Pork Slices - Turn-in

I hate to beat this horse that just won't die Todd but can you clarify the statement above for me? What exactly is illegal? Your statement seems to contradict itself. Were you told that cooking the butt to a higher temp after removing the money muscle is okay or were you told that is against the rules?

Both. My point is that even KCBS doesn't agree. One person told me that a cook couldn't seperate and continue cooking. Another told me that you could.

Both. My point is that even KCBS doesn't agree. One person told me that a cook couldn't seperate and continue cooking. Another told me that you could.

I sure am glad that's resolved. :lol: I suppose, based on your source descriptions, that the board member in charge of rules is the ranking authority here.

So, back to the earlier question about the Royal.

Does turning in sliced pork improve your winning chances over turning in pulled pork? Assuming the quality is equal.

I sure am glad that's resolved. :lol: I suppose, based on your source descriptions, that the board member in charge of rules is the ranking authority here.

Probably depends on who's the rep at your contest. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. :biggrin:

Does turning in sliced pork improve your winning chances over turning in pulled pork? Assuming the quality is equal.

Tough question. Depends on your table of judges I guess. We don't do true slices or true pulled. Kind of something in between.

What a silly rule. So many cooks do exactly that with Brisket every weekend, why the special rule for Pork?

What a silly rule. So many cooks do exactly that with Brisket every weekend, why the special rule for Pork?

I agree with the above 100 % but cooking 2 butts isnt that big of a deal i guess.

The two reps, who've been a part of KCBS at least from the early 90's, told me that back in the day cooks would slice their pork butts and grill them. Could have been the money muscle or muscle groups. The rule was enacted to keep this BBQ and not grilling. Anyway, that's the story I got.

You are correct that there are no limitations on brisket sizes and people separate points and flats all of the time. Shoot, I've cooked points that are the about the size of your hand.

If it were me, I'd eliminate the pork size/parting rule all together. If that's what you think you need to do to beat me, go for it. I can and have beat these guys that butterfly their butts many times as it is. It isn't necessary, IMHO.

Before you know it, we'll be shaving our chicken thighs with pink razors. :eek:

The two reps, who've been a part of KCBS at least from the early 90's, told me that back in the day cooks would slice their pork butts and grill them. Could have been the money muscle or muscle groups. The rule was enacted to keep this BBQ and not grilling. Anyway, that's the story I got.

You are correct that there are no limitations on brisket sizes and people separate points and flats all of the time. Shoot, I've cooked points that are the about the size of your hand.

If it were me, I'd eliminate the pork size/parting rule all together. If that's what you think you need to do to beat me, go for it. I can and have beat these guys that butterfly their butts many times as it is. It isn't necessary, IMHO.

Before you know it, we'll be shaving our chicken thighs with pink razors. :eek:

grilling the pork slices.. interesting !!.. never heard of that, but i'm still a newbie. doesn't stop people from grilling chicken either. oh well... i agree with everybody who says the "parting" rule is a silly rule to have when in fact we trim the beejesus out of other stuff.

Before you know it, we'll be shaving our chicken thighs with pink razors. :eek:[/quote]

Dang it now I have to replace the purple one???

Ironically I was going to fire up the smoker this weekend and get some practice in on trimming and slicing of this "money muscle" though I have never done it. Very informational and almost clear as mud of an explanation...haha.

We have noticed alot of turn-in boxes with sliced pork. Can anyone tell us how you are slicing? Are you using a seperate pork loin or butt just to slice? Pictures would be great!:-D

Everything looks so good.

Thanks

Give me your rib secrets and I will tell you what you need to know!

I am very solidly confused after reading the whole thread. It seems as if many people trim the butt to expose some of the the money muscle for a good bark... many do not.
The question is, will this lead to disqualification? Has this happened to someone?

I am very solidly confused after reading the whole thread. It seems as if many people trim the butt to expose some of the the money muscle for a good bark... many do not.
The question is, will this lead to disqualification? Has this happened to someone?

You can trim and expose the MM, but you can't separate the muscle from the butt and then return the other part to the smoker. So just make sure that you leave the exposed MM somewhat attached.

As a KCBS CBJ I am seeing a lot of boxes with 3 offers of pork money muscle, pulled and chunks.

Lester, I'm seeing the same thing done with different degrees of success. When you put two, or three, seperate offerings in that box please remember that I'm going to judge it "as presented by the cook"; in other words as a whole. If the slices are over/under done then leave 'em out! The same goes for pulled, chopped, chunks or whatever is not "up to par" with your best pieces - don't put it in the box.

Back