Primo: Same Quality?

Cueford T. Justice

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
Greetings brethren. I read that the founder sold to Empire Comfort Systems in 2019. Does anyone have any feedback on whether the quality has been impacted, as sometimes happens when a founder sells out to larger company?

Backdrop: I'm designing a permanent outdoor grill section on the new deck and am thinking about moving from an Egg to the oval shape of the primo. Love the Egg, but it's 20+ years old and I want to try the oval. I read all the threads I could here about Primos and most everyone seems pleased with their cooker. I didn't see any more recent threads so wanted to know if the same quality is still there. Thanks for any thoughts!

Looking at Primo Ceramic Grill Facebook page it may be better. I've only had dealings one time with new company. Warranty on the internal firebox. The new owners were in process of moving to new corporate headquarters so it took about 3 weeks to arrive. But arrive it did. Most of my family were/are Big Green Egg fanboys. As well Every one of them said they wished BGE made an oval. Their BGEs lost a lot of cook time when they all went top of line Traeger. Their eggs are poolside art. I'm not sure on Primo warranty as I've only used it that one time. I'm really glad I have the Oval XL.
Sorry I couldn't help with comparison but new company honored the warranty in an acceptable manor.

The new Primo owners backed the warranty when my Oval XL broke off its lower rim (which holds the support metal band). I love my Primo and use an old Party Q controller to manage temps. That said I don't trust it not to break again and plan to move on when next it breaks - and I am sure it will. Right now I am trying to decide whether I want to include space for it in my outdoor kitchen.

I have never had one Everyone who has posted a cook using one seem to really like theirs. I will continue with my Egg- I like that

When I was researching Primos, gheesh, has it been 15 years already, we didn't see much difference between their quality and that of the BGE. We went with the Primo because of the shape and at the time the higher lid as my wife wanted a bread oven. I believe the BGE increased their height since then. The oval shape is very convenient as I can set up indirect heat on one half and direct heat on the other with the split diffuser and different level grates, so I can smoke a roast on one side, then take it off and rest it while I increase the heat and do a sear on the other side.

Back