THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone ever do pulled chicken on the pbc and leave the skin on ? be a shame to waist that crispy skin that the pbc almost always produces

I ate the crispy skin during the pulling process if that counts :becky: I was going to use the chicken in a soup hence the reason for eating the skin beforehand.

Z8ftoiKh.png

IthbwGeh.png

that chicken looks delish ssv, a little more seasoning and maybe some bbq sauce and bake for a few mins to let the sauce set ?

I just used S&P since it was going to be pulled for soup. Otherwise yes. :thumb:

Gotta say seasoned with just S&P it still rocked.

I've cooked whole chicken to pull as well. Honestly, pretty much any time I make chicken at least part of it gets pulled...whatever isnt eaten is pulled. Makes great tacos and awesome enchiladas!
I just season as usual. If I'm cooking just to pull, I'll pull the seasoned skin off and mix it in with the pulled meat while im pulling it. Once its all pulled I'll toss it around and take the skin out. Basically the seasoning from the skin rubs off into the pulled meat.....just my silly technique....:becky:

Plowboys is great. I just bought another bottle last night. Another awesome rub is KosmoQs Dirty Bird. Its just a little harder to get.

Well, now this kinda pisses me off....remember that PBC contest we all entered a couple weeks ago? All of a sudden I start getting emails from various BBQ websites thanking me for signing up for their newsletters, etc....couldn't figure out where...until today...

"Thank you for entering the Pit Barrel Cooker sweepstakes, and for your interest in BarbecueBible.com. Our weekly newsletter features recipes, grilling tips and stellar products that we think you'll love."

Damn...Noah sold our email addresses....

Well, now this kinda pisses me off....remember that PBC contest we all entered a couple weeks ago? All of a sudden I start getting emails from various BBQ websites thanking me for signing up for their newsletters, etc....couldn't figure out where...until today...

"Thank you for entering the Pit Barrel Cooker sweepstakes, and for your interest in BarbecueBible.com. Our weekly newsletter features recipes, grilling tips and stellar products that we think you'll love."

Damn...Noah sold our email addresses....

It was disclosed when you signed up. I got one from the BarbecueBible today but unsubscribed. That's the only one I've received.

Steven Raichlin has helped Noah quite a bit buy using the PBC in several cook shows and with some cool recipies. I'm sure that was a returned favor....

I know that Andrew and Sako have done some playing around with diffusers and firebricks to do shorter cooks, and lower temps....and I have been playing a bit too...

Last couple of cooks I have been intentionally trying to run the PBC at lower temps and for shorter time frames. A lot of times I'm just throwing on a couple of chicken breasts and some salmon and really only need about 2 hours at 225-250. (One of the only things I miss about the Traeger)

So even without firebricks, I have been short filling just half the charcoal basket, and then only lighting about 20-25 briquettes in the chimney...dumping them on one end of the half filled pile. Been getting over 5 hours this way at 225-250. Pretty sure I could just fill 1/4 of the basket and knock that down to 2.5 hours. There are always hot coals left at the end of my cook...enough to let it run another 30 min to burn things off before I do magnets over the intake and the rebar holes to shut it down.

I have also been playing with a magnet over the intake and cracking the lid at various times....have gotten pretty good at knowing how to get it run in the low 200s all the way to the low 300s just by jacking with the intake...sometimes at different points in the cook depending what I am throwing on...

So here is the question...has anyone tried to run at lower that 200 without the diffuser? What if I did a 2 or 3 briquette snake partway around the basket and run at less than 200? Thinking about trying some jerky soon and really don't want any higher than 160-180 and wondering if a smaller controlled burn fire will do that...

Thoughts?

I know that Andrew and Sako have done some playing around with diffusers and firebricks to do shorter cooks, and lower temps....and I have been playing a bit too...

