THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll peak at the membership, didn't see it before. Also thanks for the link to the post on the square tubes / raising the coal basket to grill on...that looks worth a try.

Mind sharing your process on smoking the boneless skinless chicken breasts? Did you do those on the PBC grill at normal height for a couple of hours (after brining and rubbing)? Those look awesome.

Simple brine of 1/4c kosher salt and 1/4c brown sugar dissolved in 1Qrt of water. Make sure it's cooled before you put the chicken in. I usually add a little less water and dump in some ice cubes to cool rapidly.

Place in ziploc bag or Tupperware type container. Brine for about 4-6 hours. Too much more than that can leave the chicken salty. Rinse them and pat dry.

I coat them in olive oil and then use rub. PBC all purpose rub is good..so is Plowboys Yardbird. Then just smoke at regular grate height until desired temp.. I usually take mine a little over 165.

Wow, that is a cheap price. Wonder if the limit of 5 is true in the store too. Guess I'll find out. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure, but I'm sure you can buy 5. Come back in an hour and buy 5 more. Just change your shirt :)

I just picked up 3.

New PBC owner...just arrived about an hour ago. Some quick questions I hope:

1) Is there a way to search just this thread? Under thread tools I didn't see a search. :(

2) Does the PBC work great or just average or not very well at all as a charcoal grill? What I'm really hoping to do is something like hang some meat, cook for a few hours or whatever it takes, wrap that up to rest, leave the lid off and then grill skinless boneless tasteless (heh!) chicken breasts or hamburgers on the grill.

3) Any side table/shelf attachment ideas that don't require drilling holes? I looked for a clamp on shelf for the handles, but didn't find any. Of course, a nice rolling storage cart with a top on it to keep all my smoking and BBQ goodies in would be even better, lol.

On the grilling, perhaps look at the Grill Grate. They sell it on the PBC website, or you might find a better sale on it from the Grill Grate website. I replaced the grills on my gas grill with them and they absorb and redistribute heat amazingly.

There are videos of people doing burgers with the lid off. Check out the stuffed burgers by 'Ace' Champion off the PBC videos page.

Just joining the group. Picked up my PBC TBL edition a couple weeks ago. Cooked a rack of spare ribs on the PBC that were fantastic. I tried hanging a brisket on my WSM with the Weber hanging rack and over cooked the crap out of it so I'm a little apprehensive of hanging another brisket. I think I'm going to go for 3 halved chickens tomorrow's dinner.

It's odd seeing the Plowboys and 3 Little Pigs rubs being used through the thread since these are restaurants I frequent on a regular basis. I also see a lot or the rubs being ordered online in the BBQ sauce aisle. It's nice living in the BBQ Mecca that is KC.

34878153996_11fe1152ee_z.jpg

34786560511_8e12e8da6f_z.jpg

34754939932_63ce2b158d_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Happy long weekend.

Rain is the forecast here for Monday which is to be my rib christening cook. Any idea how badly temps are affected when cooking in the rain? I don't have too much experience with PBC (2 weekends so far, chickens, and pork loin and fatty) so was curious if I originally thought ribs might be 3-3.5 hours might that be a lot longer in the rain? A little? Not noticeable?

Thanks

Just joining the group. Picked up my PBC TBL edition a couple weeks ago. Cooked a rack of spare ribs on the PBC that were fantastic. I tried hanging a brisket on my WSM with the Weber hanging rack and over cooked the crap out of it so I'm a little apprehensive of hanging another brisket. I think I'm going to go for 3 halved chickens tomorrow's dinner.

It's odd seeing the Plowboys and 3 Little Pigs rubs being used through the thread since these are restaurants I frequent on a regular basis. I also see a lot or the rubs being ordered online in the BBQ sauce aisle. It's nice living in the BBQ Mecca that is KC.

34878153996_11fe1152ee_z.jpg

34786560511_8e12e8da6f_z.jpg

34754939932_63ce2b158d_z.jpg

Looks awesome KCBRUIN, and welcome!

Hey guys,

Happy long weekend.

Rain is the forecast here for Monday which is to be my rib christening cook. Any idea how badly temps are affected when cooking in the rain? I don't have too much experience with PBC (2 weekends so far, chickens, and pork loin and fatty) so was curious if I originally thought ribs might be 3-3.5 hours might that be a lot longer in the rain? A little? Not noticeable?

