THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
At the drop of a hat I decided yesterday to cook some lamb, pulled lamb shoulder. I left it a bit late in the day so only cooked for 5 hours and therefore bumped up the temp to 300-325, no water in the WSM. This produced marvellous pulled lamb, really terrific, but the meat around the top ribs only got to 190F (the rest got to 205F) so I think 6 hours would have been better. Actually, I would prefer at 275 and do longer, as there was quite a bit of fat in the shoulder still at the end of the cook. The shoulder was a bit butchered, not a true shoulder, not enough neck etc - but good enough for this job.

I cooked over lump only, no wood chips, as I like an extremely mild smoke on lamb. Still got a nice smoke ring, but without the heavy, gamey, preserved taste that I think comes with even moderately smoked lamb.

This was the first time I had injected lamb and I found that with a sweet injection, the resulting taste was very similar to pork shoulder. This showed me again the contribution that injections/rubs/smoke has to the final flavouring.

Prep was straight out of the packaging, injected, rubbed and into the WSM. Injected with 50% diluted prune juice and Korean Bulgogi mix. Rub was a bit of Char Siu followed by a light Plowboys Bovine Bold. I put on a rack over a close-fitting pan that had water, juice and garlic, ginger, lemon grass and a bit of rosemary. Uncovered.

300-325 for 5 hours.. this probed 205 and completely liquid for the shoulder portion - the ribs portion was still at 185-190. The troops were then getting restless, so I took it off, pulled off the top section and served that pulled, then put the rest back on for another 1.5 hours before cooling and putting into the fridge overnight.

The pulled lamb was absolutely tops. Criticisms were that it was a bit sweet,, and a bit too fatty, but otherwise sensational. Visitors said best ever, and they are lamb experts. Served without sauce (though could have made a great gravy I feel), with fresh corn and a green salad. Pretty good stuff.

Next time around will drop the proportion of sugar by 50% (or remove entirely) and will cook at a lower temp to give more time for the fat to render. I am thinking 275 for 8 hours may be a better guide next time. Also, I'd like to try a hogget or even mutton, I'd like less fat to start with. I did ask for these, but they are now special order, even in NZ! When we first came over here 30 years ago, a side of lamb (1/2 lamb) was $20, a hogget was $15 and mutton was $10 a side.

So, for all you northern hemisphere 'quers, while you were watching the National Championship (which we also saw here), the day was an absolute cracker down in the South Pacific, in the low 80's, gentle breeze - luxury!

Attachments

• image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 351
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 349
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 350
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 349
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 351
Hi Ralph,

That looks fantastic. Pulled lamb shoulder is absolutely delicious! In Melbourne here, the BBQ scene is really taking off and most places now do a pulled lamb shoulder. Shame that lamb is so pricey in the USA, but still, when it's pulled, it goes a long way!

Here's your Tick!
ALFTickofApproval_zps2bd9a805.gif

Well done!

Bill

Hi Ralph,

That looks fantastic. Pulled lamb shoulder is absolutely delicious! In Melbourne here, the BBQ scene is really taking off and most places now do a pulled lamb shoulder. Shame that lamb is so pricey in the USA, but still, when it's pulled, it goes a long way!

Here's your Tick!

Well done!

Bill

Thanks Bill... I knew the deliberate inclusion of the stubbie of VB would mesmerically attract a Mexican. An ex-Sydneysider doesn't often get a compliment from a Melbournian! :laugh: I see you have the festival in a week or so. Lamb has a growing presence in the US. I am just back from the US, spending two weeks in Philadelphia. In their main city market - the Reading Terminal Market - there is a shop that just sells lamb. I bought a rolled boneless leg, unrolled it, and smoked with lump, apple wood then reverse seared on a Smokey Joe for Christmas Day in the Philly suburbs.

The message(s) is getting out there into lots of dark corners.

Thanks Bill... I knew the deliberate inclusion of the stubbie of VB would mesmerically attract a Mexican.

Hi Ralph, It attracted me, but not in the way you think. I never forgave them for taking the Alc Vol to 4.6%. I never bought VB again. When they returned it to 4.9% and even said "sorry" to the Australian public, I had developed a liking for so many other beers that I just could not go back to VB. You might not be aware that they did the same thing to Melbourne Bitter which I like a bit better than VB. They still have not corrected that mistake. In my book, CUB can go fark themselves royally.

