Question about using PBC with wood

This is where I go hang out with Adams and have a drink. Buy a PBC, you won't regret it......

PS: in the event your sarcasm/comedy meter is off, Adams was being sarcastic in his comments about the PBC. :becky:

I'm out!

Edit: go back to post #4 and click the link at the bottom of the page....

I'll join y'all for the drink! Oh but make a jimmy ;) I'm out too! lol

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173767

Seriously. You'll like it. Enjoy the smokey grilled flavor of the PBC with or without additional wood.

Advice??? Follow the PBC website's video instructions first couple of cooks. Get it down and know your cooker. Then experiment with different coals, lighting methods, wood- modifications etc.

If a PBC will /can handle everything you want to cook. Buy one! I'm sure you will love it. If you like to make/build stuff, a UDS will/can handle more food due to the size difference and coal basket size for the longer smoking times. I have not run out of modifications I have planned for my UDS's. I agree, for a smokier flavor profile, you will want to add wood. The more wood mixed in, the smokey flavor. Weither hanging or on the grate or rotisserie. Hanging meat does work. A different flavor than laying on a grate. As you can tell, most guys are very adamat about their cookers. No one cooker does it all, but I'm striving to get there with my UDS's. From 160 degs to 750+ degs I can cook right now. Trying to fit that full hog in there is a tough one. :becky:

I think the PBC/electronics reference was tongue-in-cheek. No buttons on a PBC. As for the smoke thing, I run mine purely with charcoal briquettes but I will drop a small chunk of wood on the coals every now and then.

No different than any other UDS whether a 55 gallon or 85 gallon. The folks at chicken in a barrel in Hawaii (the original barrel hangers) will tell you that. They've been doing it with big cookers for a long long time. My little Jimmy or my 55 gallon turn out the same food hanging but the jimmy is smaller and more efficient.

I guarantee you ebijacks 55 gallon drum hanging meats will turn out identical food so the scientific mumbo jumbo is just that.

The statement I highlighted in bold text above is not true. Noah grew up with the owner of the Chicken in the Barrel and they both were introduced to hanging/barrel cooking when they were kids. In the town they grew up in this type of cooking was a decades old tradition loved by many. And of course no one really knows who the very first person was to hang food in a barrel.

The statement I highlighted in bold text above is not true. Noah grew up with the owner of the Chicken in the Barrel and they both were introduced to hanging/barrel cooking when they were kids. In the town they grew up in this type of cooking was a decades old tradition loved by many. And of course no one really knows who the very first person was to hang food in a barrel.

Bob yes their family and probably their parents parents were barrel hanging. Yes I'm sure people were doing long before that too.lol The point is they have been doing it for a long a** time and use big barrels. Chicken in a barrel first commercialized it.

Not long ago you said Noah invented it until I said he had to have gotten it from chicken in the barrel people right? You called Noah or he called you and he gave you the scoop. Before that you thought it was something he came up with in Afganistan

Bob yes their family and probably their parents parents were barrel hanging. Yes I'm sure people were doing long before that too.lol The point is they have been doing it for a long a** time and use big barrels. Chicken in a barrel first commercialized it.

Not long ago you said Noah invented it until I said he had to have gotten it from chicken in the barrel people right? You called Noah or he called you and he gave you the scoop. Before that you thought it was something he came up with in Afganistan

Actually that was what I said I had read......But I was just going off of an article I read on the Internet. Obviously the writer confused what he was told in his interview. Supposedly they did use barrels to hang meat when deployed.

Actually that was what I said I had read......But I was just going off of an article I read on the Internet. Obviously the writer confused what he was told in his interview. Supposedly they did use barrels to hang meat when deployed.
Yes you did Andrew....just after that Bob was upset that i said Noah got the idea from the Chicken in barrel folks until he found out that that was true.

Boy did this thread take left turn! ....Ok back on track, but i think the OP has a good idea on the use of wood chunks in the cooker now.

Yes you did Andrew....just after that Bob was upset that i said Noah got the idea from the Chicken in barrel folks until he found out that that was true.

Boy did this thread take left turn! ....Ok back on track, but i think the OP has a good idea on the use of wood chunks in the cooker now.
More false information. Noah did not get the idea from Chicken in a barrel. They both learned it growing up. When it comes to PBC threads and left turns, you are Carl Edwards.

Come on gents - I don't think it really matters, does it? I'm not interested in the history of this stuff, I just want to cook (and eat) great meat!

So to sum up, it seems that a PBC may not have as much smoke flavor, due to the fact there is not a true exhaust at the top, and doesn't have as much convection as a WSM or traditional UDS. However, this means that there are less variables, and is more of a set it and forget it type cooker. And it does seem that people still can get a smokey flavor by adding wood chunks to the charcoal basket.

Do I have it right? I still am not sure what I'm going to do! I may have found a good source for 55 gallon drums on Craigslist, and if I bought one of those, along with a Big Poppa kit, it's around the same price as the PBC (not including my time in assembling of course)

I like the fact that the PBC is 30 gallons though. I usually don't cook enough to take advantage of a full 55 gallon drum I think and it seems like a waste of charcoal.

