Primo but I have WSM's and a kettle. I look for the best deals on fuel now which is pretty much always KBB. At $.25-$.28 per pound for KBB on sale it is hard for me to pay the $.70-$1.25 for lump. Tastewise I cannot tell any difference whether I am cooking with briqs or lump. Just my two cents.

My buddy goes to Restaurant Depot and brings back big bags of Royal Oak for $10 a bag. It's been great and all but there seems to be a lot of small pieces that fall right through the grates. I had it in my head that I was getting better flavor from the lump and the price was right . But for my last couple of smokes using the kettle instead of the smoker and setting up for the snake method I really can't tell the difference in flavor from using lump vs briquettes and it seems a whole lot more consistent burning with the briquettes. There aren't big chunks of lump that take a while to light up and there aren't small pieces that fall right through the grates.

I think the strategy I'm going to employ going forward is to simply load up on both when great deals present themselves and use the lump predominantly in the smoker and the briquettes in the kettle.

What are your thoughts?

It really comes down to a matter of personal choice as well as what the smoker likes to burn. I use lump charcoal because it burns hotter, my Humphrey's will not go above 225 with briquettes, where as it will sing along at 275 and over 300 if I desire that temperature.

As far as the little pieces, that comes from the bags of charcoal being mishandled and thrown around. Lump charcoal is almost pure carbon with most of the impurities removed so it is very light and fragile. When the bags are tossed they will break the contents into smaller pieces. My suggestion is to take the extra time and hand select your bags before purchasing. My local Lowe's manager will bring a new pallet out for me to select my bags to purchase.

Yes briquettes will burn at a more consistent controlled rate because they have additives in them, thus the reason they are much heavier when compared to lump.

Lump Charcoal - is hardwood that has been heated to a high temperature in the absence of oxygen. The process drives off many chemical impurities that cause natural wood to burn with a visible flame and smoke, leaving behind almost pure carbon that burns cleanly without producing much smoke, flame, and ash.

Charcoal briquettes are a manufactured product that involves pressing charcoal and other materials into the characteristic pillow shape that most backyard grillers know so well. Yes lump charcoal will burn cleaner, hotter, and produce less ash than briquettes will.

From an earlier post.....

CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES or LUMP CHARCOAL - an Age Old Debate

First we need to realize that not all charcoal is created using the same methods and manners of production. There are various levels of the quality in the production of both lump charcoal and charcoal briquettes. Simply put there is no equality in the use of different types or brands of charcoal.

Generally speaking Lump charcoal is made from pieces of wood whereas briquettes have binders and other additives which hold them together and control the rate of burn.

Lump Charcoal - Just as it states, these are random sized pieces of hardwood charcoal. It is just wood that has been turned into charcoal using heat without combustion. Lump charcoal contains more carbon and less impurities. Lump charcoal will burn at a higher temperature and will leave less ash than briquettes.

Briquette Charcoal - Are uniform pillow shaped pieces of charcoal. Most briquettes are simply the left over by-products of wood manufacturing products and scrap from the Lump Charcoal Producers. They take the by-products and left over pieces and grind them to a consistent size and then use potato, wheat or corn starch as a binding agent. Some Producers also add mineral char, coal, limestone, starch, borax, and sodium nitrate.

The advantage of briquettes is that they burn at a lower temperature for a longer period of time because of the specific chosen additives in the manufacturing process.

Some say briquettes are ideally suited if you are doing ribs or using the low and slow cooking method for long hours. Briquettes now also come in flavors by impregnating bits of hickory or mesquite chips into the briquettes have for an added ease of usage.

Many users say the binders and additives used in briquette production give the meat an off taste during the cooking process.

Bottom line it is what you like to use or what works best for you...

But keep in mind there are several levels of quality of both lump and briquettes, some brands of briquettes claim to have no unwanted additives.

New to the site but that had to bo one of the best explanation that I have heard or read

I pay about 17 bucks for a 40 pound bag of Mesquite. Have the polar opposite problem of the op. Pieces are so large they need to be taken down in size. Ain't nothing a welding chipping hammer won't fix. I have used KBB in my Egg. Only gripe about ithe the ash. In the end it doesn't save me any $$ over the lump.
I hate RO. It takes 2 40 pound bags of Mesquite to equal the same amount of fines/dust I was getting from one of the larger, think it is 17 pounds, of RO.
Even when Home Depot has the larger bags on sale the price per pound is higher than the Mesquite I use. I also have found several pieces of junk in every bag of RO I have used. The rocks are one thing, but have found fiberglass matting in almost every bag of RO. When I was using the RO I used to just dump it in the Egg. Noticed an "off" smell one day.....it was a rag.
Thanks, no RO for me. If all I could get was RO or KBB I would,be burning KBB

I have used both and while i prefer lump, i am budget driven to use briquettes. When the big box store has a sale i can get 2 18 lbs. bags of kbb for $10. that will not get me one bag of lump.
I do not think if you are using a good brand of briquettes that taste is affected either way, just my 2 cents though. Good luck and happy smokes either way you go.

Here in Austria I'm lucky to have these people about a hours drive away...

http://www.holzkohle.at/Koehlerei/Willkommen.html

Great quality

Charcoal_MAN2545_zps075a3afa.jpg

Charcoal_MAN2550_zpsa3c64fcc.jpg

Charcoal_MAN2550_zpsa3c64fcc.jpg

I can absolutely taste the difference between KBB and lump on long cooks in the smoker.

I have no shame in buying KBB if Im just doing some camping or quick grilling.

Embarassed that I was one of the guys buying 900lbs during the sales of KBB. a test of the soil behind my garage would come up as 60% KBB, 30% urine, and 10% soil.

I do exactly the same. Lump for the smoker (Weber Bullet) and KB for the kettles (also Weber.)

JimT

What are your thoughts?

I always use briquettes in my Assassin, and lump in my Kamado and get great results. However, while at the royal I borrowed another brand of gravity feed smoker and used lump. While it provided a great, clean burn, there were three separate occasions where bridging occurred. Since briquettes do just as well and don't cause bridging issues, I will continue to use briquettes, despite the excess ash.

I use RO lump for a good bed of coals on my stick burner, then all splits. I start the lump with a half chimney of RO briqs. I know that RO gets some bad press for sparks, fines, etc. However, I have never had any of those issues and I love my RO. Joe

I use a mix of Mesquite lump mixed with KBB and also splits
Here in Phoenix I get a 40lb Bag o Mesquite at Costco for 11.00 and Buy KBB when its on sale and Get splits from whatever source is cheap !

I will use both. I mainly get RO lump and Stubbs briqs.

I have a 22.5 WSM. When I use Stubss i normally use a snake method to avoid the ash smothering problem if I use the normal set up. Since then, no problem due to ash at all and the Stubbs burns a while for sure.

I do note the Stubbs seems to have some uncarbonized wood aroma/smoke. I consider it is worth 1-2 wood chunks--enough to notice but not enough to put in a new zip code

Just my $0.02

I use RO for long smoker cooks. True there are some pretty big chunks in there, and they could affect the cook. However in the name of consistancy, I start every cook by "building" my coal bed to begin with. All those large chunks break up pretty easily by hand. Building the coal bed also gives me the opportunity to strategically place wood chunks evenly throughout the charcoal. By hand building instead of pouring, those small chunks find a home in the pile too.

Back