THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last time I did burgers on the PBC, I just left the lid off the entire time and cooked them like you would on a Weber. You are far enough away from the coals that they don't get a good char, and its not like smoking them....somewhere in between.

Thats why I figured I could crank the heat up with the PartyQ.

By the way, not that Noah is the God of all PBC cooking (cause I think he could learn a few things from this thread) but, here is his suggestion on burgers:

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/burgers

1. Light your Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) according to the instructions.
  2. Using your thumb, put an indentation in the center of each hamburger patty, then season with a moderate dusting of the Beef & Game Pit Rub.
  3. Install the grill grate in the PBC, arrange the burgers on the grate (and bacon slices, if desired), leaving space between each. Leave the lid off.
    Tip: Using tongs and a paper towel, apply a coat of olive oil to grill grate prior to cooking to prevent sticking.
  4. Cook burgers for 6-7 minutes, flip, then continue cooking for another 6-7 minutes, or until the burgers reach desired doneness (minimum internal temperature of 165º).

Bob was messing with you Sportster. :biggrin1:
In the early days of the thread we had a couple people (non PBC owners) that acted as if we thought Noahs advice or instructions were like God speaking to us. Heaven forbid we actually follow the instructions of the man who manufactured the PBC....:crazy:
Usually his instructions will get most people about to the 80% point. What I mean is sure they will work and your food will turn out great but most will have to tweak here and there. Especially when it comes to cook times. I've never used his cook times because I usually have a probe in the meat I'm cooking.
Noah is a great guy who understands customer support and the need to put out a quality product. Thats why he has had so much success with the PBC.

Im finding the results I am having with the PBC are knocking it out of the park! I made some back loin ribs Monday that were quite possibly the best Ive ever done. Adding the PartyQ has allowed me to dial the temps in much closer to where I want, but without the PartyQ, the PBC is still an excellent product. Anyone want to buy my GMG Jim Bowie?

Im finding the results I am having with the PBC are knocking it out of the park! I made some back loin ribs Monday that were quite possibly the best Ive ever done. Adding the PartyQ has allowed me to dial the temps in much closer to where I want, but without the PartyQ, the PBC is still an excellent product. Anyone want to buy my GMG Jim Bowie?

Exactly !!!!

Yup!^^^^^^^^^

Thats why I figured I could crank the heat up with the PartyQ.

Hey gposner. Go back and read some of the posts I made concerning the PQ and high temps. The best I could do with the lid on was in the 350 degree range, no matter the setpoint on the PQ. I think just leaving the lid off to cook burgers is the way to go. Nevertheless, we are all interested in your trials, let us know.

Hey gposner. Go back and read some of the posts I made concerning the PQ and high temps. The best I could do with the lid on was in the 350 degree range, no matter the setpoint on the PQ. I think just leaving the lid off to cook burgers is the way to go. Nevertheless, we are all interested in your trials, let us know.

Will do. I got it up into the 400's with the top off a little ways and the PartyQ cranking. If memory serves anyhow as we were a few cocktails in. 😇

In many cases I have found the instructions and advice on this forum to more accurate than the videos. :)

We have all learned a lot from this thread that's for sure. More than one way to skin a cat as they say. I do find that when cooking large hunks of meat like pork butt and brisket it takes me longer than Noah's videos.

Cook time

I think a lot of the deal with Noah's videos is that he does some pretty simple cooks as well. We seem to tweek our recipes and really like to push the limits for size. I just bought a 16.7 lb packer brisket. I mean who does that? beside us smoke addicts. I kind of expect a long cook with that much mass.

I think a lot of the deal with Noah's videos is that he does some pretty simple cooks as well. We seem to tweek our recipes and really like to push the limits for size. I just bought a 16.7 lb packer brisket. I mean who does that? beside us smoke addicts. I kind of expect a long cook with that much mass.

Agreed! He's videos are geared more toward the average "Joe Gasser" transitioning into charcoal territory. If you expose them to too much they'll get scared off so to speak. You gotta reel them in slowly, from a business standpoint. I personally think he's doing a great job and where you take it from there is up to you.