Thanks

I've only cooked once in the rain but I had a pop up canopy over it I was able to drop down and keep everything fine and it cooked great right through. It's really only the wind that give my barrel a hard time but I've started turning my PBC 90° away from the wind direction based on someone's advice here, sorry I forget who's idea it was to give you proper credit.

So, I've been gone a while, and you guys have been knocking your cooks out of the park these past weeks! Now, it's my turn :-D

I found out Thursday night that my cook for Saturday had increased from 20 people to 40; I had planned on a 9 lb pork butt for pulled pork, 3 slabs of baby backs, and a bologna chub (local favorite) plus all the usual sides...but for 40, I picked up another butt and more baby backs:eusa_clap

I cooked the butts yesterday; went about as smooth as possible. 270F, 4 big hunks of applewood, 4 hours to wrap at 165F, 1.5 hours to hit 205F, and into the cooler they went! That's as fast as any butts I've ever cooked, I think...anyway, let's get on with the pRon:

Nekkid, and waiting for rub

Rubbed with McCormicks Sweet and Smokey, and injected with 100% apple juice....

rubbed%20and%20injected%20pork_zps6qdzxepj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

An hour in...running right at 270F...

No pics of the wrap at 165F; they looked soooo good, and I got in a hurry to get them back on :becky:. But here's one at 205F just as it was going into the cooler....

And finally, pulled and ready to rumble....

Since the party is today, they were drizzled with a little apple juice and stored in the fridge for reheat...

Ribs go on today around 10, I'll post up some of that as it happens!

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, and take time to remember those who sacrificed all so we have the liberties and freedoms we enjoy....

Cheers

Vam

Simple brine of 1/4c kosher salt and 1/4c brown sugar dissolved in 1Qrt of water. Make sure it's cooled before you put the chicken in. I usually add a little less water and dump in some ice cubes to cool rapidly.

Place in ziploc bag or Tupperware type container. Brine for about 4-6 hours. Too much more than that can leave the chicken salty. Rinse them and pat dry.

I coat them in olive oil and then use rub. PBC all purpose rub is good..so is Plowboys Yardbird. Then just smoke at regular grate height until desired temp.. I usually take mine a little over 165.

Sporster, you are becoming THE guy with all the answers in the thread....lol. :thumb:

Thanks for helping the new guys!

So, I've been gone a while, and you guys have been knocking your cooks out of the park these past weeks! Now, it's my turn :-D

I found out Thursday night that my cook for Saturday had increased from 20 people to 40; I had planned on a 9 lb pork butt for pulled pork, 3 slabs of baby backs, and a bologna chub (local favorite) plus all the usual sides...but for 40, I picked up another butt and more baby backs:eusa_clap

I cooked the butts yesterday; went about as smooth as possible. 270F, 4 big hunks of applewood, 4 hours to wrap at 165F, 1.5 hours to hit 205F, and into the cooler they went! That's as fast as any butts I've ever cooked, I think...anyway, let's get on with the pRon:

Since the party is today, they were drizzled with a little apple juice and stored in the fridge for reheat...

Ribs go on today around 10, I'll post up some of that as it happens!

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, and take time to remember those who sacrificed all so we have the liberties and freedoms we enjoy....

Cheers

Vam

Looks great Vammy!

Man we have a bunch of new PBC owners! I can't keep up with you all now......Welcome to you all. I hope you enjoy your PBC as much as the rest of us do! :thumb::becky:

Some random happenings for a nice family day.

Smart and Final is basically giving away spare ribs. They have them in two packs.
I trimmed them down to St. Louis. I hung the trimmed tip meat almost like a loin, and the wrapped it when it got to about 165.

I sauced the racks around 3 hours and let them go for another 30 minutes. I pulled them off and let them sit covered with foil while we went swimming. That's when I put the potatoes on, which ended up making the most delicious mashed potatoes.

as you can see they were just ready to start falling apart.

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_172155.jpg
    IMG_20170527_172155.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20170527_151135.jpg
    IMG_20170527_151135.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20170527_150942.jpg
    IMG_20170527_150942.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 132
Back