Oh boy! The WSM guys are going to hate you now. :becky:

Oops, I too new to stir the pot!

I'll find out how it works out soon enough.

BTW, I got some of the mysterious and elusive Pink Butcher Paper from a small and obscure, lesser known online shopping website named after a large river in South America. White paper should be fine, but I ran across the pink stuff and its description includes BBQ use. I love using paper instead of foil. I think there is a distinct difference.

How far above the coal basket does the grate sit on your mod?

I've seen the pink butcher paper on that website. Almost bought some but then found the white stuff at Sam's. The pink was $28 for 18"x150'. Sam's has the white 18"x900' for $30. :shocked::shocked:.......Still havent bought any yet though....lol......But I think the pink has magical powers :becky:

How far above the coal basket does the grate sit on your mod?

I've seen the pink butcher paper on that website. Almost bought some but then found the white stuff at Sam's. The pink was $28 for 18"x150'. Sam's has the white 18"x900' for $30. :shocked::shocked:.......Still havent bought any yet though....lol......But I think the pink has magical powers :becky:

It sits 1/2 inch above the coal basket handle. It may limit hanging long food but I will work with it. if I really need to hanks something long I don't have to use it.

I got the 24" butcher paper but actually shouldda got the 36. And yes the pink stuff has magic powers. I keep some in my pocket all the time.

It sits 1/2 inch above the coal basket handle. It may limit hanging long food but I will work with it. if I really need to hanks something long I don't have to use it.

I got the 24" butcher paper but actually shouldda got the 36. And yes the pink stuff has magic powers. I keep some in my pocket all the time.

1/2" above the handle is perfect in my book. Anything you hang is recommended to be 1-2" above the coals so that gives you plenty of room. You better not talk me into drilling my PBC :shocked: lol. Like I said though, I've been wanting to try a cook where I catch drippings for awhile now ...

So what magic is going on when the pink paper is in your pocket?? :heh:

Cook-off update

I spoke with Noah today and he is willing to donate prizes for the winner if we can pull off this PBC cook-off. He was very open to the idea and is even willing to give more than I expected. We haven't worked out exactly what the prize(s) will be yet but will as long as it looks like I can pull off figuring out how to get it all started.....where to create the thread, rules, talley votes, ect, we'll have some PBC related prizes (accessories, rub, ect).

I'm shooting for starting it next Friday and going through the following weekend. 14-23 May. We will see.

I will not participate since I'm putting it together (poor form in my opinion) but I'm curious how many of you would participate if we did this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I spoke with Noah today and he is willing to donate prizes for the winner if we can pull off this cookout. He was very open to the idea and is even willing to give more than I expected. We haven't worked out exactly what the prize(s) will be yet but will as long as it looks like I can pull off figuring out how to get it all started.....where to create the thread, rules, talley votes, ect, we'll have some PBC related prizes (accessories, rub, ect).

I'm shooting for starting it next Friday and going through the following weekend. 14-23 May. We will see.

I will not participate since I'm putting it together (poor form in my opinion) but I'm curious how many of you would participate if we did this?

Thanks!

You can count me in. Thanks for organizing this Andrew. Should be fun and tasty.

After only one cook on my PBC I took a drill to it. Yes, I know I have a problem, but I just embrace the illness and roll with it. I am a serial modder.

I wanted to have the option of a water pan. The food was great on this thing last night but I want to be able avoid having juices drip onto the coals enabling me to have options for flavor.

It was ~ 10 minute surgery.

[/ATTACH]

Update on the water pan/diffuser: I did some ribs and a bird today cause it has been nearly 2 full days since I smoked last. I tested the water pan. There is definitely a different flavor when there are no juices dripping on the coals.

However, I don't think the extra moisture is needed or wanted for me. I like bark and the extra moisture from the water pan inhibited that a bit.

A note on hanging meat: At least at this early stage in my PBC experience (though I am an experienced smoker in general) I think there is a difference in the final outcome when hanging the meat vs using the grate, at least with chicken. To make a long story short I had to cook the chicken on the grate and it was not quite as good as when I hung it a couple days before. The skin was not as crispy. Of note; I had removed the water pan when I cooked the chicken, so that could not have been a factor.

Anyway, I am not sure which method I like better yet. I will continue cook with both methods, water pan/diffuser and sans water pan.

Here are a couple of pics:

Attachments

• IMG_4463.jpg
    IMG_4463.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4467.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for the update.....Those ribs look great! I didn't think you'd feel the water pan necessary. The PBC keeps everything moist without, plus like you said, you'll get a better bark (or crispier skin on chicken) without water.
The flavor profile without letting the drippings hit the coals should be a more mild more traditional wood smoked flavor. Very similar to what you'd get out of smoking on a weber kettle or WSM. I like that flavor as much as I like the flavor you get from letting the drippings hit the coals. They are different but equally as good to me. Some people don't like the stronger flavor from the drippings hitting the coals. I believe your idea would help them obtain the flavor profile they are looking for....:thumb:

If you wanted the diffuser minuses the water you can fill the pan with sand to act as a heat sink.

Your ribs look wonderful.

If you wanted the diffuser minuses the water you can fill the pan with sand to act as a heat sink.

Your ribs look wonderful.

I may just not out anything in it and just use as a drip pan and see. But sand would be easy and cheap to try as well. I have heard folks doing that with their WSM. Thanks.

I'm immigrating my PBC over from Washington state that is still new in box that I purchased last November. Will there be a receipt in the box? I'm pretty sure I received an email with a receipt as well but I can't seem to find it. I searched "Pit Barrel Cooker" in my email search and nothing came up. Any idea what address they send their e-receipts from?

I know there's paperwork in the box but I don't think it's a receipt. Just call Noah at Pit Barrel. They'll help you out.

Sooooooo I finally made that 6lb brisket and the family frigging loved it. I thought it was dryer than it should be. but everyone else disagreed. It was super tender. I didnt realize how juicy it was until i reheated it today and the juice poured out of if. It tasted amazing. i def have to get more of the beef and game rub from the company. I was worried it was going to come out bad because i always read about the stall the stall the stall.... and yeah this flat powered right through it. I monitored it with my igrill the whole times. probably 3 hours hanging and another hour and a half on the grate wrapped in foil. def will try to buy some butcher paper next time, i understand very well now about mushing up the bark. Outside of that. It was frigging great! Thanks to you all in here with pics and posting and answering questions. i was extremely intimidated into not trying it, Im so glad i did now. Smoked i with some small chunks of apple wood. Just enough smoke to make it perfect.

Back