Help - Buying a 250 Gallon Offset

Cheesehead_Smoker

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Cheesehead_Smoker
I'm considering selling my Shirley 24x48 Direct Flow Offset and upgrading to a 250 Gallon. I live in Wisconsin so I am concerned about getting a thicker metal for heat retention during cold months. I had my Shirley built on a trailer and I will do the same for the new 250. Price isn't much of a concern. I do not plan to do any catering or commercial cooking. I just want a bit more space so I can cook for charity events, school functions, etc. The tough part is my Shirley has set the bar high regarding my expectations for build quality and materials. Some pit builders I've look into have some sloppy welds. I expect more from a $1oK+ pit.

After some research, I'm debating between the following pits:

M&M - Little info available regarding their 250 gallon smokers. I spoke to them and they have only made 4 or 5 so far. I'm a fan for their "look" and the different baffle system. I just wish I could get some more info. My one concern is the longevity of the casted firebrick in the firebox. Also, the 12 month lead time is a bit of a bummer.

Primitive Pits 250 - I like the semi-insulated firebox option. Can't argue with their reputation. Build quality is top notch from what I've read. Short lead time is a plus.

Moberg - What more do I need to say? Sunny seems like a nice guy. I've spoke to him over the phone a few times regarding options, pricing, etc. Seems to be a good value. His wait time is only 6-8 months so that is a plus.

Please provide your feedback. If I've overlooked some other good options please share them. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
Feel free to stop by Cattle Call and introduce yourself. :grin:

I was eyeing at a Primitive Pits 500 gallon there for a little while - I found the price, features, and quality combination pretty attractive.

Posting for a friend, "Nobody upgrades from a Shirley".
Wait time may be a problem, but why not contact Shirley for a lager build?

Posting for a friend, "Nobody upgrades from a Shirley".
Wait time may be a problem, but why not contact Shirley for a lager build?

True that. Let me rephrase, I'm looking for more capacity than my Shirley can offer. That's exactly my problem. The Shirley set the bar high for what I expect from my next smoker.

I did contact Shirley but they are 30 months out right now.

True that. Let me rephrase, I'm looking for more capacity than my Shirley can offer. That's exactly my problem. The Shirley set the bar high for what I expect from my next smoker.

I did contact Shirley but they are 30 months out right now.

Surely they must bump a repeat customer to a higher priority for a larger build?

If only....

10K+ is a pretty big chunk of $$$ to lose if timelines don't line up. I would hire another welder to pick up some slack. Maybe not to do the fancy welds, but other less "seen" welds if they are not up to par with the more artistry welds.

Back