Question about using PBC with wood

Okay, the new guy again. So, I thought:

PBC = Pit Barrel Cooker = UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker

I guess if a PBC is more versatile than a UDS, I am wrong. So, what is the difference?

JBP

PBC = Pit Barrel Cooker, yes. Based on the UDS yes but not a UDS as far as what most folks would refer to as a UDS......

Versitle. .....I'm beginning to hate that word. I think the versatility of a cooker really depends on how creative the cook is. But in all honesty I belive they are equally versitle cookers.....

Aclarke is right. I hang and grate cook alot so my 2 cents are this. Lots of things i want to grate cook and I wouldn't have room to do as much as I want sometimes in my PBC sized cooker so I have to use my UDS. Other times I'm doing stuff i want to hang and my UDS would use too much fuel so i use the smaller cooker for hanging. Then there are the times i want to grate cook and hang at the same time and i can do that on either.

Bottom line is you can never go wrong having different sized cookers so maybe get one or the other right now and later add the other kind.

Are you half way handy to drill holes? Look at my jimmy build it's a great cooker and is a grill also...plus i can grate cook and hang at the same time so that's an idea. Cooks from 200* to well over 600* with very good temp control and retains heat like a champ. If you need to manage your fire just simply lift the pot and replace it to refuel.

I'm hanging 4 9lb butts in this next Saturday...expect a 6 hour cook.

These PBC threads got me chuckling while riding my Trek. I had a neighbor and we were pretty much on same schedule buying new vehicles. I always went straight by book as far as maintenance but he couldn't wait to change brake pads, high powered headlights, go to a different oil, bigger wheels, maybe a computer chip- engine/ fuel additives etc. I just rocked along doing what the manufacturer recommended. Not modifying anything. I swear within 18 months he was having issues I never dreamed of.
He is an awesome guy, but he is a hands on tinkerer who will dismantle a house with a Phillips screwdriver.

Some of those here are similar to my neighbor. Nothing wrong with that at all. Pretty cool actually (I wish PBC made a chrome bling kit).

And by the way- I was pretty proud of my rainbow quip earlier- nothing. Tough crowd :)

Back