Question for Experienced Vortex Users

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
When I use the vortex in my kettle (I'm almost always using the vortex for wings), I fill the vortex full or nearly full of fully lit briquettes. I probably let the grill heat up for 3-5 minutes, then put the wings on.

The wings come out great, but I'm thinking I need to let the vortex sit a while longer before I start cooking. I say this as wings usually take about an hour to cook, and I know some of you are getting them done a lot quicker than that.

Last night, I decided to let the vortex sit for about 10 minutes longer before I started cooking, and the wings only took about 40 minutes.

Am I on the right track here?

You're on the right track.

Personal preference - I let mine sit (w/o the kettle lid) for a good 10-20 minutes until I can see flames out the top. Then, I put the lid on and go get the bird.

I routinely get dome thermo readings of 450-500... maybe pegged if I got distracted a bit before I put the lid on. It'll buff out.

Hope that's helpful!

When I use the vortex in my kettle (I'm almost always using the vortex for wings), I fill the vortex full or nearly full of fully lit briquettes. I probably let the grill heat up for 3-5 minutes, then put the wings on.

The wings come out great, but I'm thinking I need to let the vortex sit a while longer before I start cooking. I say this as wings usually take about an hour to cook, and I know some of you are getting them done a lot quicker than that.

Last night, I decided to let the vortex sit for about 10 minutes longer before I started cooking, and the wings only took about 40 minutes.

Am I on the right track here?

This is going to be against common logic, but I’ve found that I get to temp quicker and get hotter if I only fill medium vortex half full of hot coals (3/4 chimney).

I also crack the lid for full effect (900F+ I’ve measured at grate temp with infrared)

Here is how I light the vortex.

1/2-3/4 chimney of coals (KBB briquettes) lit using the gas assist on the performer.
Dump into medium vortex set up in my 26” kettle.
I leave all vents and lid open when I prepare wings (~10 min).
By then I have a roaring fire with flames coming out of vortex. If I want smoke on my wings, I’ll put chunk of wood on grate over vortex and set up wings on perimeter (bone towards heat)

With this set up I normally have wings at 180+ with super crispy skin in 35-40 min

a75c32498f2ab51552106ec0d8678a56.jpg

I'm usually looking for Mt. Vesuvius when I'm doing wings, or actually any kind of chix. I think wings are usually done within a half hour.

I won't think of putting 'em on under 300, and get really happy when I'm seeing 400+. Farking ecstatic around 500, esp. for wings.

I'll either light chimneys and fill the vortex with lit, or I'll throw a couple lighter cubes under the vortex full of unlit & light up. Haven't settled on which method of lighting I like better. A roaring vortex is a beautiful thang, except for when you're not paying attention and reach across it. :shocked:

Thanks for the replies, Marc and John.

I have noticed that towards the end of a vortex cook, even though the coals have burned down a bit, they are nearly white hot and generating a LOT more heat than when I started cooking.

Based on my last cook and what you both are saying, it seems to take a while for the vortex to really crank out really hot temps.

I may try using a bit less fuel next time and let it sit even longer with the lid open before I start cooking, maybe a good 20 minutes. I'll keep you posted!

What Size Vortex?

I’m seriously getting one of these for my 22” kettle but not sure what size? The charts say the medium but could the small take care of business? I like the added grill space with the small. Also, I’ve found that all my chicken cooks need to be hot and have never gone more than an hour for crispy skin. Wings should be done in no more than 45 minutes?

I use a full vortex of lump charcoal and a wax cube. I just partially bury the wax cube in the center and it gets going pretty quick. I leave the lid off and about 20-25mins it's blazing. It's almost always in the 450-500 range on the lid thermometer. 35-40 mins for wings sounds right but I've never actually timed it.

I guess I like lots of fire! For wings I use three or four Weber starter cubes buried in a full Vortex of Lump. I let it go 15 to 20 minutes until it is screaming hot, then put the lid on for another five minutes to calm things down before adding the wings. Much better results for me on the 26" using lump vs. briquettes.

Good discussion, I never do the same thing twice but leaving the lid off for a bit does produce higher temps. I usually run lump get 400+ temps and cook for 40-50 minutes, nice and crispy :-D

I put a small base of charcoal in the vortex, making sure to "push" them to the outside edge. Then I do pretty much what the others have said here - fill 'er up from a well-lit chimney. I let it heat up until it's at least 375 before I put the yard-bird flappers in. I shoot 425. Then I usually look for a beer...

Interesting discussion. I am fairly new to the vortex, 4-5 wing cooks. I have tried with chimney lit coals, and just torch lit.
I don’t see any difference, just to make sure to get good and hot, lid 450-500.
It seems I do best when going 50-60 mins. The best yet was marinated in buttermilk for about 6 hours.

I like it as hot as I can get the grill. I like lump much better and I get it going with my su v gun and like to have the therm at 450-500. I get much better results that way than at 375-400 with briquettes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wsm 22"

Hi All Would the Vortex work in a WSM 22"
if the grate/grill is on the bottom bowl?
Thanks Dan

I’m seriously getting one of these for my 22” kettle but not sure what size? The charts say the medium but could the small take care of business? I like the added grill space with the small. Also, I’ve found that all my chicken cooks need to be hot and have never gone more than an hour for crispy skin. Wings should be done in no more than 45 minutes?

I have the medium for my 22 and it works great. I would love to try a small...as you would gain quite a bit of grill space. With the medium..its a fairly tight fit for 12 jumbo wings cut in to 24 pieces.

Back