Bone in whole pork loin question

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I see that bone in whole pork loins are only $1.48 per pound at Sam's Club, by the case.

I am currently paying $1.94/lb by the case for boneless pork loin at Sam's.

If I understand correctly, with this bone in version, would I end up with a pork tenderloin, baby back ribs, whole pork loin and some end scraps which I could use with my pork butts when I grind the up for sausage?

If so, this seems like a great deal. I'd be paying about 50 cents less per pound for the loin, getting baby baby ribs and tenderloin for only $1.48/lb. The end scraps could be ground up with the pork butt I grind up.. the pork butt is $1.48 / lb so same cost. I could use the blade bone from this whole loin in some stock / pork soup along with the pork butt bones.

What do you think?

If this is just for you and yours, it certainly seems like a pretty good deal.

If you have to consider labor costs? It's almost always cheaper to let them butcher it than doing it in house.

If this is just for you and yours, it certainly seems like a pretty good deal.

If you have to consider labor costs? It's almost always cheaper to let them butcher it than doing it in house.

I don't work so I have all the time in the world. Trying to save as much money as possible. Saving half my income each month so far.

I already do meat processing as is. I cut up whole pork loins with meat slicer into thin slices (for jerky, soups, stir fry etc) as well as nice boneless chops. I also grind whole pork butts for ground pork (throwing the bone & attached meat into a pot for pork soup/stock). I sometimes make my own canadian bacon or other types of cured pork. $1.49 for baby back ribs sounds nice. Ground pork is nice for sausages, italian sasuasge, meatloaf, patties, meatballs, etc..

Thinking about saving the ribs after eating them for a nice pork stock along with some pork butt bones. Make a bunch of it and freeze it in portions to use in soups, like asian soups etc.. There is all that tasty marrow in the ribs that could be realsed into some nice stock perhaps? never done this before though with eaten pork ribs. I have made stock with turkey carcass after it's been picked.. and that turned out fabulous.. totally worthwhile.

I say you have a solid cost savings plan that is a great benefit to your food budget. From your description, you also possess the skills and have the process further equipment needed to accomplish your goals. So I say go for it and post before and after pictures of the meat after cutting.

Could I ask a favor of you. You once posted a recipe card of Shack Attack sauce. Would you be so kind as to post that again? Your original picture has disappeared. Here is the thread below

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136085&page=22&highlight=shack+attack

Thanks,

Robert

If I understand correctly, with this bone in version, would I end up with a pork tenderloin, baby back ribs, whole pork loin and some end scraps which I could use with my pork butts when I grind the up for sausage?

If it truly a whole loin, then yes, that's what you would end up with. Here is a decent video on the process to break one down. He didn't separate the ribs, but that shouldn't be difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tpxyzm1S5w

.. I say go for it and post before and after pictures of the meat after cutting.

Could I ask a favor of you. You once posted a recipe card of Shack Attack sauce. Would you be so kind as to post that again? Your original picture has disappeared. Here is the thread below

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136085&page=22&highlight=shack+attack
Yeah, I'll definitely share some photos here if I buy those bone in whole pork loins from Sam's.

Regarding the old photos, yeah I used tinypic without an account years ago and lost a lot of photos on various forums because they closed down.. really upset me. I just found the recipe card and snapped a quick photo with my phone :) I laughed at it when I saw it.. it's been a few years since I've seen the card.. the pig is so cute lol. I am hosting forum images on my google drive now so there won't ever be a chance to lose them in the future.

uc

I like to do a good bit of home butchering as well. I bought this a meat cuber/tenderizer and started doing pork cutlets from the loin, and cube steaks from whole bottom rounds. It saves a good bit of money, and I like the pork cutlets better than the boneless chops. The pork cutlets seem to be juicier and more forgiving if you overcook them. Price has nerly doubled since I got mine in 2019. https://www.amazon.com/Weston-Tende...9:Weston&rnid=2528832011&s=home-garden&sr=1-1

I've considered doing the same thing, for the same reason. I didn't necessarily need that much pork, I think the case price indicated it'd be 3-4 whole loin sections, but I was going to split it with some family members and make it more economical for all of us.

Yeah, I'll definitely share some photos here if I buy those bone in whole pork loins from Sam's.

Regarding the old photos, yeah I used tinypic without an account years ago and lost a lot of photos on various forums because they closed down.. really upset me. I just found the recipe card and snapped a quick photo with my phone :) I laughed at it when I saw it.. it's been a few years since I've seen the card.. the pig is so cute lol. I am hosting forum images on my google drive now so there won't ever be a chance to lose them in the future.

uc

Thank you for posting that. I'm sure the folks in the Shack Attack thread will appreciate it.

I like to do a good bit of home butchering as well. I bought this a meat cuber/tenderizer and started doing pork cutlets from the loin, and cube steaks from whole bottom rounds. It saves a good bit of money, and I like the pork cutlets better than the boneless chops. The pork cutlets seem to be juicier and more forgiving if you overcook them. Price has nerly doubled since I got mine in 2019. https://www.amazon.com/Weston-Tende...9:Weston&rnid=2528832011&s=home-garden&sr=1-1

If you want to save a few dollars the below link has one $45 dollars cheaper that is nearly identical and if you want to go motorized they have a unit that is $4 dollars more than the manual one you posted.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ba...rizer-with-two-legs-and-clamps/554BSMT31.html

Thanks,

Robert

Back