Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Greg
Briq vs briq.

Mano y mano.

Nope, not the same product IMO.

I recently found a bag of Stubbs Charcoal briquettes, which were discontinued about 3 to 4 years ago. So I bought a bag of Cowboy charcoal briquettes to compare as Cowboy says it is the same as the old Stubbs briqs.

First difference is the size (Stubbs on left in photos, Cowboy on right). Cowboy is visually 10-15% larger. Second, Cowboy does not contain as many identifiable wood chips/pieces within each briq (neither had significant amounts). Third, and most noticeable to me, was the foul/off putting smell of Cowboy while lighting in comparison to Stubbs.

Since I used both types during the same rib and butt cook I can’t comment on taste or amount of smoke imparted.

Close but no cigar. Cowboy “Stubbed” it’s toe claiming to be the same product.

Attachments

• IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4602.jpg
    IMG_4602.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4628.jpg
    IMG_4628.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4652.jpg
    IMG_4652.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 254
I miss Stubb's.

I did a comparison some years back with old vs new Kingsford blue and there was a huge difference. Obviously old trumped new. It burnt clean without the infamous KBB gasoline smell everyone hates and virtually no smoke at light up. Excellent stuff and I wish they still made it the same as they did back then.

A bag from the twilight zone (1991) :heh:

l5e08Dph.jpg

Old on left, new on right

OsaoEOdh.jpg

tsSaX04h.jpg

Old K blue weighed more as well

f7BuNQuh.jpg

New

59W6nqxh.jpg

Mostly use lump. Stubbs is the best briq I ever tried. Could throw it on a dying fire to fire it back up with no fear of stink. Why did Stubbs get discontinued/go out of business?

Still have most of a bag of Stubbs.

I miss Stubb's.

I did a comparison some years back with old vs new Kingsford blue and there was a huge difference. Obviously old trumped new. It burnt clean without the infamous KBB gasoline smell everyone hates and virtually no smoke at light up. Excellent stuff and I wish they still made it the same as they did back then.

A bag from the twilight zone (1991) :heh:

l5e08Dph.jpg

Old on left, new on right

OsaoEOdh.jpg

tsSaX04h.jpg

Old K blue weighed more as well

f7BuNQuh.jpg

New

59W6nqxh.jpg
Woah! Blast from the past!,

Agree there was something better about the vintage Kingsford! Maybe it’s all the fond memories of youth?

I've been using the Cowboy for a while now, since the Walmart twin pack is a great value. I had been using Stubbs before Weber came out. Stubbs was excellent too. The Cowboy briqs don't seem to burn as hot as I'd like. Jealous Devil are very good, but spendy! Weber briquettes were my favorite by a long shot. I still have 3 bags I'm saving for no real reason, other than I can't get them anymore.

The Cowboy briqs don't seem to burn as hot as I'd like..

That's a fact.

My favorite at the time is R.O. Super Size briqs.
They burn clean, smell great, and leave a snow white ash.
90 minute round trip to buy em and I never know if they be on sale or not till I get there.

I used Stubbs for a long time and was sad when it went away. And I was happy when Cowboy came forward making the "we're Stubbs" claim. My problem is availability I hate stock piling charcoal for lack of space and had to drive too far to get it by the bag.
My local Ace carries Blues Hog and it has become my new goto.

Actually it is rebranded Stubb's. Here is a statement that was posted a few years ago on another forum:

Thank you for contacting us. Lowe’s and some other retailers are currently transitioning from Stubb’s to our Cowboy Hardwood Briquets. The hardwood briquets are the same, just with different branding. This change was made to consolidate to a unified brand offering at Lowe’s.
Aside from Lowe’s, you can also find the Cowboy Hardwood Briquets at Kroger, True Value, and other grocery stores.
Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood, just like the Stubb’s briquets that you currently use. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. You can find them here on our website.
I hope this information was helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Thank you,
Jessica Ledesma
Consumer Affairs
Cowboy Charcoal, LLC"

So if anyone else out there is looking for Stubb's, keep an eye out for the Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets. It's the same product.

Back in the day, and currently a few top shelf lumps are 100% coals of 100% of the tree listed. Now most are blends, so one lot of coals wearing the same bag brand can be different.

Same with briquettes, they are a blended molded processed lump coals. So unless you get the coconut shell or lucky enough to find briquettes made with crushed coals of same tree.
A maker with extremely tight procurement and processing, they're gonna differ bag to bag. Mostly normal, sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic.

Even wood splits can have it's thang going on..was it sprayed with fertilizer, pesticides etc.

In this hobby of ours the heat can be as big a crapshoot as the meat.

Yet we continue striking matches, igniting torches and pushing the go buttons.

Cowboy/Stubbs versus others. When I burned several bags recently of Kingsford Chile Cumin my coal were declining at 7-8 hours in my drum. Cowboy at same basket fill was still 250°+ 11 hours in. I've been thru 6 bags of Cowboy from WM. It's been good to me

Trying different wood, coals and pellets is an enjoyable part of this addiction

Last edited:
In this hobby of ours the heat can be as big a crapshoot as the meat.

Yet we continue striking matches, igniting torches and pushing the go buttons.

Trying different wood, coals and pellets is an enjoyable part of this addiction

True words, Adams.

Actually it is rebranded Stubb's. Here is a statement that was posted a few years ago on another forum:

Thank you for contacting us. Lowe’s and some other retailers are currently transitioning from Stubb’s to our Cowboy Hardwood Briquets. The hardwood briquets are the same, just with different branding. This change was made to consolidate to a unified brand offering at Lowe’s.
Aside from Lowe’s, you can also find the Cowboy Hardwood Briquets at Kroger, True Value, and other grocery stores.
Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood, just like the Stubb’s briquets that you currently use. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. You can find them here on our website.
I hope this information was helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Thank you,
Jessica Ledesma
Consumer Affairs
Cowboy Charcoal, LLC"

So if anyone else out there is looking for Stubb's, keep an eye out for the Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets. It's the same product.

Thanks for the info. I remember you posting this in the past, and I was skeptical of Cowboy’s claim.

No offense but I trust my senses and recent comparison more then I trust the consumer affairs employee at Cowboy.

But I’ll still buy the double bag of Cowboy when on sale, just don’t care for the misleading claims.

Back