Last couple of cooks I have been intentionally trying to run the PBC at lower temps and for shorter time frames. A lot of times I'm just throwing on a couple of chicken breasts and some salmon and really only need about 2 hours at 225-250. (One of the only things I miss about the Traeger)

So even without firebricks, I have been short filling just half the charcoal basket, and then only lighting about 20-25 briquettes in the chimney...dumping them on one end of the half filled pile. Been getting over 5 hours this way at 225-250. Pretty sure I could just fill 1/4 of the basket and knock that down to 2.5 hours. There are always hot coals left at the end of my cook...enough to let it run another 30 min to burn things off before I do magnets over the intake and the rebar holes to shut it down.

I have also been playing with a magnet over the intake and cracking the lid at various times....have gotten pretty good at knowing how to get it run in the low 200s all the way to the low 300s just by jacking with the intake...sometimes at different points in the cook depending what I am throwing on...

So here is the question...has anyone tried to run at lower that 200 without the diffuser? What if I did a 2 or 3 briquette snake partway around the basket and run at less than 200? Thinking about trying some jerky soon and really don't want any higher than 160-180 and wondering if a smaller controlled burn fire will do that...

Thoughts?

I think with a 2 to 3 briqs snake method it's doable. I have been successful in maintaining temps of 170-180* by just dumping in a little bit of coals from the bag in no particular order and a few lit ones on top. I only used the diffuser as insurance but if you position your briqs in a "calculated" pattern I don'd see why it shouldn't work. The fact that the food grate sits higher than a kettle grill is another advantage.

Keep ups posted Sportster.

I will be cooking 20lbs of Boston Butt for my office. when I smoke a butt on the PBC it normally takes about 7 hours and that includes an hour of rest. With cooking 20lbs this time how much longer do you think it will take. We will be eating at 1:00 and I am Thinking about starting it the night before around midnight. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I will be cooking 20lbs of Boston Butt for my office. when I smoke a butt on the PBC it normally takes about 7 hours and that includes an hour of rest. With cooking 20lbs this time how much longer do you think it will take. We will be eating at 1:00 and I am Thinking about starting it the night before around midnight. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm probably not the best one to answer this since my pork butts and briskets always seem to take longer than other PBCers, but I would definitely err on the side of caution and put your meat on earlier rather than later. I did two 9 lb butts awhile back and they probably took 9 hours plus. As you know you can always wrap in foil and place in a cooler if you are done ahead of time. But the food is not done by 1 pm you will have some hungry people. Although I guess you could chop the meat rather than pull it assuming it is above 165 or so.

I'm probably not the best one to answer this since my pork butts and briskets always seem to take longer than other PBCers, but I would definitely err on the side of caution and put your meat on earlier rather than later. I did two 9 lb butts awhile back and they probably took 9 hours plus. As you know you can always wrap in foil and place in a cooler if you are done ahead of time. But the food is not done by 1 pm you will have some hungry people. Although I guess you could chop the meat rather than pull it assuming it is above 165 or so.

Agreed. I thought about cooking it the day of, But with my luck the meat would stall FOREVER........Midnight it is. Thanks for the advice

Folks,

Last week I cooked 3 chickens on the PBC. Shredded one of them, sealed and froze it. I'm thinking of using to stuff some peppers because I really enjoy chile relleno. My thought is to mix with some rub and asadero cheese and stuff into fresh poblanos.

This would be my first time cooking stuffed peppers on the PBC. Anyone have any experience with this type of cook? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Folks,

Last week I cooked 3 chickens on the PBC. Shredded one of them, sealed and froze it. I'm thinking of using to stuff some peppers because I really enjoy chile relleno. My thought is to mix with some rub and asadero cheese and stuff into fresh poblanos.

This would be my first time cooking stuffed peppers on the PBC. Anyone have any experience with this type of cook? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds great! Take some pics! I can't provide any advice because I've never done anything like that on the PBC but I would think they will cook fairly quickly. I'd shoot for a higher temp say 325ish.
Let us know how it turns out..:thumb:

I do stuffed jalapeño, wrapped in bacon all the time. The PBC does cook hotter so the time wont take much more than an hour before the peppers are soft.

Don't forget to post pics!!

Back