THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A better shot a little later.....and my wings all seasoned up with my favorite seasoning for wings. I'll probably do the wings in my kettle. Folks around here like ribs more done than I prefer so I'll have to unhook them and grate cook them some. I want the wings ready at the same time.....

Hey Andrew I received some of that seasoning as part of the cinco de mayo trade and haven't had a chance to check it out yet but from what you said I guess its pretty good.

Hey Andrew I received some of that seasoning as part of the cinco de mayo trade and haven't had a chance to check it out yet but from what you said I guess its pretty good.

I only use it for wings....on them it's outstanding!

Maiden voyage. Read thread for a couple months, grabbed during Amazon sale and went with chicken as first cook.

Here's my setting. I'm at 219' above sea level. Look ok?

Kmluacs.jpg

Chickens split and rubbed with Ploughboys Yardbird, recommended here, first time trying.

kU2pgES.jpg

Lit 40 coals in small chimney, waited 15 mins. At that point they weren't as fiery as pictures I've seen Andrew post so I waited 2 more mins, then dumped. I waited 12 minutes with the lid on, then I hung the meat.

Undisturbed for 2 hours. I did not check air temp just let it go as is. Pulled a bird at 2 hours and it read 157. Re-hung and decided to crack lid a bit, and let them go 20 mins more. Then they were done.

Is it odd that they were 'dark blond' and 157 at 2 hours? Do people think that means I was running cool? Any thoughts / recommendations?

After letting them finish, they did taste amazing , so no complaints , was just surprised that they weren't done at 2 hours.

Thanks!!

zZneJnz.jpg

CGpVwhE.jpg

ydcjCtt.jpg

Nice one Servo! One thing you gotta remember...even with the PBC food cooks with the same principle....it's done when it's done! Don't be surprised with longer or shorter cook times.

Agree. Sometime your chicken halves will be in less sometime more than 2 hours. Your finished product look great and oh so juicy. Welcome to club PBC.

Servo, your temp may have been a tad low but I don't think it was under 250°. One thing most of us do here, is when the bird gets close to done (about 145-150°) crack the lid and ramp up the temp to about 350° for about 20-25 min to finish the bird. It'll make the skin get a little more crispy too.
I think my birds are usually done at about an hour and a half maybe an hour and 45 minutes at 275°. So you weren't far from that in my opinion.

Birds looked great by the way... :thumb:

Servo, your temp may have been a tad low but I don't think it was under...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I had a case of first use anxiety. Getting right back on the saddle today going to try a fatty in Killer B Honey Chipotle and a pork loin I had in the freezer with the PBC Beef&Game. Maiden voyage 2!

Has anyone experienced a PBC that runs hot? I've adjusted the amount of charcoal I put in the basket, the amount of charcoal I lite in my starter and I've all but closed the intake and I'm still running at 300+.

I'm in SE Michigan at about 1000 ft of elevation if that helps.

A couple of pork butts I'm doing for the folks next door to my business.

i-TbsWjK5-XL.jpg

I'll pull and refrigerate tonight then reheat in a broaster pan in the morning.

Back