Questions for Shirley Vertical owners

NFLNative

Knows what a fatty is.
What options would you add if you could order it again? Is the unit top-heavy?
I have about a 5 inch lip/step that I will have to get over on rare occasions, do I need to get larger wheels or a bigger base built?
What is the deep clean process like? I usually cook in pans but will sometimes cook directly on the grate. Is there a drain valve?”
Lastly is there any downside to this unit? I have the money ready, the wife is on board and ready to pull the trigger. I just want to make sure I don’t end up with buyers remorse.

The vertical is a pretty simple cooker and I don't think there are as many options as compared to the reverse flow. You can get a stainless shelf and sausage hanging rods and can probably get more than one temp gauge in the door. I've seen them with two. A couple of options I chose on mine was a smooth metal side shelf instead of the standard expanded metal. I have the sausage hanging rods and the charcoal grate and ash pan for the cook chamber. I also have the ash pan for the firebox (recommended). The bottom of the cook chamber separating the firebox is 1/4" thick. I upgraded to 3/8". This cooker is top heavy and I absolutely would not recommend attempting to get it over a 5" lip without at least two strong helpers. I don't know the weight but it's very heavy and could be catastrophic if it feel over. One thing I think I might change is having it put on a cart with big wheels. It would be a bigger footprint and take up more space but it would make moving it easier. This should be your route if you have to contend with that 5" lip/step .It's not hard to move on casters but pneumatic tires would be much better. It does not have a drain valve. The bottom of the cook chamber gets so hot that drippings sizzle and burn off quickly. I put a sheet of wide HD foil in the bottom. Something with a lot of fat like butts or brisket I also cook in pans like you. As far as cleaning I just use an electric pressure washer on the cooking grates but not enough pressure to remove the seasoning, just blast away any grease or food particles. No cleaner of any kind just water. It's a bit different animal then the 24x48 Shirley I used to have (my avatar) but all in all I love my vertical.

Another thing I would recommend is if you go with the standard casters, ask if you can get them bolted on instead of welded. Mine are welded so if one ever needs to be replaced it's not going to be a quick fix. Hopefully that is never an issue but its still a thought.

Back