Quick knife question

I use mostly a chef's knife, Santoku, bread knife, and pairing knife. I purchased a knife block separately, and I purchased knife sheaths for my other knives. If anyone is helping me in my kitchen, I tell them to leave the knives to me. I wash them by hand.

Wusthof makes an excellent knife. I own the 7 inch Santoku. It keeps it's edge, and it is my favorite knife for slicing and chopping. My wrist does not get tired when I use it. It cost me almost 90 dollars more than 10 years ago, and it was worth it.

It is a good idea to see how the knife feels in your hand prior to purchasing.

OK, I usually don't give advice on what knives another person should own. It is a personal decision that is different for everyone. That said, I personally would only get regular use out of 4 pieces in that set. The chef, the serrated bread knife, the 6' utility and the parer. These are all I use out of my Henckles block. The poultry shears are not much more than a pair of scissors ( I have replaced them with a good pair). I don't have guests over for steak. I do like the wood block. I don't use the steel because it is serrated and therefore it removes steel from the edges.It has also been replaced with a smooth steel ( it just re-aligns the rolled edge). See what I mean? It is different for everyone. Personally I would just buy the best quality knives that I know would get all my needs addressed. If you don't know, at this time, then put this item on your list, get it for free, and you will know in a short while what you and your new bride really use regularly and what you wished was in the block. Once you've determined this, buy the best you can afford individually.

Short answer:
Hell yeah! Let your "on the house" experiment be your teacher..

Congrats on your new life!

Just an idea about a "set" of knives. I bought a good set of Soligen stainless steel knives about 12 years ago, complete with a nice butcher block holder. They look real nice sitting on my kitchen counter taking up space. That said, I use about 3 of said set. The 8 inch chef, the 6 inch boning knife, and the small parring knife. We occasionally use some of the steak knives. All the rest are basically unused. The bread knife has seen no use, as I have a cheap Wally World bread knife ($5) that is a throw away when it gets dull, and I just go out and buy another one. I have a small (non profit) knife sharpening business that I run out of my home, and find that the serrated bread knives are not worth the effort or time spent trying to sharpen them back to original sharpness. Hence the cheap throw a way's.

Having paid over $400 for my set 12 years ago, had I known what I know now, I would have bought the three knives I use all the time, and a cheap set of steak knives. The set looks very nice with their white handles, but I could have saved about $300 to be spent on some good quality beef to cook instead.

AS mentioned above, go to a quality store that sells good knives, and try them on for fit and how they feel in your hands. Locally here, Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries some good Wusthof knives, in both series. The key is to see how they feel to your hand and to your wallet. A good quality knife is an investment that will last you a lifetime if cared for properly, and kept sharp. Do not, I repeat, do not use a carbide V scraper style sharpener on your good knives, They will destroy the edge and remove gobbs of metal each time you scrape the knives through them. Get them sharpened by someone that knows what they are doing, or invest in a good system and learn to sharpen them yourself, practicing on some cheap - O knives to learn how. It will be money well spent.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Here's my 2 cents. I would absolutely register for them then do an exchange. I would pick up a 2-3 of the Victorinox knives listed above plus throw in a few cheap but razor sharp Kiwi knives to test various styles of knives. Not to mention you can practice sharpening the Kiwis.

With my in store credit, I'd vote for a high end blender like a Vitamix. VERY versatile tool from making aioli to BBQ sauces to a healthy smoothie after a long weekend meat fest :cool:

All production knives, including Wusthofs, are much softer than a great quality custom knife. A production knife will be heat treated to around 56 Rockwells. a great quality knife will be treated to a minimum of 58 rockwells, sometimes running up as high as 62 rockwells.

that doesnt sound like a a big difference but in terms of performance they are worlds apart. a harder knife, is much much sharper, and will hold its edge much longer. the reason that production knives are softer is to make it easier for the masses to look after, they are easier to sharpen and less likely to lose a tip if you drop them.

