THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you hook through the thickest end of the ribs? I've never had mine fall. Perhaps you are letting them run too long?

Are you going straight by time? If so, realize that time is only a guideline. BBQ is done when it's done. For ribs on the PBC, I start checking after 3 hours with the toothpick test: when it slides in without resistance, it's done (check every 30
minuses after 3 hours). It's usually done about the 4 hr mark if I'm just straight hanging and not foiling when they are done.

Yes, I hang them from the thick side. I usually start checking around 2.5'hours with the bounce test. Is the toothpick test better?

Yes, I hang them from the thick side. I usually start checking around 2.5'hours with the bounce test. Is the toothpick test better?

Were the rack thin?? I've had that happen twice with the PBC and the rack were fairly thin and nothing seems to work with those.

i-JF2dxcS-XL.jpg

Were the rack thin?? I've had that happen twice with the PBC and the rack were fairly thin and nothing seems to work with those.

They were not! Maybe next weekend I will try the toothpick method to see if its just user error. Probably is!!!!

In my experience, yes, the toothpick test is better and absolutely works. Start probing after 3 hours in the thickest part of the ribs every 20-30 minutes. I've never had them finish before 3.5 hours and a little over 4.5 hours was my longest. Of course, it all depends on your cooking temps, wind, etc.

RE: Ribs falling off. I've had it happen a couple of times. Both times were because I let them go for too long. The meat shouldn't fall off the bone which is basically what is happening here when it falls off the hook.

Silver lining is that the ribs were still good both times and I only lost a couple of bones on the end that fell in to the basket. If they fall off, you should be close to the smoker anyways at that point since they are done.

Great to see all the cooks this weekend. I had plans so couldn't this weekend; however, I did get the call from Cost Plus that my Blues Hog sauce was in. They were also running a 25% off deal on their seasonal BBQ sauce display and I had a coupon for an additional 10% off. The six bottles of Blues Hog wound up costing me $20.22!

I also purchased other sauces including Lillie Q Smoky & Carolina styles, Uncle Merle's Mustard BBQ, The Shed Spicy Vinegar & Souther Sweet styles and Smokey Kansas City Spicy BBQ. Don't know if any of these are good but I walked out of the store with 13 bottles of BBQ sauce and two bags of Lillie Q brand potato chips for $57.72 :)

If you're cooking with the rebar out that would explain the high temps. Even if cooking on the grates its best to leave the rods in unless you are looking for temps above 330°.

Yep I was doing these hot and fast, still learning the nuances of the PBC.

I've always done jerky in a dehydrator but I'd definitely be interested in trying it in the PBC.

I've been wanting to try some different sauces and Blues Hog has been a name that I've seen pop up often. I definitely want to give that one a shot along with some others. What are some favorites among my PBC Brethren and where's the best place to get them?

I've always done jerky in a dehydrator but I'd definitely be interested in trying it in the PBC.

I've been wanting to try some different sauces and Blues Hog has been a name that I've seen pop up often. I definitely want to give that one a shot along with some others. What are some favorites among my PBC Brethren and where's the best place to get them?

Blues Hog original on ribs and Tennessee Red on pulled pork (mix 50/50 with a little apple juice to glaze for chicken). Online at bigpoppasmokers.com and sign up for their email to get notified of sales. For rubs, check out their West Coast offense. Good stuff!
As mentioned earlier, Cost Plus World Market is now carrying Summer BBQ stuff, including Blues Hog original sauce and rub. Just went and picked up some along with the Shed sauces to try. Buy online and use promo code "maysave" to get 15% off (which they won't give at the register. Online sale ends Monday). Also, unfortunately, they no longer carry Blues Hog Tennessee Red (though I bet the Shed's spicy vinegar sauce will make a fine substitute). I got enough to carry me through the summer and will wait until their fall clearance 50% off sale when I'll go and clear them out! :becky:

Wings on the kettle...For those of you who don't know the kettle and PBC make good friends.....:becky:

These are the two cookers I have also and couldn't agree more. This would be the combination I would tell those who were new to smoking to get as they are relatively inexpensive but very capable units.

I'm also a fan of Hak's sauces. The Smoked Maple Mustard and Habanero Pineapple are great.

Memphis Championship BBQ's Sticky Red Sauce is real nice as well.

Scotts Hot Vinegar is real nice on pulled pork as well if you don't want to make your own vinegar sauce.

Back