9k=
images

"They call me Tater Salad"

:shock:

KC

This is kinda twistin' off into the wilderness, but

"Runny beans are tricky with a fork."

That's what soppin' bread is for............:grin:

I have put a lot of different things in potato salad, I like change with it. Two of my better 'strange' combinations were chopped ripe nectarines (added only to what you eat that day, doesn't keep well overnight) and toasted almond slivers. Some of my favourite classic ingredients are dill seeds and herbs, sour dill pickles, chopped sweet peppers. Only real mayonnaise like Hellman's, not ever Miracle Whip sweet-type salad dressings. Lots of fresh cracked pepper. Most of the time I make it without egg when I'm serving it with meat but I love it with egg, too, especially if I'm packing potato salad as lunch and want a balanced meal. Two reasons I dislike store bought potato salad is the Miracle-whip type sweet dressing and the potatoes are hard. Most store bought potato salad gives me a chemical aftertaste. I'm not a fan of the idea of cheddar but I would consider blue cheese.

Tell me more, please, as in details of how you dress it. Do you put the oil and vinegar on the potato, etc., separately and then stir, or, do you make a vinaigrette and toss it that way? I'm interested in this in particular because of an neighbour I had in Toronto. Her MIL is Polish and apparently made a 'to die for' potato salad with olive oil, no mayo. My neighbour didn't cook, was apparently hopeless in that area of life so she wasn't able to tell me much more than it tasted out of this world and had olive oil in it. Do you have photos of what your potato salad looks like when it's done? Maybe an old TD photo? I'd like to try making it some time so I'm interested in the details.

To deguerre & Kathy......

I've been threatening to make the Deep Fried stuff from above that way.....as a hot German-style salad......even as a cold it might be good.............

What's stopping progress is that Jalepeno Ranch is tremendous..........

I got the idea from a 'raunt guy in Georgia, said they needed to do it hot, per order & so they came up with frying, then coating with sauce....could easily coat with oil & spices........

Oh.......and eat it w/ a fork............

I just got an image in my head of french fry salad. :laugh:

Edit: Holy smokes, I've had french fry potato salad! When I was dating a Peruvian and hung out with a bunch of them. One guy used to make Lomo Saltado and french fries are part of the dish. I didn't watch him cooking. The french fries were really delicious and different, I asked him what he put on them. He said he tossed them in mayonnaise! :shock: At the time it sounded like the strangest thing. Not anymore.

I will be making a nice 5 pound batch for our Memorial Day cookout. I think the potatoes make a huge difference. I like yukon gold or white potatoes. Definitely not russet, those are for baking and mashing. I use eggs, mayo (but not too much), mustard, cider vinegar, celery, green pepper, red onion, dill (preferably fresh), salt, pepper. Very good stuff.

Back