if you are looking for a truly great quality knife then look for a custom knife maker in your area. (there are lots!) but expect to pay a lot more than a shop bought set. but as most people have pointed out you don't need a huge set of knives. get one or two great quality knives and look after them and you won't be sorry.

also whatever you buy get a good quality honing rod (also called a knife steel) which will keep a sharp edge performing well for longer, as it will straighten out the fine edge when it buckles slightly (just make sure the hone is sharper than the knife, so if the knife is 58 Rockwells make sure the hone can go up to 60 rockwells etc). and as has already been mentioned either get a few good sharpening stones or pay someone that knows what they are doing to sharpen it. Oh, and only use a wooden board or you'll ruin a good edge

You will fare better if you learn how to maintain the knives you have, than waste your time and money trying to find the perfect knives to buy. I have both cheap and expensive knives, and they all get dull. They all work beautifully, too, as long as I maintain them.

CD

My standard answer for what knife is......see what brand your butcher or meat cutter and a restaurant chef uses.

Great knives. I have Wusthof classics myself. I also happen to have a cheaper set of Wusthof steak knives that are stamped rather than forged (you can read online about the difference) - I bought mine separately from the block set. My theory was that I wanted great quality tools to use when I was cooking but that I didn't really care about what other people used at my table and was happy to save a few bucks on the cheaper steak knives. I don't regret buying the classics for kitchen use, but occasionally think perhaps I should have bought better steak knives. But I don't lose any sleep over it.

Global are a stainless steel of pretty average quality, and you can buy a Shun quality knife for half the price, or less.
If you look at Japanese quality knives, Fujiwara are incredible value, and Masamoto are heirloom tools too!
I prefer linear handles over oval, it feeds unconsciously exactly where the knife blade is at all times, but you won't know until you try.

LOL!! Don't beat me up! I was VERY simply explaining the options available at that store in a set that he can put on the registry.:laugh:

In a perfect world I would say to do what I've done and pick and choose the exact knives he wants over time. But, that wasn't what was asked for in the OP.

Btw, if I'm not the biggest fan of global. They feel so strange in my hand. However, in the price range are the MAC knives. There are blades that are better, but its tough to keep from reaching for my Mighty chef MTH-80.:wink:

We received the Shun 3 piece classic set as a wedding gift and I love it! It has a Chef's Knife, a 7"slicing knife and a paring/utility knife. I have since added to my collection. Global 8" veg knife and a Shun Reserve 10" hollow ground slicing knife.

Favorite is the Shun Reserve slicing knife because it means brisket is being smoked. But my go to knife on a day to day to day basis is the Shun Chef's knife.

While Japanese knives are great you have to realize they are not made for hacking and the bevel on the edge is different to so sharpening them can be challenging

I am very partial to global knives. They are beautifully balanced and very high quality Japanese steel.

Whatever knives you buy, invest in a high quality wet stone and learn how to use it and consider a diamond steel for everyday touch ups. This will keep you're edges razor sharp.

All production knives, including Wusthofs, are much softer than a great quality custom knife. A production knife will be heat treated to around 56 Rockwells. a great quality knife will be treated to a minimum of 58 rockwells, sometimes running up as high as 62 rockwells.

that doesnt sound like a a big difference but in terms of performance they are worlds apart. a harder knife, is much much sharper, and will hold its edge much longer. the reason that production knives are softer is to make it easier for the masses to look after, they are easier to sharpen and less likely to lose a tip if you drop them.

if you are looking for a truly great quality knife then look for a custom knife maker in your area. (there are lots!) but expect to pay a lot more than a shop bought set. but as most people have pointed out you don't need a huge set of knives. get one or two great quality knives and look after them and you won't be sorry.

also whatever you buy get a good quality honing rod (also called a knife steel) which will keep a sharp edge performing well for longer, as it will straighten out the fine edge when it buckles slightly (just make sure the hone is sharper than the knife, so if the knife is 58 Rockwells make sure the hone can go up to 60 rockwells etc). and as has already been mentioned either get a few good sharpening stones or pay someone that knows what they are doing to sharpen it. Oh, and only use a wooden board or you'll ruin a good edge

Okay, I am uncomfortable leaving this unaddressed while brethren read it and believe it.
Aikiyoda, you will get a large number of people supporting this view, it is a commonly believed myth, so lets look at it.