Come on gents - I don't think it really matters, does it? I'm not interested in the history of this stuff, I just want to cook (and eat) great meat!

So to sum up, it seems that a PBC may not have as much smoke flavor, due to the fact there is not a true exhaust at the top, and doesn't have as much convection as a WSM or traditional UDS. However, this means that there are less variables, and is more of a set it and forget it type cooker. And it does seem that people still can get a smokey flavor by adding wood chunks to the charcoal basket.

Do I have it right? I still am not sure what I'm going to do! I may have found a good source for 55 gallon drums on Craigslist, and if I bought one of those, along with a Big Poppa kit, it's around the same price as the PBC (not including my time in assembling of course)

I like the fact that the PBC is 30 gallons though. I usually don't cook enough to take advantage of a full 55 gallon drum I think and it seems like a waste of charcoal.

Sorry about the noise. I try to refrain from responding when people who do not own a PBC start posting nonsense, but sometimes I can't help myself. I am sure you will love the PBC or the Big Poppa Kit. Good luck whatever you decide.

Bob who is the first person that told you he got the idea from chicken in a barrel "family"? Me

Yes i know the uncle started the restaurant later.....that aside. Who didn't believe it and who was right? Me :laugh: It's ok Bobbie...we all make mistakes!

I did like the Carl Edwards thing...you are a clever one! Love ya Bob :hug:

Sorry hominamad, yes both are good cookers. The BP is a great grill/sear machine too. It cooks good indirect at grill level too for smaller cooks. I'll find pics for you. Kit is 140 so you shouldn't have more than 200 in one.

So to sum up, it seems that a PBC may not have as much smoke flavor, due to the fact there is not a true exhaust at the top, and doesn't have as much convection as a WSM or traditional UDS.However, this means that there are less variables, and is more of a set it and forget it type cooker. And it does seem that people still can get a smokey flavor by adding wood chunks to the charcoal basket.

The part bolded I would disagree with. You can get as much or more smoke than you want. Just add wood. No different than any other cooker. There is plenty of exhaust for smoking Temps and if you want to get a higher temp you just remove a rod or both or crack the lid sightly......simple. As far as convection there is an article I believe on amazingribs.com that talks about the PBC size (30 gallon) creates more convection than the 55 gallon size along with hanging the meat which helps cooks faster and evenly. I will let all the rocket scientists here debate what is written in the article but again my food will cook faster and very even in the PBC.

I will agree that if you don't need the 55 gallon size yes you will use more coal to get the same heat just due to the extra space you are hearing up. How much do you need for cooking? A PBC can cook 8 racks of ribs at once, probably 3-4 butts at once, 2 briskets (although I believe Adams said he cooked 3 once), 4-6 whole chickens at once and numerous combinations those foods mentioned. If you need more space than that get a UDS.

Unlike some on here I will NOT knock another cooker especially if I haven't cooked on it. A UDS I'm sure is a great cooker. Ive seen lots of great looking food cooked on them from posts here in the forum. You just need to decide how much space you need and how much effort you wanna put into building something. How much money you wanna spend, and whether you want ALL new parts or not. They are both barrel style cookers.....

The part bolded I would disagree with. You can get as much or more smoke than you want. Just add wood. No different than any other cooker. There is plenty of exhaust for smoking Temps and if you want to get a higher temp you just remove a rod or both or crack the lid sightly......simple. As far as convection there is an article I believe on amazingribs.com that talks about the PBC size (30 gallon) creates more convection than the 55 gallon size along with hanging the meat which helps cooks faster and evenly. I will let all the rocket scientists here debate what is written in the article but again my food will cook faster and very even in the PBC.

I will agree that if you don't need the 55 gallon size yes you will use more coal to get the same heat just due to the extra space you are hearing up. How much do you need for cooking? A PBC can cook 8 racks of ribs at once, probably 3-4 butts at once, 2 briskets (although I believe Adams said he cooked 3 once), 4-6 whole chickens at once and numerous combinations those foods mentioned. If you need more space than that get a UDS.

Unlike some on here I will NOT knock another cooker especially if I haven't cooked on it. A UDS I'm sure is a great cooker. I've seen lots of great looking food cooked on them from posts here in the forum. You just need to decide how much space you need and how much effort you wanna put into building something. How much money you wanna spend, and whether you want ALL new parts or not. They are both barrel style cookers.....

Good post. Pretty much sums it up.

My biggest cook on PBC ( best I remember)
12# full packer brisket, Two whole chickens, Three racks baby back ribs. At the end I added two muffin tins of green chile cheese meatloaf cupcakes.

This was on one basket of coals. Most likely my standard 75% briq 25% lump with a tall boy amount of smoking chunks.

I light my PBC with Royal Oak lighter fluid. I let it burn 20-30" before adding meat.
I don't reuse briquettes, therefore I dump the ashes and reload fresh fuel each time. I do reuse lump (shaken and stirred) in my ceramics.

Back