THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have smoked plenty of turkeys and smoked with a few turkeys, but tomorrow will be the first time on the pit barrel. I am guessing that since it is on a hanger as opposed to sitting on the grate, that I cannot stuff the bird before smoking. Is this a correct assumption? Any advice?

I have smoked plenty of turkeys and smoked with a few turkeys, but tomorrow will be the first time on the pit barrel. I am guessing that since it is on a hanger as opposed to sitting on the grate, that I cannot stuff the bird before smoking. Is this a correct assumption? Any advice?

I'm wanting to do a turkey this fall so keeping I'm looking forward to your results!

Very cool UKsmoker! :thumb:

First chance to try out my homemade adapter and party Q controller on some beef ribs from my butcher, did one with SP and one with a mocha rub.Got the PBC running at 230F with a chunk of oak for 8hrs,and the ribs came off so tender, looking forward to trying a butt or brisket next.

Did a turkey and my brisket yesterday. First time doing a turkey on a PBC. I borrowed a friend's PBC for the turkey. Started the gig at 5:30am. Brisket on at 5:45 am on the USMC PBC. Rigged for tent around 7:30 as the forecast was for rain all day (of course, no rain because I put up the tents). Turkey went on the Army PBC with a combination of Bell's Seasoning and PBC All Purpose rub around 11:45 with the game plan of a 4 hour cook.

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

Brisket went to foil around 12:30 and I noticed fire management problems with the Army PBC. That cooker was running around 375* or about 100 over target. I started flipping out thinking that the turkey would be done 3 hrs before guests arrive (remember the turkey in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation?)

2015-12-23-1450864085-1874102-20150613_195552.jpg

IMG_3564.JPG

On the phone to Noah at PBC. decided to do a “cooler rest” like the brisket. I refocused my attention to some beer and the mac and cheese that my wife prepped for me.
IMG_3565.JPG

Pulled the mac & cheese and got the turkey & brisket from their coolers.
The turkey came out great even with a 2 1/2 rest. The first cut into it shot juices out forcing me to retreat long enough to clean my glasses.

IMG_3568.JPG

The brisket was blurry but delicious as well.
IMG_3569.JPG

At one point, I have 2 PBC’s, the kettle and the gasser all running at once.

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

Everyone had a great time. A friend came over with "Fauxtato Salad" which is a really delicious dish made to look and taste like potato salad but made with cauliflower. Needless to say, I heard raves about the food all night.
Finished off the night with some Bailey's pudding shots that my wife whipped up.

Pretty safe to say that I will never put a bird in an oven again. I have done them on offsets, fryers, kettles and grills. Now that I have a clue as to what I'm doing with the PBC, I will go with the PBC now every time. What else can I smoke. I will now be experimenting. Noah's customer service is 2nd to none. He called me back withing 4 minutes of my voice mail to him.

On a side note, while still on the phone with Noah, I did ask about the PartyQ adapter and he said real soon (I hope)

UKsmoker, as Ren would say, "Steempy, I so covet that adapter". With my birthday creeping up like a cheap pair of shorts, I have dropped some serious hints that I want the PartyQ and printed copy of Meadhead's The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling. I did talk to Noah yesterday and he said soon for the authorized PBC adapter :clap: :dancer:

Bob, thanks. The pics really don't convey how great it turned out. I think I need to hire my wife or son as a photographer for future cooks. I am super in front of a cooking implement but suck a$$ lousy behind a camera. I guess I'm to busy salivating or looking for a beer :wink:

Great cook Mike! Now the question is which barrel was superior USMC or Army? :becky:
Hand's down USMC, Guardians of the gates to hell"

Just kidding... THe army barrel had issues because my boss who I borrowed it from, never used anything but a char-broil gasser until last month. It wasn't adjusted correctly and he just thought it was the way it was supposed to be.
I failed to check that before starting out yesterday. Never assume that the truck you borrow has gas in the tank. I feel pretty confident that it will run as advertised and once I actually give him some tips, he will turn out some great cooks.

As I said earlier, It would be fun to get a cook going with all branches plus pd and fd barrels. Maybe a inter-service competition?

Hand's down USMC, Guardians of the gates to hell"

Just kidding... THe army barrel had issues because my boss who I borrowed it from, never used anything but a char-broil gasser until last month. It wasn't adjusted correctly and he just thought it was the way it was supposed to be.
I failed to check that before starting out yesterday. Never assume that the truck you borrow has gas in the tank. I feel pretty confident that it will run as advertised and once I actually give him some tips, he will turn out some great cooks.

As I said earlier, It would be fun to get a cook going with all branches plus pd and fd barrels. Maybe a inter-service competition?

True! Or if they borrow it form you and bring it back. :biggrin1:

Maybe the next PBC TD for inter-service comp? What sayeth Andrew? :becky:

Today's cook

Came home from work at 720 this morning. Started a basket of charcoal and began trimming a 16.7 lb choice angus packer from SAMs. Took a a nap until 2 pm and wrapped in butcher paper. ( my first time trying this) Now it is almost 5 and starting to rain. I will go check it and decide if I will need to finish in the oven or how close it is.

I love how the PBC can go with minimal input from me, and still turn out great food.

True! Or if they borrow it form you and bring it back. :biggrin1:

Maybe the next PBC TD for inter-service comp? What sayeth Andrew? :becky:

Lol......man it was hard enough doing a PBC only TD. I dont think some of the non PBC owners liked the idea. I think the mods had to run a little interference to keep things peaceful from what i remember.....:biggrin1:

oops said too much.

anyone know how much the partyq adapter will be? not sure its needed on the pbc.

Lol......man it was hard enough doing a PBC only TD. I dont think some of the non PBC owners liked the idea. I think the mods had to run a little interference to keep things peaceful from what i remember.....:biggrin1:

I'm not ex military but have no problem with a cookoff of the various military and service models. Would be fun to watch.

First chance to try out my homemade adapter and party Q controller on some beef ribs from my butcher, did one with SP and one with a mocha rub.Got the PBC running at 230F with a chunk of oak for 8hrs,and the ribs came off so tender, looking forward to trying a butt or brisket next.

Great seeing your results, they make my mouth water. Just curious, how close did the PQ track to your Redi-Check?

Did a turkey and my brisket yesterday. First time doing a turkey on a PBC. I borrowed a friend's PBC for the turkey. Started the gig at 5:30am. Brisket on at 5:45 am on the USMC PBC. Rigged for tent around 7:30 as the forecast was for rain all day (of course, no rain because I put up the tents). Turkey went on the Army PBC with a combination of Bell's Seasoning and PBC All Purpose rub around 11:45 with the game plan of a 4 hour cook.

Everyone had a great time. A friend came over with "Fauxtato Salad" which is a really delicious dish made to look and taste like potato salad but made with cauliflower. Needless to say, I heard raves about the food all night.
Finished off the night with some Bailey's pudding shots that my wife whipped up.

Pretty safe to say that I will never put a bird in an oven again. I have done them on offsets, fryers, kettles and grills. Now that I have a clue as to what I'm doing with the PBC, I will go with the PBC now every time. What else can I smoke. I will now be experimenting. Noah's customer service is 2nd to none. He called me back withing 4 minutes of my voice mail to him.

On a side note, while still on the phone with Noah, I did ask about the PartyQ adapter and he said real soon (I hope)

You are one busy man. I think the beer really helped things. Will be interesting to see what Noah comes up with for the PQ. I think BBQGuru should give me one for promoting it lol

Back