THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Well I have been running a catering business and going on our 4th year now and I cook on a Lang 84. We are getting ready to be in a storm that due to my situation is practically unavoidable that I will have to cook for a catering event on a night that this week that we are going to get somewhere from 14-22 inches of snow.

My question - If I shield my Lang with a canopy have any of you cooked in these conditions of snowing 15+ inches of coming down with a Lang 84 and were there any problems holding temps?

Due to several issues I will not be able to pre cook or at least I would be pre cooking in the beginning of the storm on Wednesday and would have to early morning hours before the event and that would take a couple hours so if I can reheat in it I can cook in it is my thoughts.

I don't own a lang, but you mean to tell me that they are gonna hold a catered event in 2 feet of snow? Must be a ski resort! Around here everything would be shut down:D
sent via pony express

I'm contracted to cater for a university staff meeting Thursday at noon. It is a drop off so I do not have to set up but unless they cancel I will plan to cook. I will make every effort to pull it off but I do have a "severe inclement weather clause" in my contract, but I have never had to use it and would just assume not this week if ya know what I mean.

On Febuary 2nd I cooked for a party on my Lang 60 when I lit it that morning at 3:00 am it was -12 F. I put it under a pop up with sides attached to keep the wind off of it. The cook went great. It will hold the temps, you will burn more wood though.

Strapped 2 canopies over the Lang with 4 sides panels facing the headwind.
Eliminated wind problems and kept ambient temp under the canopies @ 80* while the current temp was in the 20's-30's.

That should eliminate any possible accumulation... just make sure to tie down those canopies well!
After cooking - kept her purring @ 180* for holding with all intakes closed.

[Photo from Operation BBQ Relief response from Superstorm Sandy - Nov. 2012]
SSPX0275.jpg

Last edited:
I cook in 16 degree weather with snow all the time no problem except when i add wood i ream out grease drain with coat hanger seems grease likes to harden in pipe ....also hold temp nice you use a little mor wood but no problem

Back