Heat From Vortex Too High For Honey Based Marinade?

kc27

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Ken
I have grilled wings with the marinade below. I marinate the wings anywhere from 2 to 24 hours, then grill them, and also coat with a separate batch of the same marinade before pulling from the grill. It is always a challenge to keep the wings from burning due to the honey. I recently got a Vortex and have used it with wings prepped with various rubs. What about this recipe? Is the heat from the Vortex too much for the honey in this marinade?

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1 .7 ounce envelope Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
1 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce

I agree that it's too hot for honey. The first time I used my Vortex I marinated wings in a raspberry honey mix and they burned fast. I use dry rub only with no or little sugar.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I don't even put my rub on until the end on the vortex. Spices burn too. I'll put the sweet sauce on and throw them back for a few minutes to crisp up. But gotta watch carefully.

I don't even put my rub on until the end on the vortex. Spices burn too. I'll put the sweet sauce on and throw them back for a few minutes to crisp up. But gotta watch carefully.

Unless you use a wing rub formulated for high heat. Then you can cook at 600F+ with no burning.

[emoji38]

913cc262957af16fd0cd8d448afb1aa3.jpg

I marinade in Louisiana Wing Sauce and use no rub.
It has sugar in it, but I get no burning using the vortex.

Something to consider.

If you know what temp your marinated wings cook at without burning, then dial in the vortex to that temp and cook away.

Most folks don't consider that they still have control over temps even with the vortex.

The honey based marinade wing recipe is messy to prepare and cook, so I usually go with a rub instead. But thanks for the ideas. For the honey based marinade wings that some in the family really like, I will stick with coals piled on one side of a 22" Weber and also try experimenting with adjusting the grill temp
when the Vortex is used.

Here is a related follow-up question. Is.a.dust that you apply after cooking essentially a rub that has been ground to a powder?

You have pretty good luck getting the rub to adhere to wings that are close to being fully cooked?

I have grilled wings with the marinade below. I marinate the wings anywhere from 2 to 24 hours, then grill them, and also coat with a separate batch of the same marinade before pulling from the grill. It is always a challenge to keep the wings from burning due to the honey. I recently got a Vortex and have used it with wings prepped with various rubs. What about this recipe? Is the heat from the Vortex too much for the honey in this marinade?

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1 .7 ounce envelope Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
1 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce

I Vortex wings very regularly. The Vortex gets HOT and will burn rubs and marinades. Treat your marinade like a sauce. Warm it up a bit on the stove. Cook the wings plain. When they're done, mix the wings with warmed sauce in a pan and let them sit for a bit covered. Then enjoy. :-D

No burn, no fuss, and you get the real flavor of the sauce.

Back