Question Bout Masterbuilt 30" electric smokers from walmart.

I mainly use my MES 40' for cold smoking with the A-maze-n tray and for jerky at low temps. I believe mine goes from 135-275°. I have a buddy with the 30' and I'm very glad I spent the extra for the larger one. If you can wait, a lot of places run Black Friday deals on them. I got mine at Bass Pro a few years ago for $250 plus a $50 gift card. Used the $50 for jerky/sausage seasonings and sausage casings.

As far as models, I have the one with the exhaust on the top left side and controls in the front. I think that's the one people say stay away from. I purchased it before I started using this forum and didn't know any better, but I've never had a problem. Knock on wood.

Btw, I do use it for hot smoking on occasion. It is nice to have when its really cold here in KC and I don't want to mess with lighting any charcoal and wood up.

well my next question would be.....

Can you change the controls and heating element with ease on the 30" or the 40"? I would hate for it to burn out and not be able to change it out

Also... I'm going to sam's club today! if I walk into sam's club today and I see this https://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Will I regret purchasing it? going by the model and everything.

Last edited:
I looked at the heating element on my model after people saying it might have problems (which I haven't yet). It looks very easy to change if needed.

You will only ask why you didn't get one sooner....��. No one will fault you for having more than one smoker...especially when they are snacking on smoked sausages!

well my next question would be.....

Can you change the controls and heating element with ease on the 30" or the 40"? I would hate for it to burn out and not be able to change it out

My controller quit (my own fault - uncovered over two winters and the plastic came off the panel, water got down into the controls, and it still partially worked but looked like hell too. Got a new controller for $30 and good as new.

I know right?!!!! I thought man this is perfect to go with my sausage stuffer. Now I have another guy that has me almost talked into spending more for a 40" LOL..... Not sure which route I would go.. Honestly for what I think a 30" would be perfect... But the whole argument on regretting the smaller space later is pushing me towards wanting a 40"

I wonder if the 30 will hold temps better?

I wonder if the 30 will hold temps better?

I'm not sure bill! I was just at Cabela's today to look at their selection. They had Different versions of the Masterbuilt smokers than what I was looking at. None of them had windows and it cost more money there. These were called "sportsman elites"

But I did look at the comparison of the 30" and 40" that they did have assuming it is roughly the same as your normal masterbuilt smokers. Hand's down I would of regretted my purchase of the 30".. even at the cheap price. I fell in love with their 40". but it was $450....

So now my question now is can someone provide me with links to the cheapest but best version of the 40" smoker. I guess I'm going to treat myself to an early birthday gift. I want to make sure I get the right model that provides replacement parts.

I don't want it to go out in a year or so and can't replace the element or controls. I hear some of them you have to place the whole interior to replace the element. The sportsman elites at cabela's look like the heating element is pop-riveted into the smoker its self.

Look at Walmart or Amazon look for master built 30 generation one it has no window the controller is in the back and the vent is on the top right hand corner it has a bigger chip tray than the newer ones last time I got on line and looked at Walmart they were about 159 dollars if you look at all the reviews the generation one is the best i had one for about 3 years before the heating element went out I just never got it fixed but pretty good smoker for the price

Look at Walmart or Amazon look for master built 30 generation one it has no window the controller is in the back and the vent is on the top right hand corner it has a bigger chip tray than the newer ones last time I got on line and looked at Walmart they were about 159 dollars if you look at all the reviews the generation one is the best i had one for about 3 years before the heating element went out I just never got it fixed but pretty good smoker for the price

I would be excited about it. but honestly I'm no longer interested in the 30"....

Alright guys.......

Here's my question.. Are the masterbuilt 30" electric smokers any good from walmart? I understand It's not the best in the world. But my purpose for this would be to doing the low 150-175 temp cooking for jerky,snack sticks,summer sausages.

The electric smokers are not the best in the world for drying meats. The sealed up environment doesn't let the moisture escape. If you use one for doing this, it's wise to open the door occasionally so the moisture can escape.... just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

The electric smokers are not the best in the world for drying meats. The sealed up environment doesn't let the moisture escape. If you use one for doing this, it's wise to open the door occasionally so the moisture can escape.... just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Hey I would rather open a door every so often than having to maintain a tiny fire in the back corner of my firebox and having to split my splits into very tiny pieces!! Well speaking about low temp cooking like I want to use it for.

But with that in mind... How long do you leave the door open? Open it for a minute or two and shut it? or several minutes?

I mainly use my MES40 for sausage (with the a-maze-n tray) and for holding brisket. I use dowels for hangers

I mainly use my MES40 for sausage (with the a-maze-n tray) and for holding brisket. I use dowels for hangers

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm using it for. Sausages, snack sticks, jerky.... I am interested in getting the cold smoking adapter for it though.. I wonder if the cold smoking adapter will work with pellets or if you gotta use wood chips

I have had my 40" for 7-8 years and it has been great,no need to open a door as it has a vent at the top,might as well throw the food out on the deck if your going to run it with the door open imo, Folks posting this own 1 and know how to run it?

Alright. I'm gonna post this in both of my MES40 threads in hope I can get help this morning!!!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuil...r-Common-40-472-in-Actual-40-472-in/999977666

found this at lowes... What is the difference between this version and any other version of the MES40???? From my research the only thing I found was that it is a special edition just for lowes....

But everything else about it is identical to any other MES40.... Is this right??? Because if so... At that price it says there's two available at one of the lowes an hour away! I'll go pick it up today if there is no differences and its worth this price .

Back