People hear a lot about how "hard" the knife steel is as a selling point. Rockwell hardness indicates toughness, and is not a good indicator of the important qualities of steel used in a knife
Crucial qualities are strength, toughness, creating an edge and holding that edge. These last two are the major factors.
All of the Japanese brands I named are superior to the German makers, including Wustoff, henckels/Zwillings and every other German knife maker.

If you compare to Shun and Global, Shun wins slightly on that, but Global wins on balance and beats Shun by a mile in usage, both lose to the Fujiwara and Masamoto.
All of them beat the European steels used in knives.
Shun loses because of the loss of function due to aesthetic design factors, the top line to point makes it far more difficult (comparitively)when slicing vegetables or even a bigger drawback when dicing whole onions down.

If going for Shun(which I just wouldn't), I would avoid the Classic line altogether.
They baffled me by using VG-10 steel in their 3 layer damascus blade but they used this exemplary steel in a cosmetic way only, yet it is the far superior knife steel out of the 3 used!!
Cannot fathom that, except it is proof they place form way over function.:doh:

You can order Japanese knives from Japan with a 7 day delivery and total safety, once you know what you want.

Buy a good combination stone, like others have suggested too!

HTH

I love hearing Bucc talk about knives. I love my knives, but his passion is greater than mine!

Could read your opinions on the subject all day. Thank you sir!

That's a fine knife set, particularly for the money, as long as you want 6 Wustoff steak knives. IMHO you want to stay in this quality range or higher, not lower, because good knives make a big difference in your cooking enjoyment and last forever.

If you would prefer another choice in steak knives, or if you would prefer to spend your money on a broader variety of kitchen knives rather than steak knives, then I would shop around for the best price on block knife sets without the steak knives and with more blade types if you are willing spend a little more - something like these:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-classic-7-piece-knife-block-set/
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-classic-9-piece-knife-block-set/
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...kels-professional-s-10-piece-knife-block-set/
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/zwilling-ja-henckels-four-star-ii-10-piece-knife-block-set/

We have had one of the Henkles sets above for decades and they have served very well with blades that are nick free and still hold a great edge. We also recently picked up an extensive set of Shun Kaji that are true works of art.

Frankly, the knife sets that are higher end than the better quality models for Wustof, Henkles and similar quality brands are really neat to look at and do hold a little finer edge, but you won't notice the difference in results day to day so they aren't worth the price unless you have cash to spare and you are gonzo about your knives.

Frankly, the knife sets that are higher end than the better quality models for Wustof, Henkles and similar quality brands are really neat to look at and do hold a little finer edge, but you won't notice the difference in results day to day so they aren't worth the price unless you have cash to spare and you are gonzo about your knives.

^^^:doh:

This statement shows that you are theorizing, and that you have never used one in your life.

It's like a guy who rode a mule getting a Ford Pinto and saying those Audi's are almost the same and just not worth the extra bucks.

Sorry, but it's true.
Nobody I know would drive the Audi and still hold the opinion that the Ford Pinto is similar in any way .

:becky:

Buccaneer probably scoffs at my little collection of Tosagata. :oops:

I haven't, but I may build a tower in the garden and call it my scoffing tower.
Just to scoff at your knives!:laugh:

Jokes aside, there are a LOT of great steels out there, more all the time, and from my brief exposure I liked the Dojo a little better but Tosagata are sweet too, if we are talking aogami san mai.

Good gawds no, my budget runs and hides when San mai is mentioned. I have the Tosa that is aogami blue steel hammer forged into high carbon iron. The very traditional knife of my people, the lower classes.

That is a lie, my people also used very high quality steel, but, I am po'

Oh, I happen to own a very old, smooth and very hard oil cured steel for working a knife edge, but, my preferred method for polishing and correcting my edge now, is to use a sheet of wet butcher paper, laid over my stone, and to strop with the paper.

Back