Now, we're a different breed here. :becky:

Them

tumblr_n39vj7w1tc1rdk1vso1_500.jpg

Us

20120212-2328111.jpg

I actually did a 17lb-er with a friend a few weeks back. It came out excellent. Cook time is just about the same.

Have about a dozen people coming over Saturday and am just going to cook up some burgers since I dont have much time on Sat. First time doing them on the PBC and wondering what method you use for cooking them? I have a PartyQ and can easily raise the temperature. Planning on using the fresh preformed Costco patties (the huge ones) with some kosher salt and pepper. Cooking techniques are appreciated!

Thanks!

I have had great luck just leaving the lid off. A couple of weeks ago I set it up for to smoke some wings and sausage for appetizers and when they were done I took the lid off and let the heat build for about 15 minutes then put the burgers on without the lid or rods and grilled them like a normal grill. Once the burgers where done I put the lid on and rods back in and waited about 20 minutes for the temps to come back down and then hung 1/2 chickens to smoke for the next day. Everything came out great. The PBC is very flexible.

Been a while since I have actively posted. Between work projects and house projects, I have been wrapped in duct tape for some time.

Anyway, I decided it was time to invite friends and neighbors for the next exciting episode of "Smokin with Mike". Doing my brisket as usual but the wife also wanted turkey since its fall now. Borrowed my friends Army version PBC to do the bird
IMG_3555a.jpg

All I need now is for Andrew to fly up here with his AF version to really have some fun :icon_smile_tongue:

Agreed! He's videos are geared more toward the average "Joe Gasser" transitioning into charcoal territory. If you expose them to too much they'll get scared off so to speak. You gotta reel them in slowly, from a business standpoint. I personally think he's doing a great job and where you take it from there is up to you.

Now, we're a different breed here. :becky:

Them

tumblr_n39vj7w1tc1rdk1vso1_500.jpg

Us

20120212-2328111.jpg

I actually did a 17lb-er with a friend a few weeks back. It came out excellent. Cook time is just about the same.

To funny:fish: :rofl:

I have had great luck just leaving the lid off. A couple of weeks ago I set it up for to smoke some wings and sausage for appetizers and when they were done I took the lid off and let the heat build for about 15 minutes then put the burgers on without the lid or rods and grilled them like a normal grill. Once the burgers where done I put the lid on and rods back in and waited about 20 minutes for the temps to come back down and then hung 1/2 chickens to smoke for the next day. Everything came out great. The PBC is very flexible.

Welcome to the fun AZMANNIMAL!

Been a while since I have actively posted. Between work projects and house projects, I have been wrapped in duct tape for some time.

Anyway, I decided it was time to invite friends and neighbors for the next exciting episode of "Smokin with Mike". Doing my brisket as usual but the wife also wanted turkey since its fall now. Borrowed my friends Army version PBC to do the bird
IMG_3555a.jpg

All I need now is for Andrew to fly up here with his AF version to really have some fun :icon_smile_tongue:

Yeah that'd be fun! :thumb:

Wait just a minute!....a Soldier and a Marine inviting an Airman to a party.....I'm getting setup for an ass kicking arent I? :shocked:

Lol!

Yeah that'd be fun! :thumb:

Wait just a minute!....a Soldier and a Marine inviting an Airman to a party.....I'm getting setup for an ass kicking arent I? :shocked:

Lol!

Nah, How do I know that you weren't a FAC or on gunship saving MY ass???
Wouldn't it be fun to get USA, USAF, USCG, USMC, and USN PBC's all in use in one picture?

Nah, How do I know that you weren't a FAC or on gunship saving MY ass???
Wouldn't it be fun to get USA, USAF, USCG, USMC, and USN PBC's all in use in one picture?

Yeah that'd be cool.....I bet Noah uses the Navy one...:biggrin1:

Oh and I was on the E-3 AWACS......Maybe we directed some air assets to save your ass....:becky:

Back