You might know they've just tried to revive the Fosters brand name in Australia. You'd think that they would make this a premium, flagship lager. Nope. 4.0% swill. In this day and age, with microbreweries popping up everywhere, they reintriduce their most iconic brand name world wide... as dishwater.:doh:

Rant off...

CHeers!

Bill

Hi Ralph, It attracted me, but not in the way you think. I never forgave them for taking the Alc Vol to 4.6%. I never bought VB again. When they returned it to 4.9% and even said "sorry" to the Australian public, I had developed a liking for so many other beers that I just could not go back to VB. You might not be aware that they did the same thing to Melbourne Bitter which I like a bit better than VB. They still have not corrected that mistake. In my book, CUB can go fark themselves royally.

You might know they've just tried to revive the Fosters brand name in Australia. You'd think that they would make this a premium, flagship lager. Nope. 4.0% swill. In this day and age, with microbreweries popping up everywhere, they reintriduce their most iconic brand name world wide... as dishwater.:doh:

Rant off...

CHeers!

Bill

Their general inability to properly understand the market, shows that their position as dominant supplier is the result purely of historical good fortune, and not the consequence of any wise or insightful understanding of their customers.

Hey Ralph,

Thanks for sharing, I've been looking everywhere for some info on pulled lamb so thank you for posting this.

With the injection what is the recipe you think would work best?

A Greek friend I work with swears by Rosemary, garlic and olive oil as the rub when he roasts lamb.

My wife always has mint jelly on the side to eat with the lamb once it's cooked.

I did think it was strange that you had a VB in the pic seeing as you should have had a Monteith's or something haha. I personally only drink VB when I'm in my dads shed :)

pulled lamb is my next cook up for sure now!!

Hey Ralph,

Thanks for sharing, I've been looking everywhere for some info on pulled lamb so thank you for posting this.

With the injection what is the recipe you think would work best?

A Greek friend I work with swears by Rosemary, garlic and olive oil as the rub when he roasts lamb.

My wife always has mint jelly on the side to eat with the lamb once it's cooked.

I did think it was strange that you had a VB in the pic seeing as you should have had a Monteith's or something haha. I personally only drink VB when I'm in my dads shed :)

pulled lamb is my next cook up for sure now!!

Thanks Troy

Information on pulled lamb is readily available on either of the main Australian BBQ sites. You will also find there both Titch and Buccs, who are also on this site, and who are amongst our best, most innovative BBQ cooks, in either country.

The description you have of a lamb roast done with rosemary, garlic and olive oil is very close to the traditional Sunday lamb roast we grew up with across Australia and NZ, especially in more recent times. I see the smoker cook as different to a roast - the smoke adds a whole other dimension, and the long, 'slow' cook does different things. For me, lamb is like chicken, in that I have to be very careful what I put on it as it really affects the flavours, more so than pork and much more than beef.

Mint is used to add either the 'sweet' which enhances lambs natural sweetness, or adds 'sharp' which counters that very sweetness. One of the best butterflied, smoked and reversed seared lamb legs I have done involved red wine vinegar.

In this cook the idea was to enhance the sweet - I just went a bit far I think, because the injection was sweet and the char siu which I rubbed on the outside was also sweet. I think you could try an injection of prune juice and the bulgogi (or prune juice alone) watered down 50%. You could alternatively use apricot juice watered down 50% - if you have ever had middle eastern cooking they have discovered that stone fruits, especially apricots, go well with lamb. I injected about a cup of liquid in total to this shoulder. Lamb needs a delicate touch I think.

The other aspect is the smoke - I got enough smoke off the lump charcoal alone to get a solid smoke ring and to give that hint of smoke. This suited me perfectly, but definitely the less you use the more 'roasted' the result will be.

The VB stubbie was my SIL's. We are transplanted Aussies, living the good life in Auckland, so are allowed the occasional 'slip'. As an ex-Toohey's drinker (from Sydney), seeing a CUB product on my table can be a bit galling, but I have become more accepting in my old pharking age.

Back