THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An update.

The Brisket started dropping in temp after 12 hours even though there were still coals in the PBC. So I brought it in and let it go the last hour in a 300 degree oven. Late night dinner was a slice of brisket and a farm fresh fried duck egg each.

GF and I have decided that the BP makes the bark firmer with a decent crunch to it. I will definitely do this again. will try to pics later.

So my curiosity is still up. Why does my PBC run at 275* with only an occasional hiccup and my buddy's run real hot? Both are now set up the same with mine only being 5 months older. It seams there is some slop in the lid that Noah explained as "a new design". Mine does have "some" movement but not like the other.
I also noticed that the handle is screwed thru both the lid and handle as are the side handles.

Buddy's lid:
usa.jpg

Mine:
usmc.jpg

(please pardon the dust on mine. My son blew down the patio and put all the sand on my lid :mad2:)

Mine looks like your buddy's looks and I have no issues with running hot.

I told him that I am going to keep it for a few more days and do another cook on it to try to zero in on what is going on with it. He graduated from a gasser so he thinks that it is "running normal". I just have to finish up the leftovers from Saturday which wont be a problem with my adult children who refuse to buy their own groceries.

I told him that I am going to keep it for a few more days and do another cook on it to try to zero in on what is going on with it. He graduated from a gasser so he thinks that it is "running normal". I just have to finish up the leftovers from Saturday which wont be a problem with my adult children who refuse to buy their own groceries.

How much hotter are we talking about?

Mike, close his intake about 1/4" more than it is now and see if it runs at a lower temp. Because of the way the vent cap (intake) is designed its not precise. Plus with no definite markings we pretty much eye ball what we think is the correct setting. Because of that no 2 PBC's will run exactly the same with the exact same set up.

Try that slight adjustment and let us know what happened. You may need to close it a hair more or that could be a hair too much, but the temp will let you know.....

A shout out to Stlsportster, who today was named the winner of the BBQ Brethren "Chucky Challenge" Throwdown!

Nice work Stlsportster!

How you liking the PBC?

Thanks Bob! Was shocked I won with so many great entries.

I love the PBC. Everything I cook on it turns out great. So much better than the pellet pooper but I really need more horizontal space than the grate gives me. Will keep the PBC but may supplement with a vertical cabinet at some point.

I've seen some posts where people hang chicken wings on a flat style skewer. Where are these gotten from?

thanks!

So my curiosity is still up. Why does my PBC run at 275* with only an occasional hiccup and my buddy's run real hot? Both are now set up the same with mine only being 5 months older. It seams there is some slop in the lid that Noah explained as "a new design". Mine does have "some" movement but not like the other.
I also noticed that the handle is screwed thru both the lid and handle as are the side handles.

Buddy's lid:
usa.jpg

Mine:
usmc.jpg

(please pardon the dust on mine. My son blew down the patio and put all the sand on my lid :mad2:)
I believe some of the new lids are warped. Noah will send your buddy some LavaLock gasket material if his is. To test to see if it is warped press down alternately on opposite sides of the lid, working your way all the way around. If there is significant warpage it will go clank clank, clank clank. Other than that possibility I really don't know what it could be although it is annoying and disappointing.

All of that being said Noah will make it right for him. Let us know how you make out and what the solution was.

I've seen some posts where people hang chicken wings on a flat style skewer. Where are these gotten from?

thanks!

I bought these from Amazon. Just need to modify them so the wings don't fall off the bottom while cooking. Seen a potato stuck on the end, binder clips and even a hole drilled for a cotterpin.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013QMNS8O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : BBQ Skewers, X-Chef 17-inch Stainless Steel Barbecue Grill Stick Skewers Set of 6 : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Thank you. But....$50??? Wowsa!

Your in NY and there should be a ton of Mediterranean, middle Eastern, Asian markets, shops that carry shish kabob type skewers for very cheap.

I got mine from small mom and pop butcher shops near me.

Does anyone use a rib rack in their PBC? I am one who prefers wrapped ribs and there are times I needs to cook 4-5 racks. So, I'm hoping a rack will let me wrap and hold 4 or 5 on the grate at the wrap stage. I hang the first 2 hours. I appreciate any and all recommendations or suggestions. Thanks!

Long time (years) lurker here. Started with electric smokers, then a Weber Kettle to smoke with and then a PBC original a few years ago. I had a love hate relationship with it because I could never get the temps to hold no matter what I tried. Every 30-45 minutes I would have to crack the lid and goose the temps back to the 250-270 ish range. Then it would fall again. Ribs and turkey on it were excellent though. Briskies were 50-50. I also didn't like how,the outside was beginning to show rust.
Anyway the new version is out with the new coating and I sold the older PBC and have version 2 now. The three cooks I have done have needed no adjustments. Awesome. I did get the ash catcher which raises the coals a bit and that may provide just enough room for air circulation under the coals to keep the coals going. Dunno just guessing.
So this is longer than I intended but just wanted to thank y'all for the 324 pages of info I just now finished and introduce myself. So many great ideas in those posts.
Cheers.

Welcome golf! Glad you are having better success this time around. I had that same problem at the beginning and found it was partially related to my lighting procedure. I wasn't using enough charcoal in the chimney and was popping the lid on right away as soon as I dumped the lit charcoal. Using more to start and leaving the lid off for about 5 minutes helps it run in the upper 280-290 range pretty solid.

Now I've gotten comfortable enough to play with partial baskets, magnets to control the intake and periods with the lid off to adjust the temp where I want it.

Looking forward to your posts and pics of your cooks!

Back